I HATE Optical Mice

lividimp

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
...yet that is all you can seem to buy now. If you want something more than a junkie two button wheel-mouse, you can forget using a ball. I hate the way optical mice continue to track for a moment after lifting up the mouse. As a hardcore gamer, this really throws me off. I have tried tweaking the these optical mice to be less sensitive with no luck. I need a mouse that stops moving the moment the mouse is picked up. I'd pay good money for a MX1000 type mouse with a ball and a cord. It seems like others would like this too, so why doesn't anyone make these? Does any one know of any nice 4+ button ball mice out there, or any other method I can solve this mouse problem?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
all i use are cheap 17 dollar microsoft mice, they dont do what you say.

go tell your alien brothers, that ronnie cordova says they're gay!!! <A HREF="http://sockbaby.com" target="_new"> sock baby </A>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The Razor Boomslang is probably the newest/best ball mouse you are going to find. It has an optical sensor in it that reads a ball instead of the surface of the table/mousepad directly.
I used a ball mouse for the longest time but I have now accepted the greatness of an optical mouse. It took a bit to break myself of lifting up the mouse all the time while gaming but it was worth it. Optical really is the way to go.
New optical/laser mice are much better about the tracking thing than older ones.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Yeah, I think the optical mouse is much better in the long run. It's like anything else, you just have to use it right.
But, you could try something like <A HREF="http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?dept_id=34&pid=6051&sid=QSMDGL6W0BLK8KQFKK5QSHUKAJ8LFV18" target="_new"> this </A>.
This is a trackball for your thumb. It doesn't have to be lifted off the table at all. That's the advantage. But, you stil have to train yourself to use it like anything else. I used that trackball for a long time when I first started Counter-Strike and I did really well with it once I got use to it.
Up to you.

<font color=blue> Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. </font color=blue>

draco

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
I use a slightly older mouse. The Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel. It has a great ergonomic shape, a thumb button, a wheel button, is cordless, but has a roller ball. I think the responsive times in games is great. Check eBay. You can probably pick one up for $10.

jaculum

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I use the MX1000 and I still pick up the mouse. I don't do it very often since I play with high sensitivity, but something I've learned to do since my first optical mouse is that if you grip the bottom edge with you thumb and pinky finger when you pick it up then you can raise it beyond the sensors range and quickly bring the mouse back down without excessive shock to the mouse since the edges of your fingers act as a cushion. With a bit of practice it will seem natural. I don't even realize that I'm doing it most of the time.

TigrisJK

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
My K/D dropped when I bought an optical years ago. I'm not much of a hardcore gamer now, so that could be a factor. Nonetheless, I feel a ball mouse is a solid choice if only for their higher resolutions in comparison to optical, for the price, but I'm rather resigned to my optical mouse these days (since I don't feel like cashing out on a new mouse).

CCanadian_Bacon

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
i do have ana ctual method of fixing it slightly, but i don't know if it effects precision.

get some teflon feet and apply them to the bottom of your mouse, it'll lift up your mouse and make it less noticeable. i used this on my mx1000 mouse and it seemed to help quite a bit on my icemat mousepad.

offtopic: mx1000+low sensitivity+icemat= AnOnO mx1000 doesn't like it when you move to fast on the icemat, it jsut locks up. it might be a hardware problem but i doubt it sicne it works flawlessly on any other surface.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I'd be careful, there's probably some group out there for the ethical treatment of optical mice. If your mouse turns up mangled, it could be considered a hate crime. Seriously, I don't seem to have any problems with my Kensington Optical Pro. Good luck.