Modem trouble

I recently installed XP Pro on a new hard drive but have since had trouble
connecting to the web. I have a PCchips 810 mainboard with an HSP56 modem. I
currently run two hard drives; my old c drive which has been running Win98
and a new F drive which I have loaded XP pro onto. The modem information on
the F drive Admin tools reads that the set up etc is correct but, there is
no signal from the modem to connect via a telephone line. I updated the C
drive to run XP upgrade on top of the Win98 and the very same modem works!
However in saying that, ever since I put the mainboard in my pc and ran win
98 on it the fax facility has failed to work.
I need to know: How can I get the modem to work in XPpro and, as a matter
of interest, why has my fax failed since having the modem in the first place?
I appreciate any reply
1 answer Last reply
More about modem trouble

    Could be several reasons.

    1. Did you run the Troubleshooters for the Modem?
    2. Have you read these articles?

    Resources for Troubleshooting Modem Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q308022

    Troubleshooting Internet Service Provider Logon Problems
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q161986
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314455

    Modem, Com Port and Dialup Issues:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp/xp_modem.htm

    3. Have you checked your Services? Start/Run: services.msc

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "freelancer" <freelancer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently installed XP Pro on a new hard drive but have since had trouble
    > connecting to the web. I have a PCchips 810 mainboard with an HSP56
    > modem. I
    > currently run two hard drives; my old c drive which has been running Win98
    > and a new F drive which I have loaded XP pro onto. The modem information
    > on
    > the F drive Admin tools reads that the set up etc is correct but, there
    > is
    > no signal from the modem to connect via a telephone line. I updated the C
    > drive to run XP upgrade on top of the Win98 and the very same modem works!
    > However in saying that, ever since I put the mainboard in my pc and ran
    > win
    > 98 on it the fax facility has failed to work.
    > I need to know: How can I get the modem to work in XPpro and, as a matter
    > of interest, why has my fax failed since having the modem in the first
    > place?
    > I appreciate any reply

Windows XP Modem Hard Drives