having 2 video cards installed.

I have a riva 128 32mb video card currently with windows xp. One of my games
will not run properly on this video card, but will run fine on an older riva
4mb card or a banshee 16 mb card. Can i have two video cards installed in the
same computer and switch between the two using device manager. I have two
sound cards, one is integrated into the mother board and a newer one is
installed also. I have no sound problems. Will this work also with two video
cards.
4 answers Last reply
More about having video cards installed

    Have you tried to run the game in one of the Compatibility modes ?
    More importantly, have you checked the game maker's website for
    patches/updates or an FAQ that addresses the video issue ?

    There are lot's of Gamer websites that might be able to answer your
    questions, both on the game and the Video issues. This is one of those
    situations where you are taking extraordinary measures to accommodate
    one program and that shouldn't be necessary.

    I know that XP can handle multiple monitors - but can't remember a
    situation that required multiple video cards.

    "Forddieselguy" <Forddieselguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a riva 128 32mb video card currently with windows xp. One of my
    >games
    > will not run properly on this video card, but will run fine on an older
    > riva
    > 4mb card or a banshee 16 mb card. Can i have two video cards installed in
    > the
    > same computer and switch between the two using device manager. I have two
    > sound cards, one is integrated into the mother board and a newer one is
    > installed also. I have no sound problems. Will this work also with two
    > video
    > cards.

    I have tried gamer sites, everyone has a differant answer, most involve
    downloading multiple patches or debugging programs, not all have had success
    according to message board postings. I'm not big on this type of work. If the
    second video card doesn't work I will have to scrap the game.

    "R. McCarty" wrote:

    > Have you tried to run the game in one of the Compatibility modes ?
    > More importantly, have you checked the game maker's website for
    > patches/updates or an FAQ that addresses the video issue ?
    >
    > There are lot's of Gamer websites that might be able to answer your
    > questions, both on the game and the Video issues. This is one of those
    > situations where you are taking extraordinary measures to accommodate
    > one program and that shouldn't be necessary.
    >
    > I know that XP can handle multiple monitors - but can't remember a
    > situation that required multiple video cards.
    >

    > "Forddieselguy" <Forddieselguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a riva 128 32mb video card currently with windows xp. One of my
    > >games
    > > will not run properly on this video card, but will run fine on an older
    > > riva
    > > 4mb card or a banshee 16 mb card. Can i have two video cards installed in
    > > the
    > > same computer and switch between the two using device manager. I have two
    > > sound cards, one is integrated into the mother board and a newer one is
    > > installed also. I have no sound problems. Will this work also with two
    > > video
    > > cards.

    XP will support more than one video card. Does your monitor have 2
    video inputs? If so you could be all set and just swap which card was
    the primary one back and forth. To be honest though it is a kludge and
    it sounds like you have a very old game?

    Wayne

    Forddieselguy wrote:

    > I have a riva 128 32mb video card currently with windows xp. One of
    > my games will not run properly on this video card, but will run fine
    > on an older riva 4mb card or a banshee 16 mb card. Can i have two
    > video cards installed in the same computer and switch between the two
    > using device manager. I have two sound cards, one is integrated into
    > the mother board and a newer one is installed also. I have no sound
    > problems. Will this work also with two video cards.

    "Forddieselguy" <Forddieselguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a riva 128 32mb video card currently with windows xp. One of my games
    >will not run properly on this video card, but will run fine on an older riva
    >4mb card or a banshee 16 mb card. Can i have two video cards installed in the
    >same computer and switch between the two using device manager. I have two
    >sound cards, one is integrated into the mother board and a newer one is
    >installed also. I have no sound problems. Will this work also with two video
    >cards.

    Does your computer motherboard have the additional slot necessary in
    order to install the second video card?

    If your Riva 128 video card uses an AGP slot and if your older video
    cards are both also AGP then it is not possible to install the second
    video cards as motherboards only have a single AGP card slot.

    However if either of your older cards use a PCI slot then you can
    install that card (or one of them if they are both PCI) into an
    available PCI slot on the motherboard and Windows should detect it and
    use it just fine. You may have to adjust your settings for the
    display (Control Panel - Display). You may also have to try the video
    card in different PCI slots if the first one you try doesn't work.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP