drive. The reason is whenever I do a re-install of my operating system all
my saved data on the second hard drive is still there and I don't have to
worry about losing my data unless the hard drive it's on goes bad.

Now I just bought a new 200 GB external hard drive and plan to keep my data
on that drive freeing up my #2 hard drive. Here is my question,

Could I install my operating system on hard drive#1 and then whenever I
install any programs install them on #2 hard drive. I know I can do this but
what I want to know is, if I had to re-install my operating system again on
#1 hard drive ,once installed would all my programs still be available on #2
hard drive ? I'm trying to figure out a way that I don't have to re-install
every program again when I do a re-install of my operating system.

Will this work???
4 answers Last reply
More about questions install

    Just Me wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > For a few years now I have had Win XP Pro, I have always installed the
    > operating system on my # 1 hard drive and I save everything to my #2 hard
    > drive. The reason is whenever I do a re-install of my operating system all
    > my saved data on the second hard drive is still there and I don't have to
    > worry about losing my data unless the hard drive it's on goes bad.
    >
    > Now I just bought a new 200 GB external hard drive and plan to keep my data
    > on that drive freeing up my #2 hard drive. Here is my question,
    >
    > Could I install my operating system on hard drive#1 and then whenever I
    > install any programs install them on #2 hard drive. I know I can do this but
    > what I want to know is, if I had to re-install my operating system again on
    > #1 hard drive ,once installed would all my programs still be available on #2
    > hard drive ? I'm trying to figure out a way that I don't have to re-install
    > every program again when I do a re-install of my operating system.
    >
    > Will this work???

    Not as you envison it. Reinstalling the OS creates a new registry and
    all the program information written to the registry during the original
    application install will have been lost. The programs for the most part
    won't be usable. It's fine to put programs on a second partition or
    drive but then to recover both at once use a drive imaging program to
    create backup images of both drives / partitions. Then if there is a
    problem restore both. Store the images on an external drive or DVD
    media. Programs of this type are Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image and
    Terabyte Unlimited's Image for Windows and BootIt NG.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    In article <11co1crl3b3o296@corp.supernews.com>, no@isp, Just Me says...

    > Hi,
    >
    > For a few years now I have had Win XP Pro, I have always installed the
    > operating system on my # 1 hard drive and I save everything to my #2 hard
    > drive. The reason is whenever I do a re-install of my operating system all
    > my saved data on the second hard drive is still there and I don't have to
    > worry about losing my data unless the hard drive it's on goes bad.

    Makes good sense..............

    > Now I just bought a new 200 GB external hard drive and plan to keep my data
    > on that drive freeing up my #2 hard drive. Here is my question,
    >
    > Could I install my operating system on hard drive#1 and then whenever I
    > install any programs install them on #2 hard drive. I know I can do this but
    > what I want to know is, if I had to re-install my operating system again on
    > #1 hard drive ,once installed would all my programs still be available on #2
    > hard drive ? I'm trying to figure out a way that I don't have to re-install
    > every program again when I do a re-install of my operating system.
    >
    > Will this work???

    Now that you have bigger drives you may consider drive#1 as your OS
    install with all program installs and use imaging software to backup
    your whole system.....Installing progs to a second drive is BIG problems
    in my eyes especially with re-association....In your scenario you'll
    lose it all..........

    Imaging software will make a copy of your entire OS to another source,
    drive#2 for example....I have not had experiences with external drives
    and imaging software actually seeing then especially USB so I have no
    experience with that............

    I use PowerQuest Drive Image, don't wanna recommend anything else as I
    do not use others & have no experience with them..........

    Just Me wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > For a few years now I have had Win XP Pro, I have always installed the
    > operating system on my # 1 hard drive and I save everything to my #2 hard
    > drive. The reason is whenever I do a re-install of my operating system all
    > my saved data on the second hard drive is still there and I don't have to
    > worry about losing my data unless the hard drive it's on goes bad.

    A very sensible approach. Placing data files on a partition or
    physical hard drive separate from the operating system and applications
    can greatly simplify system repairs/recoveries and data back-up.

    > Now I just bought a new 200 GB external hard drive and plan to keep my data
    > on that drive freeing up my #2 hard drive. Here is my question,
    >
    > Could I install my operating system on hard drive#1 and then whenever I
    > install any programs install them on #2 hard drive. I know I can do this but
    > what I want to know is, if I had to re-install my operating system again on
    > #1 hard drive ,once installed would all my programs still be available on #2
    > hard drive ? I'm trying to figure out a way that I don't have to re-install
    > every program again when I do a re-install of my operating system.
    >
    > Will this work???

    No, it won't. There's really very little point in having a separate
    drive or partition for just applications. Should you have to reinstall
    the OS, you'll still have to reinstall each and every application and
    game anyway, in order to recreate the hundreds (possibly thousands) of
    registry entries and to replace the dozens (possibly hundreds) of
    essential system files back into the appropriate Windows folders and
    sub-folders. This is a useful solution only if your system partition
    lacks sufficient space for all of your applications.

    You could use the #2 Hard drive to store backups or images of the
    system partition (Drive #1) for quick disaster recovery.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "Just Me" <no@isp,com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > For a few years now I have had Win XP Pro, I have always installed the
    > operating system on my # 1 hard drive and I save everything to my #2 hard
    > drive. The reason is whenever I do a re-install of my operating system all
    > my saved data on the second hard drive is still there and I don't have to
    > worry about losing my data unless the hard drive it's on goes bad.
    >
    > Now I just bought a new 200 GB external hard drive and plan to keep my
    > data
    > on that drive freeing up my #2 hard drive. Here is my question,
    >
    > Could I install my operating system on hard drive#1 and then whenever I
    > install any programs install them on #2 hard drive. I know I can do this
    > but
    > what I want to know is, if I had to re-install my operating system again
    > on
    > #1 hard drive ,once installed would all my programs still be available on
    > hard drive ? I'm trying to figure out a way that I don't have to
    > re-install
    > every program again when I do a re-install of my operating system.
    >
    > Will this work???

    Just Me:
    Well, you could *do* what you propose, but I wonder if there's a more
    practical alternative, to wit...

    Couldn't you install *both* your OS and all your programs on drive #1 and
    use drive #2 for the data files you create? Then use a disk imaging program
    such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to "clone" the
    contents of your two internal drives to your external HD? In this way you
    would be able to maintain a near-failsafe backup system encompassing *all*
    the data on your two drives and should the time come when you need to
    restore the OS, your programs and data, you could do so in a relatively
    simple and straightforward fashion through the disk cloning process.
    Anna

Windows XP Hard Drives External Hard Drive