Sign in with
Your question

VX922 problem....or is it me?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 13, 2007 6:22:16 PM

Just got my very first LCD, so I was a little worried. Unfortunately, I have not had a good introduction.

The viewsonic VX922 was brought mainly for gaming, so was a little disappointed to find a lot of painful blurring during COD2. When I turn, it's so painful on my eyes that I can't play for longer that 15 minutes. And when the action gets fast and furious, it's even worse. It also gives me a headache!

Back to the desktop, I can replicate the effect by simply dragging any window from side to side, where the vertical lines will break up alarmingly.

Oh, and the black text has a nasty green tinge to it.

Please tell me this is not normal. Tell me that I have a problem with the monitor.

As I say, this is my first serious venture into LCD, and I'm not impressed.

Brand new system:

XP Home (up to date)
Core 2 Duo 6400
2 GB XMS2 Corsair
WD 250gb SATA2
P5B Asus board
X1950-PRO

No problems if I put on the old monitor.

Oh, and the screen is the native res of 1280 x 1084, @ either 60 or 70 Hz with no diff.

Any suggestions or reassurances?

More about : vx922 problem

February 13, 2007 7:37:43 PM

Tearing sounds like refresh rate.

As for motion blur/smearing, that is true of all LCD monitors; that is the weakness of LCD. No LCD monitor is free from motion blur/smearing except maybe for the special BFI or 120Hz models (which may or may not be true).

The green tint does not sound normal though. You could try adjusting some of the settings and/or looking on google and/or newegg's comments on the monitor to see if any other people have noticed it. If you bought the monitor in a store, you might want to consider an exchange and/or looking at the floor model to see if it has the same problem.
February 13, 2007 8:14:28 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I had read enough about motion blur on LCD's to expect some, but this is a lot worse than I thought. I guess different people have varying sensitivities though.

But this is so bad that I just simply cannot play serious games.

It's just outside the 10 day returns policy that we have here in the UK at the online store I bought it from. So I guess this monitor is an expensive addition to our home network, and I'll just have to get a nice cheap CRT off Ebay. Many CRT bargains to be had there at least :) 

Any other VX922 owners out there with comments?
February 14, 2007 5:42:06 AM

the ghosting is probably normal (dont have a vx922). but not to insult your intelligence or your system, make sure framerate is good (otherwise the effect can be identical to ghosting) - turn vsync on.

lagging framerates and "ghosting" are technically the same phenomenon (pixels lagging behind the refresh rate, or "temporal aliasing". when framerates get really, really low you get "temporal judder").

i dunno what else - try DVI cable.
February 14, 2007 4:02:03 PM

Quote:
lagging framerates and "ghosting" are technically the same phenomenon (pixels lagging behind the refresh rate, or "temporal aliasing". when framerates get really, really low you get "temporal judder").

Actually, interestingly enough, they are quite different phenomena.

To be technical, ghosting refers not to response time motion blur/smearing, but to an effect caused by a bad signal being sent to the monitor (usually on a VGA connection using splitters like they do on store displays). Ghosting is where you see a faint copy of an object next to it.

Anyways, I know that you were referring to the response time issue when you mentioned "ghosting." Anyways, to clarify, the blurring/smearing effect that is caused by response time and framerates are two separate issues.

If the framerate is too low, then the picture will simply appear go very slowly and/or the information on the screen may not change often enough for your tastes. Even at a very low frame rate on a CRT monitor, motion can still appear very sharp and crisp, with the ability to pick out small details on moving objects.
On the other hand, blurring/smearing caused by the slow response time of LCD monitors results in objects that cannot be discerned very well during motion. This issue has to do with the fact that the pixels cannot change fast enough and instead of seeing sharp, distinct objects moving across the screen, you will, instead, see objects with blurred edges, which means that you cannot spot small details in objects that move fast or follow fast moving objects very well on an LCD monitor.
February 15, 2007 12:54:23 PM

i need to read more, but i meant to compare lagging framerates to the "sample n hold" effect ("ghosting" is different like you said). but i know that when pixels are not where they are supposed to be in time (wether held in the same spot or repeated in multiple frames) the effect is blur. i think thats the point of what this article is saying:

temporal rate conversion
February 15, 2007 4:28:46 PM

Quote:
i need to read more, but i meant to compare lagging framerates to the "sample n hold" effect ("ghosting" is different like you said). but i know that when pixels are not where they are supposed to be in time (wether held in the same spot or repeated in multiple frames) the effect is blur. i think thats the point of what this article is saying:

temporal rate conversion

Great link. That explains the blurring seen on LCD monitors. I had heard something about that before, but I wasn't quite ready to trust the sources. This link also shows more clearly why LCD monitors might do that -- guess we really need true 120Hz monitors :) , but then that would require some powerful GPUs for real 120Hz. :( 

It looks like a lot of the stuff on the page refers more to television and not to computers. From what I can tell, I don't think some of the things on there (like temperal jutter) would apply to computer specific things like games and desktop apps. However, it may have applications for movies on computers?... don't know.
April 22, 2007 5:14:38 PM

I have a vx922 and am not suffering from any of the problems your are mentioning. I have seen 8ms LCD blurring and the vx922's blurring is in no way as noticeable. As for the the greenish tinge it clearly shows a malfunction IMO. If you're still in time to give the monitor back I would strongly suggest you do so. I've had mine for 4 months and have had no issues with it whatsoever, neither with blurring nor with colour reproduction.
April 24, 2007 11:13:55 PM

Color wise i have to say im not having any problems.

I havent done any serious gaming yet as im waiting for the componets for the new rig to arrive.
!