MSI Neo K8N Platinum and NEC 2510a

shemmy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
does anyone know of any conflicts between these two items? i have recently done a fresh install of windows xp/sp2 and find the writer unable to function. each time i put a disc in the drive it will instantly force windows to reset. the funny thing is is that this is the same drive i used to install windows from in the first place.

i have updated all the items via the MSI updater to the latest versions and have flashed the bios of the writer to the latest version, 2.16. i have had to fish out an old scsi plextor cd drive just to be able to finish installing app/utils.

everything seems to be working according to windows, with zero conflicts/problems being reported. i have tried swapping cables and ide ports but to no avail. the writer functions properly when placed in another pc system.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No known conflicts, I think it could be a power issue. After you've finished loading drivers, certain parts of your PC become active that weren't before, most of them are on the 12v line, which is probably what the 2510A uses as well.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

shemmy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2004
thanks for the reply! i loaded up one of the apps that came with my motherboard that checks cpu temp/power output and it's reporting that the 12v line is only working at 2.25v and showing up in big red letters. guess i need a better power-supply!