Not allowing instant messenger applicattions on XP

July 6, 2005 3:04:02 PM

Hi,

I would like to know if there is any reliable way to block instant messenger
applications in a XP machine that is in a workgroup. Not just removing de
Messenger that comes with XP, but also new versions of MSN messenger (6, 7,
etc).

I can´t control the firewall o thing like that, so the solution has to be
implemented in the XP machine.

Thanks for your time,

Darío
July 6, 2005 4:59:28 PM

Darío Díaz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is any reliable way to block instant
> messenger applications in a XP machine that is in a workgroup. Not
> just removing de Messenger that comes with XP, but also new versions
> of MSN messenger (6, 7, etc).
>
> I can´t control the firewall o thing like that, so the solution has to
> be implemented in the XP machine.
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Darío

Why can't you control the firewall? If you are using a firewall, you can
deny access to any instant messaging clients (and any other program you
want). Install a third-party firewall like Sygate or ZoneAlarm instead
of using the built-in Windows Firewall that comes with XP Service Pack
2. If you have more than a few computers so that individually
installing and configuring the third-party firewall would be onerous,
consider putting an Internet proxy server in place. If you want more
help, then give us more details about your setup and your end goals.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com