How do I get rid of all the AOL stuff in my registry.
I have just purchased a new Packard Bell with 1G of Ram and it run slower
than a machine with 256k
Any ideas
Thanks Andrew

System Mechanic is a great utility program.
You can try it free for 30 days and the trial is fully functional.
http://www.iolo.com/sm/index.cfm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Andrewllan wrote:
> How do I get rid of all the AOL stuff in my registry.
> I have just purchased a new Packard Bell with 1G of Ram and it run slower
> than a machine with 256k
> Any ideas
> Thanks Andrew

Sadly, the only practical way I've ever found to completely
remove AOL from an operating system is to format the hard drive and
perform a clean installation. I absolutely loathe having to resort to
a hard drive format to fix what should be a relatively minor issue,
but it takes a lot less time than manually removing/replacing all of
the Windows system files that AOL replaces with their own versions and
the hundreds of unnecessary registry entries.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

I would do that but there are programs I want to keep and I don't know if I
invalidate the warrenty if I format hard disk.
Why can't someboby do something about Aol I didn't put it on the machine and
if I bought a system without an OS it would cost me another £100 to buy one,
they don't give you recovery disks anymore how many people back up their
system as the first thing you do. No wonder so many illegal copies exist £10
or £100 and that is after you just paid for one with your brand new machine
and it's a selling point that it has Windows XP!

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Andrewllan wrote:
> > How do I get rid of all the AOL stuff in my registry.
> > I have just purchased a new Packard Bell with 1G of Ram and it run slower
> > than a machine with 256k
> > Any ideas
> > Thanks Andrew
>

> Sadly, the only practical way I've ever found to completely
> remove AOL from an operating system is to format the hard drive and
> perform a clean installation. I absolutely loathe having to resort to
> a hard drive format to fix what should be a relatively minor issue,
> but it takes a lot less time than manually removing/replacing all of
> the Windows system files that AOL replaces with their own versions and
> the hundreds of unnecessary registry entries.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Two comments:

Reformatting your hard drive and then re-installing your OEM supplied
Windows OS should not invalidate the warranty. I would verify with your PB
support.

Unusual for an OEM to preinstall. AOL, MSM Explorer or other such ISP
software. What they usually do is pre-install a link to install AOL if you
so choose. If you did not choose to install AOL, all you have is the link.
If I recall correctly {been a few years}, you can uninstall the link to
install AOL from Add/Remove Programs {perhaps under Windows Components}.

Don

"Andrewllan" <Andrewllan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would do that but there are programs I want to keep and I don't know if I
> invalidate the warrenty if I format hard disk.
> Why can't someboby do something about Aol I didn't put it on the machine
> and
> if I bought a system without an OS it would cost me another £100 to buy
> one,
> they don't give you recovery disks anymore how many people back up their
> system as the first thing you do. No wonder so many illegal copies exist
> £10
> or £100 and that is after you just paid for one with your brand new
> machine
> and it's a selling point that it has Windows XP!
>
> "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
>
>> Andrewllan wrote:
>> > How do I get rid of all the AOL stuff in my registry.
>> > I have just purchased a new Packard Bell with 1G of Ram and it run
>> > slower
>> > than a machine with 256k
>> > Any ideas
>> > Thanks Andrew
>>

>> Sadly, the only practical way I've ever found to completely
>> remove AOL from an operating system is to format the hard drive and
>> perform a clean installation. I absolutely loathe having to resort to
>> a hard drive format to fix what should be a relatively minor issue,
>> but it takes a lot less time than manually removing/replacing all of
>> the Windows system files that AOL replaces with their own versions and
>> the hundreds of unnecessary registry entries.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>>
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> both at once. - RAH

bytor

In article <udLrkvxgFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, d7macm8@hotmail.com,
Don MI <> says...

> Two comments:
>
> Reformatting your hard drive and then re-installing your OEM supplied
> Windows OS should not invalidate the warranty. I would verify with your PB
> support.
>
> Unusual for an OEM to preinstall. AOL, MSM Explorer or other such ISP
> software. What they usually do is pre-install a link to install AOL if you
> so choose. If you did not choose to install AOL, all you have is the link.
> If I recall correctly {been a few years}, you can uninstall the link to
> install AOL from Add/Remove Programs {perhaps under Windows Components}.
>
> Don

I would sure hope they're just links......Back when I used to do Gateway
setups in homes AOL was already installed on the machine.....What pissed
me off more was that I was instructed to immedietly activate it with
customers credit card info without even giving the customer the option
if they wanted it......Start the process and then say, oh by the way I
need your credit card.......How screwed up is that? I can be safe to say
that on sheer principal alone I discontinued that part of my