Admin password - do not know

I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to have a
password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence. Ive tried the safe
mode with no password as admin, does not work. what next.

thanks

rlbo
14 answers Last reply
More about admin password know

    Lost, Forgotten, or Expired Passwords:

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

    Windows XP Key is a program to reset Windows XP security
    if Administrator password, secure boot password or key disk is lost.
    http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm

    Forgot your admin password?

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "rlbo" wrote:

    | I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to have a
    | password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence. Ive tried the safe
    | mode with no password as admin, does not work. what next.
    |
    | thanks
    |
    | rlbo

    Unless there is critical data required, get out the CD, the license key
    and reinstall it.

    rlbo wrote:

    > I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to have a
    > password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence. Ive tried the safe
    > mode with no password as admin, does not work. what next.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > rlbo

    Best on a used computer from another source to format and reinstall the
    OS clean:

    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I'm not that stupid, I would if I had the software!! I got nothing but the
    pc. I was told I could make a boot disk then find the profiles on the c: and
    remove all the .pwl password files? If so where do I get a boot disk. I
    tried to run safe mode-command prompt only but it still took me back to the
    login sequence.

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Unless there is critical data required, get out the CD, the license key
    > and reinstall it.
    >
    > rlbo wrote:
    >
    > > I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to have a
    > > password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence. Ive tried the safe
    > > mode with no password as admin, does not work. what next.
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > rlbo

    This allows you to reset all NT class operating systems (inc XP)
    passwords

    pwl files.....aren't those old 9x files?

    Anyways, they aren't in an NT based OS, just follow the links that these
    fine people have left and you should be OK.

    "rlbo" wrote:

    > I'm not that stupid, I would if I had the software!! I got nothing but the
    > pc. I was told I could make a boot disk then find the profiles on the c: and
    > remove all the .pwl password files? If so where do I get a boot disk. I
    > tried to run safe mode-command prompt only but it still took me back to the
    > login sequence.
    >
    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >
    > > Unless there is critical data required, get out the CD, the license key
    > > and reinstall it.
    > >
    > > rlbo wrote:
    > >
    > > > I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to have a
    > > > password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence. Ive tried the safe
    > > > mode with no password as admin, does not work. what next.
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > > >
    > > > rlbo

    thanks, I was able to run the program to reset the password but I have
    another problem. It is telling me that the domain name (which there are two)
    is unavaliable and will not let me login to xp. So I'm still at the same
    place I was before. I believe I will have to buy a copy of XP and reinstall?
    any sugestions?

    thanks

    In news:B80E8706-3241-4415-A06D-1AFB97862C7B@microsoft.com,
    rlbo <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I'm not that stupid, I would if I had the software!! I got nothing
    > but the pc. I was told I could make a boot disk then find the
    > profiles on the c: and remove all the .pwl password files? If so
    > where do I get a boot disk. I tried to run safe mode-command prompt
    > only but it still took me back to the login sequence.
    >
    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >
    >> Unless there is critical data required, get out the CD, the license
    >> key and reinstall it.
    >>
    >> rlbo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to
    >>> have a password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence.
    >>> Ive tried the safe mode with no password as admin, does not work.
    >>> what next.
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>
    >>> rlbo

    Yes, I know it says NT. Yes it works with XP.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    This is going to be a never-ending process. There are probably plenty more
    things that are going to go wrong. The laptop was free, you might as well
    think about buying a copy of Windows for it; you're going to need it sooner
    or later.

    However, if XP came with the laptop and there's a sticker on it, you may be
    able to get a CD from the manufacturer at a lower cost. Also, some systems
    have the restore information on the hard drive. Once again, contact the
    manufacturer, or take a look at their laptop manufacturer's website to see
    if you can find a manual that details what you're supposed to do to restore.

    "rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > thanks, I was able to run the program to reset the password but I have
    > another problem. It is telling me that the domain name (which there are
    > two)
    > is unavaliable and will not let me login to xp. So I'm still at the same
    > place I was before. I believe I will have to buy a copy of XP and
    > reinstall?
    > any sugestions?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
    >
    >> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >>
    >> This allows you to reset all NT class operating systems (inc XP)
    >> passwords

    That system used to be part of a domain. Login as administrator and move it
    back to a workgroup.

    "rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > thanks, I was able to run the program to reset the password but I have
    > another problem. It is telling me that the domain name (which there are
    > two)
    > is unavaliable and will not let me login to xp. So I'm still at the same
    > place I was before. I believe I will have to buy a copy of XP and
    > reinstall?
    > any sugestions?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
    >
    >> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >>
    >> This allows you to reset all NT class operating systems (inc XP)
    >> passwords

    the problem is it wont let me login. I still get the error password or
    domain is incorect please check blah blah blah. cant get pass the login
    screen. anyway I can fix the domain problem from this point.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > That system used to be part of a domain. Login as administrator and move it
    > back to a workgroup.

    > "rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > thanks, I was able to run the program to reset the password but I have
    > > another problem. It is telling me that the domain name (which there are
    > > two)
    > > is unavaliable and will not let me login to xp. So I'm still at the same
    > > place I was before. I believe I will have to buy a copy of XP and
    > > reinstall?
    > > any sugestions?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    > >>
    > >> This allows you to reset all NT class operating systems (inc XP)
    > >> passwords

    On the login screen do you see 3 boxes or 2. User name, password, and domain
    or just user name and password? If you see 3 then change the domain box
    using the drop down menu choose the one that say (This Computer) that is the
    local login. If there is only 2 then at the bottom of the login window there
    is an option you click on that will show 3 boxes, I can't remember which one
    but you will see it.

    > the problem is it wont let me login. I still get the error password or
    > domain is incorect please check blah blah blah. cant get pass the login
    > screen. anyway I can fix the domain problem from this point.
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> That system used to be part of a domain. Login as administrator and move
    >> it
    >> back to a workgroup.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > thanks, I was able to run the program to reset the password but I have
    >> > another problem. It is telling me that the domain name (which there
    >> > are
    >> > two)
    >> > is unavaliable and will not let me login to xp. So I'm still at the
    >> > same
    >> > place I was before. I believe I will have to buy a copy of XP and
    >> > reinstall?
    >> > any sugestions?
    >> >
    >> > thanks

    Yea, I changed it to the one that says this computer but it still wont let me
    in....who knows.

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > On the login screen do you see 3 boxes or 2. User name, password, and domain
    > or just user name and password? If you see 3 then change the domain box
    > using the drop down menu choose the one that say (This Computer) that is the
    > local login. If there is only 2 then at the bottom of the login window there
    > is an option you click on that will show 3 boxes, I can't remember which one
    > but you will see it.

    > "rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > the problem is it wont let me login. I still get the error password or
    > > domain is incorect please check blah blah blah. cant get pass the login
    > > screen. anyway I can fix the domain problem from this point.
    > >
    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> That system used to be part of a domain. Login as administrator and move
    > >> it
    > >> back to a workgroup.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Email me. I have a program that will work. I will send you a download link.

    > Yea, I changed it to the one that says this computer but it still wont let
    > me
    > in....who knows.
    >
    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> On the login screen do you see 3 boxes or 2. User name, password, and
    >> domain
    >> or just user name and password? If you see 3 then change the domain box
    >> using the drop down menu choose the one that say (This Computer) that is
    >> the
    >> local login. If there is only 2 then at the bottom of the login window
    >> there
    >> is an option you click on that will show 3 boxes, I can't remember which
    >> one
    >> but you will see it.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > the problem is it wont let me login. I still get the error password or
    >> > domain is incorect please check blah blah blah. cant get pass the
    >> > login
    >> > screen. anyway I can fix the domain problem from this point.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP