jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Hey guys.. My primary hard disk is going bad. So I purchased Norton Ghost 2003 and made a clone of my drive that is going bad to a secondary drive. I thought all was well because I was able to boot off of the secondary drive. The "issue" is that when I remove the primary drive and make the seconary the primary and totally remove the drive that is going bad(primary drive) the secondary boots up all the way to the blue XP screen and stays there. This is the screen where I would enter my "system password" then from there on would enter the desktop and continue loading my programs. When I put the primary back in and boot off the secondardy drive everything works perfectly fine. What Iam I missing here or did not read? What could be the cause of this?
thanks
Jonathan

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Remove the old drive and try hitting the F8 key just before windows splash screen starts, you might be able to work out what is wrong if you can get into safe mode, if not try the following:

What is possibly going on is the MBR or boot record is on the old drive and would not have been copied to the new drive.

Restart with the XPpro installation CD in a rom drive, set the cdrom drive as first boot and wait for the 1st option to repair, in there you will find an option after typing "help" at the command prompt for "fixboot" or "fixmbr" (don't type quotes), anything you need to know about the listed commands just type the name with the switch /? after it and it will show you what options are available, make sure there is a space between the command and /?. (example: <i>drive letter</i>:\fixboot /? )

If that won't work the alternative option is to do a repair install which can be done by booting to the install CD and selecting the "2nd" option for repair.
This will require the windows key to be typed in during installation and it will also need the operating system to be updated again from windows update. this option only replaces the windows files and not any other data or programs already installed.

Note: If you have XP home the above options may not be available!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty35 on 09/15/04 08:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I tried get into safe mode but still come to the blue screen with the windows Xp icon where the login box is suppose to be. I did both repairs...fixboot and fixmbr...when i tried the fixmbr it said that there was a non traditional or non partition so i thought that would work.. when i ran the command it stated "it was written successfully" same with the fixboot....tried booting and same results gets all the way to the windows XP login screen and stops there... when i went back and tried it again..the repair option only brings me to the command prompt... I have XP PRO...any other leads... WHY does it work when i have the old drive in why does it boot right in...

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
At Setup menu screen, don't choose Repair but Install new Windows instead. After a few screens when Setup searchs and finds your Windows installation, it'd come up with 2 options either install a new one (ENTER) or repair (R). Choose repair here. It will copy a fresh system files for your damaged Windows.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

jdmarsh2g

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Okay I tried that and got a setup log error "fatal error" tried that several times receiving the same error.. seems as if i will have to ghost the drive again... (clone)..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I recommend against Ghost because of it's bad reputation among people who actually know what they're talking about (ie, not salespeople). PowerQuest Drive Image is far better in my opinion (and prefered by most people who've used both).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
I recommend against Ghost
Me too. I had lots of problems with it when I moved from using it on simple setups (1 IDE drive with 3 partitions) at work to a more complex setup (6 SATA drives, 2 through RAID card, 2 in RAID 0 through mobo and 2 non-RAID through mobo) at home.

I've used Acronis True Image Server without any problem, though many on these boards use DriveImage w/o problems too.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
I don't have XP (and like the clone feature in Ghost)but I've read if you have winXP, you gotta remove one of the drives BEFORE booting. Apparently, winXP "sees" two bootable drives and tries to do some sort of repair, fouling it up. Remove of the drives after cloning and before booting. If you're not using XP, ignore. This prob pertains only to XP.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

Well you haven't mentioned what brand HDDs you have, at least I didn't see any mention of the brands, but if you have at least 1 Maxtor HDD in the computer you can use, Maxblast 3.6, it now has a HDD exact copy feature. And its free!

<A HREF="http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/?epi_menuItemID=3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068&epi_menuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&epi_baseMenuID=976d37cd478c5826433f226075b46068&channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software Downloads/ATA Hard Drives&downloadID=58" target="_new">Maxblast 3.6</A>

Oh and at least for Win2K Pro w SP4 which Ghost 2003 never successfully duplicated, Maxblast 3.6 does work, as a matter of fact the OP/SYS I'm posting with right now was created with the Maxblast Copy program, and believe it or not was created with the OP/SYS actually running. Cool Eh! :smile: