Windows 7 Shrink Volume Limit

Armesh

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I just installed a fresh new copy of Windows 7 Professional 64 bit to my newly bought free dos computer yesterday. Later I installed my motherboard drivers, monitor drivers and optical disk drivers. I also installed CC cleaner.

Now I am trying to partition my 500GB Hardisk. The C: drive is around 465GB so I want to reduce C: to 150GB (OS+Programs/Software) and make another D: drive which will have the rest 315GB (Personal files + games).

The problem now is there is a limit in the shrink volume amount. And this limit i quite big. It only lets me reduce the C: drive to 243GB. Here is the Screenshot:

I tried disabling Shadows Copy, Paging File, Hibernation and System Restore but its still the same. I also tried defragging using the default windows defragger but nothing worked. Pls help me.

Well, as the message seems to indicate, there appears to be unmovable files on the disk at a place on the disk that will not let the volume shrink beyond that point.

Do a defrag and have a look at where these files may be located.

Also, if the Windows partition manager doesn't do the job, a free third-party tool like GParted or EaseUS may just do the trick.

Sitoshi

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Try partition Magic. Simple, easy and no fuss. Seems to work all the times i try to do something like this. It has even helped me recover volumes in the past when things have mucked up.