trevor

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I was just connected to the internet and restarted my computer. Now I cannot
connect. It is the starngest thing I can ping everythign via IP or by name
however when I try to connect to the internet I get Cannot display this page.
I have trid setting up a static IP and Obtaining an IP automatically. I am
using a Linksys router and have reset it to test. All of my other computers
connected via this router are working fine.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

unrepper

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

1.right click internet explorer select properties select connections click on
lan settings make sure the select automatically box is checked, 2. then open
my computer click on my network places click on view network connectins right
click local area network select properties highlight internet protocoltcp/ip
the click properties select obtain ip automatically and select obtain dns
automatically then click OK And OK 3. open a command prompt type ipconfig
/release wait for the ip address to zero out. then type ipconfig /renew and
try to connect to the internet.
--
Don Kendrick

"Trevor" wrote:

> I was just connected to the internet and restarted my computer. Now I cannot
> connect. It is the starngest thing I can ping everythign via IP or by name
> however when I try to connect to the internet I get Cannot display this page.
> I have trid setting up a static IP and Obtaining an IP automatically. I am
> using a Linksys router and have reset it to test. All of my other computers
> connected via this router are working fine.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

kelly

Hi Trevor,

Check the SID as it is case sensitive. Also, make sure you aren't pulling
up 169 instead of 192.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Kelly wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
> Check the SID as it is case sensitive. Also, make sure you aren't pulling
> up 169 instead of 192.

What's a SID and how would checking that help him? The second suggestion is
beyond me. If Trevor is able to ping anywhere from his computer what would
169 other than 192 tell him other than the fact that he has been
unsuccessful in getting an ip address assigned?

It's too bad that you insist on top posting and further that real
newsreaders don't bother quoting below what is designated as a sig. This
makes replying to your posts in any context totally meaningless as you see
by this effort.

kelly

The SID applies to the proper setting of the network adapter he is using.
It is case sensitive for the default (via the advanced settings). In many
cases, users after coming home from someone else working on their system
especially when wireless networking is involved, it will become set in the
home/shop environment and all that is needed is changing the default SID.
Even for those who come in home to service (without knowing more) think this
is norm to their own. YMMV!

As for the address, either will work in house. It was a legit question.

As for the rest of your comments, no comment and have a GREAT day.

--

"NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
> Kelly wrote:
>
>> Hi Trevor,
>>
>> Check the SID as it is case sensitive. Also, make sure you aren't
>> pulling
>> up 169 instead of 192.
>>

> What's a SID and how would checking that help him? The second suggestion
> is
> beyond me. If Trevor is able to ping anywhere from his computer what would
> 169 other than 192 tell him other than the fact that he has been
> unsuccessful in getting an ip address assigned?
>
> It's too bad that you insist on top posting and further that real
> newsreaders don't bother quoting below what is designated as a sig. This
> makes replying to your posts in any context totally meaningless as you see
> by this effort.

After sticking her head out from her XP firewall, Kelly had this to say:

> The SID applies to the proper setting of the network adapter he is using.
> It is case sensitive for the default (via the advanced settings). In many
> cases, users after coming home from someone else working on their system
> especially when wireless networking is involved, it will become set in the
> home/shop environment and all that is needed is changing the default SID.
> Even for those who come in home to service (without knowing more) think
> this
> is norm to their own. YMMV!

Don't you mean SSID? (Server Set ID)

> As for the address, either will work in house. It was a legit question.

Yes, but didn't he claim to be able to ping other computers across the Net?

> As for the rest of your comments, no comment and have a GREAT day.

Too bad you're so stubborn and refuse to post properly on Usenet.

--
Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:13:16 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>The SID applies to the proper setting of the network adapter he is using.
>It is case sensitive for the default (via the advanced settings). In many
>cases, users after coming home from someone else working on their system
>especially when wireless networking is involved, it will become set in the
>home/shop environment and all that is needed is changing the default SID.
>Even for those who come in home to service (without knowing more) think this
>is norm to their own. YMMV!
>
>As for the address, either will work in house. It was a legit question.
>
>As for the rest of your comments, no comment and have a GREAT day.

I don't think you are using the acronym SID in the correct fashion.
Once the SID is set on your computer, it is relatively static. The
computer SID doesn't change UNLESS you get a program, like Systernal's
NewSID or MS SYSPREP that will strip the SID so the machine can be
used in a different workgroup, or more importantly, a new/different
Domain.

kelly

Hi,

Typo, my bad. Was basing my reply on the default name set listed under
preferred networks. An example would be for Linskys it would be LINKSYS.