Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Slow/Jerky

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 6, 2005 10:32:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi all,
Using an HP machine, 2.1 processor, 768 Ram, 40Gig Hard Drive, 3 Meg
Broadband Internet, about three years old and well used.
Broadband works very well, really fast.
Ordinary use keeps 'stalling' on all programs, that is to say a program or
function will be running, then stop for a moment , then run again. If I use
Real Player or Windows Media Player, same thing, it stops momentarily and
restarts, the picture stays there, it doesn't close down, but it 'stalls'.
Even using something like Spider Solitaire from the basic Windows Menu it
will do it, ie the cards start dealing, stop and then restart.
Tried all manner of McCafee Virus Check, Spysweeper, Registry Mechanic and
others, all to no avail.
Beginning to think its a hardware problem, any one got any ideas?
Regards,
Alan.

More about : slow jerky

July 6, 2005 10:32:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alan wrote:

> Hi all,
> Using an HP machine, 2.1 processor, 768 Ram, 40Gig Hard Drive, 3 Meg
> Broadband Internet, about three years old and well used.
> Broadband works very well, really fast.
> Ordinary use keeps 'stalling' on all programs, that is to say a program or
> function will be running, then stop for a moment , then run again. If I use
> Real Player or Windows Media Player, same thing, it stops momentarily and
> restarts, the picture stays there, it doesn't close down, but it 'stalls'.
> Even using something like Spider Solitaire from the basic Windows Menu it
> will do it, ie the cards start dealing, stop and then restart.
> Tried all manner of McCafee Virus Check, Spysweeper, Registry Mechanic and
> others, all to no avail.
> Beginning to think its a hardware problem, any one got any ideas?
> Regards,
> Alan.

Have you opened task manager and watched the process list to see what is
eating cup time when these momentary slowdowns occur?

See this link for some tips on a slow computer:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

Also do some clean boot troubleshooting:

How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434



--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
July 6, 2005 11:54:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks a lot Rock,
I'll try those and let you know,
Regards,
Alan.
"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:uJH%23qhlgFHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Alan wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Using an HP machine, 2.1 processor, 768 Ram, 40Gig Hard Drive, 3 Meg
>> Broadband Internet, about three years old and well used.
>> Broadband works very well, really fast.
>> Ordinary use keeps 'stalling' on all programs, that is to say a program
>> or function will be running, then stop for a moment , then run again. If
>> I use Real Player or Windows Media Player, same thing, it stops
>> momentarily and restarts, the picture stays there, it doesn't close down,
>> but it 'stalls'. Even using something like Spider Solitaire from the
>> basic Windows Menu it will do it, ie the cards start dealing, stop and
>> then restart.
>> Tried all manner of McCafee Virus Check, Spysweeper, Registry Mechanic
>> and others, all to no avail.
>> Beginning to think its a hardware problem, any one got any ideas?
>> Regards,
>> Alan.
>
> Have you opened task manager and watched the process list to see what is
> eating cup time when these momentary slowdowns occur?
>
> See this link for some tips on a slow computer:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
>
> Also do some clean boot troubleshooting:
>
> How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560
>
> How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434
>
>
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
>
July 6, 2005 11:54:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Alan wrote:

> Thanks a lot Rock,
> I'll try those and let you know,
> Regards,
> Alan.

You're welcome.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
!