java question ...

While looking in add/remove in control panel, I have the following listed ....
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_01
Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_03
Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_06

I also have Java Plug-in 1.4.0_01 and Java Plug-in 1.4.0_03

Are all of these needed or can I uninstall some of them??

Thanks .....

Unintstall all but the most recent. (5.0 update 4)

Tom
"Van" <Van@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| While looking in add/remove in control panel, I have the following listed
| J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2
| J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
| Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_01
| Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_03
| Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_06
|
| I also have Java Plug-in 1.4.0_01 and Java Plug-in 1.4.0_03
|
| Are all of these needed or can I uninstall some of them??
|
| Thanks .....

Uninstall all those Java programs, then install the latest version
which is now Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_04-b05).

JAVA SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS
http://java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Van" wrote:

| While looking in add/remove in control panel, I have the following listed ....
| J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2
| J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
| Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_01
| Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_03
| Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_06
|
| I also have Java Plug-in 1.4.0_01 and Java Plug-in 1.4.0_03
|
| Are all of these needed or can I uninstall some of them??
|
| Thanks .....

Op already has the latest installed, according to the list he posted:

| Uninstall all those Java programs, then install the latest version
| which is now Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_04-b05).
|
| JAVA SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS
| http://java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
|
| --
| Carey Frisch
| Microsoft MVP
| Windows XP - Shell/User
| Microsoft Newsgroups
|
| Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
| http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
|
| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
| "Van" wrote:
|
|| While looking in add/remove in control panel, I have the following listed
|| J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2
|| J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
|| Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_01
|| Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_03
|| Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_06
|| I also have Java Plug-in 1.4.0_01 and Java Plug-in 1.4.0_03
|| Are all of these needed or can I uninstall some of them??
|| Thanks .....

I tried to download and install the newest version of java on my compaq
notebook with xp sp2 and I keep getting a message that says " This
installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and
you can access it or contact the application vender to verify that this is a
valid windows installer package.
I know this is a valid windows installer package because I clicked on
Windows when chooseing which one to download. Do I need to uninstall the
other versions of Java before it will install.
Any information would be appreciated.
Roy

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Uninstall all those Java programs, then install the latest version
> which is now Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_04-b05).
>
> JAVA SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS
> http://java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Van" wrote:
>
> | While looking in add/remove in control panel, I have the following listed ....
> | J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2
> | J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
> | Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_01
> | Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_03
> | Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_06
> |
> | I also have Java Plug-in 1.4.0_01 and Java Plug-in 1.4.0_03
> |
> | Are all of these needed or can I uninstall some of them??
> |
> | Thanks .....

"Van" <Van@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> While looking in add/remove in control panel, I have the following listed
> J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2
> J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
> Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_01
> Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_03
> Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_06
>
> I also have Java Plug-in 1.4.0_01 and Java Plug-in 1.4.0_03
>
> Are all of these needed or can I uninstall some of them??

Remove them all, reboot then go to the page below for an
automatic install and verification.
www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

Page below will explain the differences better.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/index.jsp

I had the identical problem and after a few days of trying I went back to
the previous version.

Frank

"RoyC" <RoyC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to download and install the newest version of java on my compaq
> notebook with xp sp2 and I keep getting a message that says " This
> installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists
> and
> you can access it or contact the application vender to verify that this is
> valid windows installer package.
> I know this is a valid windows installer package because I clicked on
> Windows when chooseing which one to download. Do I need to uninstall the
> other versions of Java before it will install.
> Any information would be appreciated.
> Roy
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Uninstall all those Java programs, then install the latest version
>> which is now Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0_04-b05).
>>
>> JAVA SOFTWARE FOR WINDOWS
>> http://java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Van" wrote:
>>
>> | While looking in add/remove in control panel, I have the following
>> listed ....
>> | J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2
>> | J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
>> | Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_01
>> | Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.0_03
>> | Java 2 Runtime Environment SE v1.4.2_06
>> |
>> | I also have Java Plug-in 1.4.0_01 and Java Plug-in 1.4.0_03
>> |
>> | Are all of these needed or can I uninstall some of them??
>> |
>> | Thanks .....

Just to let you know I finally was able to get the new version of Java.
I downloaded the package to install offline. I installed the new version
and then deleted the two other versions. It went real smooth with no
problems, I went back to Java web site and checked to see if it was activated
ok and it was so now I have the new version installed.
Thanks for the help.
Roy