Sign in with
Your question

overall quality LCD, Samsung 206bw any good?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 16, 2007 8:18:12 PM

I'll be buying a new LCD in a few days. I have a budget of around $470 and target a 19"/20" LCD. I'll do all kind of stuff on it, reading a lot of documents, some graphics, gaming, occassional movie. I'd prefer a widescreen, but it's not neccessary. DVI wanted.

I was thinking about Samsung 206bw, that supposedly has a 2ms time and other values seem quite decent too. Anybody has any experience with this particular model?

any other suggestions?
February 16, 2007 11:39:38 PM

Quote:
I'll be buying a new LCD in a few days. I have a budget of around $470 and target a 19"/20" LCD. I'll do all kind of stuff on it, reading a lot of documents, some graphics, gaming, occassional movie. I'd prefer a widescreen, but it's not neccessary. DVI wanted.

I was thinking about Samsung 206bw, that supposedly has a 2ms time and other values seem quite decent too. Anybody has any experience with this particular model?

any other suggestions?

THe 206bw can be had for $300 (way within your budget). However, it is a TN panel, which is not good for image editing. A better panel, in the same size, would be the NEC 20WGX2 if you can handle the glare caused by the shiny finish on the screen; unfortunately, it is like $600, so that is out of the question.

In your price range, here are a few:
MVA AL2032WA
MVA Acer F-20
MVA Viewsonic VP2030b

HP 20"
Dell 20"
February 17, 2007 2:01:12 AM

well, seems like living in europe makes this a different story... Have had chance to work on a shiny finish monitor and didn't like it

206bw Samsung = $388

Viewsonic VP2030b - $751 here
AL2032WA - $660
f-20 - +- $700

dunno why. Maybe the out of EU tax I've read about somewhere? :( 

some of the monitors I've found that are in my price range here

BELINEA 102035W
19" LCD ViewSonic VX922 - Silver, DVI, 2ms !!
19" LCD ViewSonic VG1930wm20"
LCD ViewSonic VG2030wm - almost in range
20" LCD Acer AL2016Ws
just suggestions

with the TN panel, how bad are the colors... I'll sure go see myself, but just so that I have an idea. I'm not a pro, been using a WXGA TFT on my acer aspire 1362 notebook and frankly, I guess it would suite my needs color-wise.
Related resources
February 17, 2007 2:15:24 AM

VX922 might be a good option, if you don't mind the smaller size and resolution. Also, it has the lower quality panel (in terms of viewing angles) with 6-bit dithered colors.

The viewing angle is not really a major issue for most basic computer use. However, if you are editing graphics fullscreen you will notice that the image is not the same color across the entire screen. This makes editing the image to the right color difficult in some cases. If you don't forsee this being a problem, then you might be ok with a TN panel. Also note, that many TN panels also run in 6-bit dithered colors, which, again, only a graphics person might be bothered by it.

BTW, how about a Dell or HP monitor? They might be a good option for you.
February 20, 2007 3:54:42 PM

i'd stay away from Dell LCD's now since its kinda a "Lotto"
you may get what you orderd or the screen may be shit with a Dell logo on it...its a big problem with dell and when a post in there forums went up about it, they didnt deny it, they just censored the hell out of the posts O_o

you can google it.
March 17, 2007 5:28:19 PM

Quote:

THe 206bw can be had for $300 (way within your budget). However, it is a TN panel, which is not good for image editing. A better panel, in the same size, would be the NEC 20WGX2 if you can handle the glare caused by the shiny finish on the screen; unfortunately, it is like $600, so that is out of the question.

According to new egg, the lcd is an a-si TFT - and has 16.7 millions colors. Doesnt that make it 8 bit color? correct me if im wrong, I am looking into buying this monitor but if it has a bad LCD then im not going to.
!