Upgrading to XP and 512MB

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Memory
September 11, 2004 5:46:07 PM

Hey folks,

Got an MSI 6318 mobo with an Intel PIII 733Mhz CPU; VIA VT82C694X Chipset; 300W PSU. Currently she has 2 sticks of RAM equaling 256MB. One is PC 133 the other PC 100. It's running. She wants to upgrade the OS to XP and booost RAM to 512.

I checked the mobo's specs and it states that it can only handle a MAX of 512MB @ 32MBx8. I'm not versed on RAM architecture that's why I'm asking if a 512MB double-sided stick would work on this board. The mobo has only two banks. From what I understand it can only deal with a maximum of 256MB @32x8 per bank. Does that mean that I have to buy two sticks of 256MB then? If so do the sticks have to be 32x8.

Please explain and recommendations if possible.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>

More about : upgrading 512mb

a b } Memory
September 12, 2004 2:28:46 AM

That garbage chipset has only one reasonably good trait: it works with nearly any PC133. If you have PC100 on a PIII 733, you're loosing performance, make sure both new sticks are PC133.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 12, 2004 2:34:10 AM

Hey Crashman,

Glad to hear from you again!

So you're telling me that it'll work with any PC 133 RAM regardless of memory size and architecture?

The PC 100 was just to fill the other bank and I know it's slowing the whole system down.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.aspx?member=120067" target="_new">My System</A>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b } Memory
September 12, 2004 3:02:52 AM

What I'm saying is that most of today's cheap PC133 is actually made for that chipset. There might be some that doesn't work, but you're not likely to find it.

It pisses me off a bit because the best PIII chipsets (BX based) had a lower density limit and you can't find RAM for those unless you special order it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b } Memory
September 12, 2004 4:57:32 AM

XP sucks up a lot of RAM, and having it run at 3/4 bus speed makes the problem even worse.

The lack of pickyness comes from the BX being a much older chipset, I think it's memory controller goes all the way back to the TX Pentium 1 chipset.

a b } Memory
September 12, 2004 6:25:21 AM

You can donate the old RAM to me, it should be low density due to it's age.