error message "cannot locate the CD-ROM" when starting games

I am ring XP pro on a AND 3200xp machine, I have just loaded BF1942 and
IGI-2 and when I attemp to run either game I get the error message "cannot
locate the CD-ROM". I have 2 dvd drives and i get the same error message no
matter which drive I use for the game cd.

Please help.
--
max gamer
5 answers Last reply

    Try run,type:regedit In regedit,expand,HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,software,
    microsoft,windows,current version,L.click on or open set-up.The installation
    sources and source path should be the same as in "my computer" or whatever
    cdrom you use for installations from cd.To change,L.click on one,go to edit,
    modify,change the letter,close out.

    "d1mcguire" wrote:

    > I am ring XP pro on a AND 3200xp machine, I have just loaded BF1942 and
    > IGI-2 and when I attemp to run either game I get the error message "cannot
    > locate the CD-ROM". I have 2 dvd drives and i get the same error message no
    > matter which drive I use for the game cd.
    >
    > Please help.
    > --
    > max gamer

    Go to megagames.com and download a no-cd crack. Get the right one and don't
    even have to put the cd in the drive. Solves that bs!

    "d1mcguire" <d1mcguire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am ring XP pro on a AND 3200xp machine, I have just loaded BF1942 and
    > IGI-2 and when I attemp to run either game I get the error message "cannot
    > locate the CD-ROM". I have 2 dvd drives and i get the same error message
    > no
    > matter which drive I use for the game cd.
    >
    > Please help.
    > --
    > max gamer

    Are these cd's copies?

    "d1mcguire" <d1mcguire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am ring XP pro on a AND 3200xp machine, I have just loaded BF1942 and
    > IGI-2 and when I attemp to run either game I get the error message "cannot
    > locate the CD-ROM". I have 2 dvd drives and i get the same error message
    > no
    > matter which drive I use for the game cd.
    >
    > Please help.
    > --
    > max gamer

    No the Game CD's are not copies, they are the original thing. This problem
    only ever happens with XP, never in W2K. The fix that I have done before is
    to connect an external cd/dvd drive (via USB or FireWire) and use that as the
    source drive for all gaming which is a needless activity. I'll let you know
    which of the suggestions
    do work..

    many thanks to all
    --
    max gamer

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Are these cd's copies?

    > "d1mcguire" <d1mcguire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am ring XP pro on a AND 3200xp machine, I have just loaded BF1942 and
    > > IGI-2 and when I attemp to run either game I get the error message "cannot
    > > locate the CD-ROM". I have 2 dvd drives and i get the same error message
    > > no
    > > matter which drive I use for the game cd.
    > >
    > > Please help.
    > > --
    > > max gamer

    Just to let you all know, the CD-Crack worked. The RegEdit was no help as
    everything there was OK.

    Many thanks
    --
    max gamer

    "Andrew E." wrote:

    > Try run,type:regedit In regedit,expand,HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,software,
    > microsoft,windows,current version,L.click on or open set-up.The installation
    > sources and source path should be the same as in "my computer" or whatever
    > cdrom you use for installations from cd.To change,L.click on one,go to edit,
    > modify,change the letter,close out.
    >
    > "d1mcguire" wrote:
    >
    > > I am ring XP pro on a AND 3200xp machine, I have just loaded BF1942 and
    > > IGI-2 and when I attemp to run either game I get the error message "cannot
    > > locate the CD-ROM". I have 2 dvd drives and i get the same error message no
    > > matter which drive I use for the game cd.
    > >
    > > Please help.
    > > --
    > > max gamer

Games CD-Rom Error Message Windows XP