Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router and MN-730

I have now messed with this thing for 2 hours. My MN-730
shows that it is connected and everything. Got excellent
siginal and 11.mps right now. I have disabled the IEEE
802.1x like i have read. When I look at my connection
status I am good. It says that I am sending out but not
receiveing. My other laptop is wireless as well and I can
connect to it's shared documents but not my wireless
router. I even access my linksys router and can't do that
either. Also the MN-730 is giving me computer a IP
address of 169.254.99.164
I know that linksys works in the area of 192.168.1.100's.
Maybe that could be a problem as well. I do not know what
to do. Can someone help me please before I have a
computer on my lawn and a broken window in the house.
thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about linksys befw11s4 wireless router

    The 169... IP is assigned when the PC is unable to obtain
    an IP from the router -- that's why it does not receive
    anything and all the other problems.

    If your router is a b type, set the 730 to work on b range
    only (11 Mbps). Wifi cards from MS may also require SSID
    broadcasts to be enabled on the router.

    Otherwise, assign a static IP to the PC, such as
    192.168.1.101, mask 255.255.255.0, DNS and gateway the IP
    of the router (192.168.1.100?) -- see if this works fine.
    Make sure you are using the same channel, and all PC's use
    the same workgroup name. Also disable software firewalls
    and Windows ICF on the PC's since that blocks NetBIOS
    broadcasts. Initially don't use WEP (you may need to
    disable it on the router and wifi card). Once everything is
    working add WEP, using same WEP key, key length, and key
    type on router and wifi card.

    Where do I go to set my MN-730 to B type or B range?
    Where do I get the DNS number from? Is 192.168.1.100 the
    right gateway of the router or is 192.168.1.1?
    Again thank you

    Check your encryption method.

    If the card cannot communicate with the router (due to incorrect encryption
    keys), you won't be able to get an ip from the dhcp server, and you'll get
    the APIPA address that you are currently receiving.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "simplegn" <thomas449@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I have now messed with this thing for 2 hours. My MN-730
    > shows that it is connected and everything. Got excellent
    > siginal and 11.mps right now. I have disabled the IEEE
    > 802.1x like i have read. When I look at my connection
    > status I am good. It says that I am sending out but not
    > receiveing. My other laptop is wireless as well and I can
    > connect to it's shared documents but not my wireless
    > router. I even access my linksys router and can't do that
    > either. Also the MN-730 is giving me computer a IP
    > address of 169.254.99.164
    > I know that linksys works in the area of 192.168.1.100's.
    > Maybe that could be a problem as well. I do not know what
    > to do. Can someone help me please before I have a
    > computer on my lawn and a broken window in the house.
    > thanks

    Dear simplegn,

    If you have a laptop that is working, copy all
    configuration values from its adapter exactly as they
    appear into the MN-730 configuration. And disable ALL
    firewalls!

    If you're OS is WinXP (it always helpful to detail your
    OS when asking a question since people responding cannot
    use telepathy to discern it), click on the Wireless
    Network Connection icon where you read the Connection
    Status. Then click on Properties. Go to the top of the
    panel where it shows your adapter and click on
    Configure. Under Advanced, if you have a value that sets
    the adapter to 802.11b, DO IT. Otherwise, forget this
    piece of advice.

    protptocol. Is it "Obtain IP automatically?"

    With the working laptop, check the Linksys base station
    control for its DHCP client list. Can you see the MN-730
    PC in it?

    The Linksys DHCP server should assign the MN-730 an IP,
    but if it does not, you can set an IP like "lilo"
    recommended. The default is 192.168.1.blah-blah for
    Linksys base stations (wire and wirelss) unlike MS
    basestation. Just set blah-blah to ANY number from 0 to
    255. Do this in the MN-730's TCP/IP configuration.

    it is windows XP and I have tried everything you guys
    have suggested. I hust spent the last 90 minutes on the
    phone with microsoft and they could not help me either.
    So than everyone that helped. I am quitting for the
    night. If anyone else has ideas please let me know.
    Thank You

Routers Wireless Router Linksys Networking