Zork I/Dungeon Discrepancies

Al

I am presently playing Ethan's new version of Dungeon (Release 13)

I notice that in Dungeon the Bank Entrance is to the West of the Art
Gallery
and in Zork I to the west of Art Gallery is the room titled " East of
Chasm"'

Can anyone explain the discrepancy?

I thought Zork I-III was an accurate reproduction of Dungeon.

Slightly confused

Al <radical1@qadas.com> wrote in message news:<413C76A5.B2F0A636@qadas.com>...
> I am presently playing Ethan's new version of Dungeon (Release 13)
>
> I notice that in Dungeon the Bank Entrance is to the West of the Art
> Gallery and in Zork I to the west of Art Gallery is the room titled
> "East of Chasm"'
>
> Can anyone explain the discrepancy?
>
> I thought Zork I-III was an accurate reproduction of Dungeon.
>
> Slightly confused

Al,

I wrote you back directly, but now that I see this question, I better
understand what you were asking about.

The Bank of Zork appears in Zork II, so the Implementors had to fiddle
with the Dungeon map around the Gallery for Zork I to erase its presence
there.

Other map changes include removing the Royal Puzzle from adjacent to
the Thief's Lair (Zork I) and putting it someplace completely new (Zork III),
moving the Glacier and the Volcano from Zork I to someplace completely
different in Zork II (and changing the method of getting past the Glacier),
and moving the Alice Rooms out of the space accessible to Zork I into Zork II
space. The Palantir Puzzle was redone (not just moved) for Zork II, and the
Slide/Rope puzzle wasn't reseen until Sorcerer.

So... the Implementors did rather a lot of geographic reorganization when
then split Dungeon apart, with elements appearing over 4 games. Zork I
retains the closest resemblence to the original map, but it's not identical.

-ethan

http://penguincentral.com/retrocomputing/zdungeon/

Al

Ethan Dicks wrote:

> I wrote you back directly, but now that I see this question, I better
> understand what you were asking about.
>
> The Bank of Zork appears in Zork II, so the Implementors had to fiddle
> with the Dungeon map around the Gallery for Zork I to erase its presence
> there.
>
> Other map changes include removing the Royal Puzzle from adjacent to
> the Thief's Lair (Zork I) and putting it someplace completely new (Zork III),
> moving the Glacier and the Volcano from Zork I to someplace completely
> different in Zork II (and changing the method of getting past the Glacier),
> and moving the Alice Rooms out of the space accessible to Zork I into Zork II
> space. The Palantir Puzzle was redone (not just moved) for Zork II, and the
> Slide/Rope puzzle wasn't reseen until Sorcerer.
>
> So... the Implementors did rather a lot of geographic reorganization when
> then split Dungeon apart, with elements appearing over 4 games. Zork I
> retains the closest resemblence to the original map, but it's not identical.

Thanks again to both you and Richard Bos for pointing out the discrepancies.

Al

Al <radical1@qadas.com> wrote:

> I am presently playing Ethan's new version of Dungeon (Release 13)
>
> I notice that in Dungeon the Bank Entrance is to the West of the Art
> Gallery
> and in Zork I to the west of Art Gallery is the room titled " East of
> Chasm"'
>
> Can anyone explain the discrepancy?
>
> I thought Zork I-III was an accurate reproduction of Dungeon.

It's not, and never has been. Zork I-II have had areas added and
reworked; this was necessary, since the split into two games required a
rebalancing of the puzzles, and some things that are connected in
Dungeon no longer are in Zork. For example, the Bank is in Zork II,
while the cellar is in Zork I, so the two can no longer be connected at
all. As for Zork III, it's almost entirely new, except for the Royal
Puzzle and the endgame.

Richard

Al

Richard Bos wrote:

> It's not, and never has been. Zork I-II have had areas added and
> reworked; this was necessary, since the split into two games required a
> rebalancing of the puzzles, and some things that are connected in
> Dungeon no longer are in Zork. For example, the Bank is in Zork II,
> while the cellar is in Zork I, so the two can no longer be connected at
> all. As for Zork III, it's almost entirely new, except for the Royal
> Puzzle and the endgame.

This explains why Ethan's version is different than Zork I.

Thanks for the input. I'll bet there are a lot of players out
there who are learning this as well for the first time.

Al

ethan.dicks@gmail.com (Ethan Dicks) wrote in

> The Palantir Puzzle was redone (not just moved) for Zork II, and the
> Slide/Rope puzzle wasn't reseen until Sorcerer.

Nor was the matchbook puzzle, in the interest of completeness.

Dave Doty

David Doty <davedoty@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns955DACB3A65A8dsdoty@38.119.71.33>...
> ethan.dicks@gmail.com (Ethan Dicks) wrote in
>
> > The Palantir Puzzle was redone (not just moved) for Zork II, and the
> > Slide/Rope puzzle wasn't reseen until Sorcerer.
>
> Nor was the matchbook puzzle, in the interest of completeness.

Ah, yes... so it was. It's so early in the game, I forgot it.

David Doty wrote:

> Nor was the matchbook puzzle, in the interest of completeness.

Also I just found the brick in Dungeon which appears in the Attic
doesn't show up till Zork III I believe.

Al

Al <radical1@qadas.com> wrote in news:414200C7.C188EE04@qadas.com:

> Also I just found the brick in Dungeon which appears in the Attic
> doesn't show up till Zork III I believe.

The explosive brick? That's in Zork II.

Dave Doty

"Glenn P.," <C128UserDELETE-THIS@FVI.Net> wrote in

> Speaking of Dungeon, anyone know where I might find a walkthrough for
> it...???

Don't remember where I found it, but I know I saw one. If no one else
gives you a concrete URL, check Baf's guide for a link. Or Google for it.

Dave Doty

David Doty <davedoty@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns95A5AD21DD1D6dsdoty@38.119.71.33>...
> "Glenn P.," <C128UserDELETE-THIS@FVI.Net> wrote in
>
> > Speaking of Dungeon, anyone know where I might find a walkthrough for
> > it...???
>
> Don't remember where I found it, but I know I saw one. If no one else
> gives you a concrete URL, check Baf's guide for a link. Or Google for it.
>
> Dave Doty

There's a Dungeon solution in the IF archive:

http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/solutions/dungeon.sol