Best 19" or 20" Flat Panel for around $250

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Good morning/afternoon/evening. I've got a small budget of about $250 to use to replace my Viewsonic G90f 19" CRT. I have been looking into 19" panels which have a viewing area 1" larger than what I got now. As far as what the display will be used for, here is a break down...

Office Apps (15%)
Internet and Email (50%)
Gaming (DX9) (10%)
Photoshop (10%)
Video Editing (5%)
Watching DVD's and XviD (TV Eps) Content, etc (10%)

That is a general breakdown. I'm not sure how accurate those figures are, but what I'm thinking about is a general-purpose panel which is good for pretty much everything. I am torn over whether to go for standard or widescreen models. Most of what I do right now would be better suited for a standard panel. The normal resolution I use right now and am used to is 1024x768 @ 85hz.

I've looked over the articles here and the ones I found which were reccommended, did not fit in my budget, but a bit over by about $100 or so. I've seen some generics available on the market such as Acer, but I won't touch anything that company makes, based on bad experience from others I know that have had their products in the past.

Brands I've looked at include Viewsonic (Graphics, Pro and X), Dell (UltraSharp) and Samsung (SyncMaster). Any input? If it came down to it, I could stretch the budget closer to $300 if needed. Thanks!

-- MaSoP