Upgrading RDRAM question

joe1138

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2004
I'm in the process of upgrading the RAM in my PC. Currently I'm using a Dell Dimension 8100 from way back in 2001 and have two 64 MB sticks of 4 channel RDRAM (yeah, I know), and want to upgrade to 1 GB. My BIOS clocks the channel speed at 400 MHz, however, I found a pretty good deal on a pair of PC600 sticks of 256 MB of RDRAM. I did a bit of research over at the Rambus site and came across this Q & A:

Q: I have a RDRAM-enabled PC or motherboard with 800MHz RDRAM. Can I upgrade to 1066MHz or 1200MHz?
A: Usually not. Whereas most systems can support slower RDRAM frequencies, the systems are not guaranteed to support to faster RDRAM frequencies. Please consult your PC or motherboard user's manual or manufacturer for details.

Both the question and answers were a little vague for my tastes and since I'm going to take out both sticks I'm currently using when I do the upgrade, I'd like to know if the PC600 memory will work on my system. (And incase you can't tell, yes I am a big newbie when it comes to this whole memory upgrading thing). I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.

RichPLS

Champion
Yes PC600 will work, but if you have PC800 in it, your system memory will run at the slower.
At least buy PC800 RDRAM, it will work either way.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Unless Dell played a dirty trick you should have PC800 in it now. You'll need PC800 or faster to keep it at stock speed. PC1066 will run at PC800 speed, but with no advantage gained over PC800.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>