Is the high CRT refresh rate better?

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
I have a Mag 19" and had picked up a 19" Sun Microsystems a while back, never thought much about it, was going to use it for my Graphics Design only computer.
I got to looking at the Sun, it says it has a refresh rate in 1024/768 of up to 200 Hertz! 8O
Is this Sun the one to use with my gaming puter? the Mag I am using now has a refresh rate at about 75 at 1024/768...
Which would be better for gaming?
Thanks...

notepad

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
The degree of flickering a person can tolerate varies a lot from person to person. Just keep in mind that you don't have to be able to see the flicker to still get a headache from it.

Once you have found a refresh rate that is easy on your eyes/head, I don't think there's an advantage to going higher. I use 100hz myself and use it in games too; it hasn't caused a problem for anything I've played.

One of the qualities I recommend looking at with CRTs is the refresh rate. CRTs usually do lower refreshes at higher resolutions. So, when shopping around, it is a good idea to find the full specifications and check the resolution you will be running, and a few other resolutions you might run.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
You only need 30fps for good video, thats what movies are played at anyway.

As mentioned the problem with CRTs is the flickering. Each line fades to black until it gets refreshed.

Most can't notice it directly, but a low refresh rate will cause eye strain and headache.

Just play around and find the setting that is least irritating to your eyes during long sessions.

If you can't notice any irritation just leave it at 85hz which for most people and lighting conditions is optimal.

Higher isn't necessarily better, at 100hz I get some weird interplay with my fluorescent lighting. With the lights off its as pleasant as 85hz.

empireforest

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I have a 22" monitor and the flicker is driving me nuts. My laptop only gives two options for refresh rate: 59 or 60 (not sure why the two options are so close together). Any advice?

saltyvinegar

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
Most games resort back to 60hz despite what the windows desktop is set at and you'll need a good video card to push 75hz+ in a game. But the higher the less strain on the eyes. I find 75 is good but 85 really makes the difference.