Sending a message on a network

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Hi all,
I have windowsxp sp2 and patched with a d-link wireless router.

On the router i noticed that I occasionally get 192.168.0.101 (whereas I
am 192.168.0.100) and I am assuming that they are connecting via my
wireless LAN.

I dont mind this, but is there a way I can send a message to them? I
know I could use WEP or WPA, but I dont mind sharing. I just want to
contact them if possible. I will assume net send wont work if they are
on XP sp2.
--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making

MCR wrote:
> I have windowsxp sp2 and patched with a d-link wireless router.
>
> On the router i noticed that I occasionally get 192.168.0.101
> (whereas I am 192.168.0.100) and I am assuming that they are
> connecting via my wireless LAN.

This is bad. Learn to turn the WPA or MAC Adress limitation on your router.

> I dont mind this, but is there a way I can send a message to them? I
> know I could use WEP or WPA, but I dont mind sharing. I just want to
> contact them if possible. I will assume net send wont work if they
> are on XP sp2.

You should mind.
Why?
They may be able to sniff your traffiic and get your Internet
usernames/passwords.
They can use up much of your bandwidth..
They can send people threatening email from an "anonymous" email address and
that address will be traced back to you - by IP.
Don't send them a message.. cut them off.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Shenan Stanley wrote:
Snipped

> You should mind.
> Why?
> They may be able to sniff your traffiic and get your Internet
> usernames/passwords.
> They can use up much of your bandwidth..
> They can send people threatening email from an "anonymous" email address and
> that address will be traced back to you - by IP.
> Don't send them a message.. cut them off.

Thanks for the advice... done
I had not considered what they would do with the connection.