Admin password - do not know

July 6, 2005 3:42:06 PM

I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to have a
password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence. Ive tried the safe
mode with no password as admin, does not work. what next.

thanks

rlbo

More about : admin password

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:46:04 PM

Lost, Forgotten, or Expired Passwords:

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Jupiter Jones]

Windows XP Key is a program to reset Windows XP security
if Administrator password, secure boot password or key disk is lost.
http://www.lostpassword.com/windows-xp-2000-nt.htm

Forgot your admin password?

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"rlbo" wrote:

| I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to have a
| password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence. Ive tried the safe
| mode with no password as admin, does not work. what next.
|
| thanks
|
| rlbo
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:47:14 PM

Unless there is critical data required, get out the CD, the license key
and reinstall it.

rlbo wrote:

> I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to have a
> password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence. Ive tried the safe
> mode with no password as admin, does not work. what next.
>
> thanks
>
> rlbo
Related resources
July 6, 2005 5:47:58 PM

rlbo wrote:

> I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to have a
> password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence. Ive tried the safe
> mode with no password as admin, does not work. what next.
>
> thanks
>
> rlbo

Best on a used computer from another source to format and reinstall the
OS clean:

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 7:25:03 PM

I'm not that stupid, I would if I had the software!! I got nothing but the
pc. I was told I could make a boot disk then find the profiles on the c: and
remove all the .pwl password files? If so where do I get a boot disk. I
tried to run safe mode-command prompt only but it still took me back to the
login sequence.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Unless there is critical data required, get out the CD, the license key
> and reinstall it.
>
> rlbo wrote:
>
> > I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to have a
> > password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence. Ive tried the safe
> > mode with no password as admin, does not work. what next.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > rlbo

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:03:03 PM

pwl files.....aren't those old 9x files?

Anyways, they aren't in an NT based OS, just follow the links that these
fine people have left and you should be OK.

"rlbo" wrote:

> I'm not that stupid, I would if I had the software!! I got nothing but the
> pc. I was told I could make a boot disk then find the profiles on the c: and
> remove all the .pwl password files? If so where do I get a boot disk. I
> tried to run safe mode-command prompt only but it still took me back to the
> login sequence.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
> > Unless there is critical data required, get out the CD, the license key
> > and reinstall it.
> >
> > rlbo wrote:
> >
> > > I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to have a
> > > password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence. Ive tried the safe
> > > mode with no password as admin, does not work. what next.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > rlbo

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:23:01 PM

thanks, I was able to run the program to reset the password but I have
another problem. It is telling me that the domain name (which there are two)
is unavaliable and will not let me login to xp. So I'm still at the same
place I was before. I believe I will have to buy a copy of XP and reinstall?
any sugestions?

thanks

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>
> This allows you to reset all NT class operating systems (inc XP)
> passwords

July 6, 2005 10:44:00 PM

In news:B80E8706-3241-4415-A06D-1AFB97862C7B@microsoft.com,
rlbo <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I'm not that stupid, I would if I had the software!! I got nothing
> but the pc. I was told I could make a boot disk then find the
> profiles on the c: and remove all the .pwl password files? If so
> where do I get a boot disk. I tried to run safe mode-command prompt
> only but it still took me back to the login sequence.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> Unless there is critical data required, get out the CD, the license
>> key and reinstall it.
>>
>> rlbo wrote:
>>
>>> I received a computer from someone who passed. I requires me to
>>> have a password for it to boot after the ctrl-alt-del sequence.
>>> Ive tried the safe mode with no password as admin, does not work.
>>> what next.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> rlbo

Yes, I know it says NT. Yes it works with XP.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 2:22:33 AM

This is going to be a never-ending process. There are probably plenty more
things that are going to go wrong. The laptop was free, you might as well
think about buying a copy of Windows for it; you're going to need it sooner
or later.

However, if XP came with the laptop and there's a sticker on it, you may be
able to get a CD from the manufacturer at a lower cost. Also, some systems
have the restore information on the hard drive. Once again, contact the
manufacturer, or take a look at their laptop manufacturer's website to see
if you can find a manual that details what you're supposed to do to restore.

"rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks, I was able to run the program to reset the password but I have
> another problem. It is telling me that the domain name (which there are
> two)
> is unavaliable and will not let me login to xp. So I'm still at the same
> place I was before. I believe I will have to buy a copy of XP and
> reinstall?
> any sugestions?
>
> thanks
>
> "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
>
>> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>>
>> This allows you to reset all NT class operating systems (inc XP)
>> passwords

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:55:53 AM

That system used to be part of a domain. Login as administrator and move it
back to a workgroup.

"rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks, I was able to run the program to reset the password but I have
> another problem. It is telling me that the domain name (which there are
> two)
> is unavaliable and will not let me login to xp. So I'm still at the same
> place I was before. I believe I will have to buy a copy of XP and
> reinstall?
> any sugestions?
>
> thanks
>
> "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
>
>> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
>>
>> This allows you to reset all NT class operating systems (inc XP)
>> passwords

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:55:54 AM

the problem is it wont let me login. I still get the error password or
domain is incorect please check blah blah blah. cant get pass the login
screen. anyway I can fix the domain problem from this point.

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> That system used to be part of a domain. Login as administrator and move it
> back to a workgroup.

> "rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks, I was able to run the program to reset the password but I have
> > another problem. It is telling me that the domain name (which there are
> > two)
> > is unavaliable and will not let me login to xp. So I'm still at the same
> > place I was before. I believe I will have to buy a copy of XP and
> > reinstall?
> > any sugestions?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
> >
> >> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
> >>
> >> This allows you to reset all NT class operating systems (inc XP)
> >> passwords

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 7:22:54 AM

On the login screen do you see 3 boxes or 2. User name, password, and domain
or just user name and password? If you see 3 then change the domain box
using the drop down menu choose the one that say (This Computer) that is the
local login. If there is only 2 then at the bottom of the login window there
is an option you click on that will show 3 boxes, I can't remember which one
but you will see it.

> the problem is it wont let me login. I still get the error password or
> domain is incorect please check blah blah blah. cant get pass the login
> screen. anyway I can fix the domain problem from this point.
>
> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
>> That system used to be part of a domain. Login as administrator and move
>> it
>> back to a workgroup.
>>
>> --

>> "rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > thanks, I was able to run the program to reset the password but I have
>> > another problem. It is telling me that the domain name (which there
>> > are
>> > two)
>> > is unavaliable and will not let me login to xp. So I'm still at the
>> > same
>> > place I was before. I believe I will have to buy a copy of XP and
>> > reinstall?
>> > any sugestions?
>> >
>> > thanks

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 6:48:04 PM

Yea, I changed it to the one that says this computer but it still wont let me
in....who knows.

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> On the login screen do you see 3 boxes or 2. User name, password, and domain
> or just user name and password? If you see 3 then change the domain box
> using the drop down menu choose the one that say (This Computer) that is the
> local login. If there is only 2 then at the bottom of the login window there
> is an option you click on that will show 3 boxes, I can't remember which one
> but you will see it.

> "rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > the problem is it wont let me login. I still get the error password or
> > domain is incorect please check blah blah blah. cant get pass the login
> > screen. anyway I can fix the domain problem from this point.
> >
> > "pcbutts1" wrote:
> >
> >> That system used to be part of a domain. Login as administrator and move
> >> it
> >> back to a workgroup.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >>

> >> "rlbo" <rlbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 1:53:53 AM

Email me. I have a program that will work. I will send you a download link.

!