Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 OEM Install

Last response: in Windows 7
March 16, 2010 2:02:40 PM

Hello,
I just purchased the OEM edition of win7, I built my own system and it is currently running XP. I know I need to do a clean install, but I can't get the Win7 disk to start up for the install. I have set the BIOS to boot from the dvd but it keeps booting from Xp. Do I need to put in a new HD?

More about : windows oem install

a b $ Windows 7
March 16, 2010 2:45:45 PM

In your BIOS try disabling all other boot devices so your computer only has 1 option and 1 option only.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 16, 2010 3:40:08 PM

Or just make the DVD the first device to boot off of by setting it's priority to be the first device.
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2010 4:02:15 PM

isamuelson said:
Or just make the DVD the first device to boot off of by setting it's priority to be the first device.

I've tried that, it keeps booting from the HD, even when all choices are CD/DVD
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 16, 2010 4:18:02 PM

Augusto13 said:
I've tried that, it keeps booting from the HD, even when all choices are CD/DVD

I know that with the Windows DVDs, when it boots off of the DVD, it will prompt you to hit any key to boot from the DVD. If you don't, it will eventually time out and boot off of the hard drive.

Are you seeing this prompt from the DVD at all?
m
l
March 16, 2010 4:26:51 PM

isamuelson said:
I know that with the Windows DVDs, when it boots off of the DVD, it will prompt you to hit any key to boot from the DVD. If you don't, it will eventually time out and boot off of the hard drive.

Are you seeing this prompt from the DVD at all?

Yes, the prompt shows up but it won't go to the dvd even when hitting a key.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
March 16, 2010 4:30:14 PM

Sounds like your DVD is bad or the DVD player is bad then. Have you tried to boot the DVD from another computer?

Can your system boot from a USB device? If so, then you could set up to boot from USB. In the forums here at TGs, there's a post explaining a way to do it -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/2776-63-creating-boot...
March 23, 2010 4:52:45 PM

Best answer selected by Augusto13.
m
l
!