SATA problem (or bad HDD?)

fact619

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
I have two SATA HDDs. The primary (with OS) is a WD Raptor 36 gb 10k RPM, and the other is a WD 250gb. At first I had them both connected (not RAID, through PROMISE) and it worked fine. Suddenly secondary drive was not detected in the PROMISE startup RAID Array screen and when the Windows XP loading screen came up it was very dim and faint and didn't come all the way into focus and froze (the blue bar did not go across the screen). I have since disconnected the secondary drive and it works fine (although the Windows loading screen fades into focus; I can't remeber if it did that before). The 250gb HDD cannot be detected in the promise raid array management.

Two things that may have happened at about the same time this did (although I don't know if they are related).
1) possibly happened after I installed the 9800 Pro
2) One of the capasitors or power coil ( it is copper wire ina semi circle coming of the board) was right up against the PSUFan connector. So I pushed it over to the side a little bit to connect the PSUFan. Since I have removed fan connector, and the copper coil is in its original position.
3) My 12+ rail has been running at like 11.8, I don't if that's too low or what

Thank you very much for any assitance.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try switching the ports they're connected to. Like where the cable meets the board. If the same thing happens, then the drive is prolly fvcked.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr