Modem trouble

July 6, 2005 8:35:02 PM

I recently installed XP Pro on a new hard drive but have since had trouble
connecting to the web. I have a PCchips 810 mainboard with an HSP56 modem. I
currently run two hard drives; my old c drive which has been running Win98
and a new F drive which I have loaded XP pro onto. The modem information on
the F drive Admin tools reads that the set up etc is correct but, there is
no signal from the modem to connect via a telephone line. I updated the C
drive to run XP upgrade on top of the Win98 and the very same modem works!
However in saying that, ever since I put the mainboard in my pc and ran win
98 on it the fax facility has failed to work.
I need to know: How can I get the modem to work in XPpro and, as a matter
of interest, why has my fax failed since having the modem in the first place?
I appreciate any reply

More about : modem trouble

July 7, 2005 2:44:26 AM

Could be several reasons.

1. Did you run the Troubleshooters for the Modem?
2. Have you read these articles?

Resources for Troubleshooting Modem Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q308022

Troubleshooting Internet Service Provider Logon Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q161986
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314455

Modem, Com Port and Dialup Issues:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp/xp_modem.htm

3. Have you checked your Services? Start/Run: services.msc

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP