resolution and sound

Tags:
  • Resolution
  • Windows XP
July 6, 2005 8:46:02 PM

So I was being a wise guy and decided to uninstall things in my laptop. its
a acer travelmate 2500 and worked so well. i bought it from a friend so no
warranty or company support.

two things disappeared that seem to be of consequence.

1. I lost the button that helps me change resolution. the only resolution
changes that i have available are in desktop properties> settings. 1024x768
and 800x600. when the screen display moves in any software, the scrolling is
slow and doesnt flow smoothly anymore. its like its moving 5 lines at a
time... and that gives it a wavy feeling going up and down. i have a
headache with that!

2. Also, I cant see the sound volume button anymore to change sounds. come
to think of it, i havent heard sounds on my laptop since yesterday. anyone
know what i can do? id appreciate any help!

--
esoteric_astute

More about : resolution sound

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:01:02 PM

i checked that out but i cant seem to find the downloads for this stuff!
--
esoteric_astute

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

> A good place to start would be http://global.acer.com/

Related resources
July 7, 2005 1:11:40 AM

esoteric_astute wrote:
> i checked that out but i cant seem to find the downloads for this
> stuff!
>
>> A good place to start would be http://global.acer.com/

Acer 2500 notebook
http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formi...

I didn't see any downloads for sound(must be intergrated)but their is one
for your Video.

Start here for your sound troubleshooting
Good Luck.
--
Mike Pawlak
Anonymous

HI Mike,

Thanks for your help with this one. got the video thing sorted out. got
the resolutions icon back and the display is so much smoother now. You know
your stuff!

I still can't seem to get the volume control button to come back :(  not
sure how to get that done.

--
esoteric_astute

"MAP" wrote:

> esoteric_astute wrote:
> > i checked that out but i cant seem to find the downloads for this
> > stuff!
> >
> >> A good place to start would be http://global.acer.com/
>
> Acer 2500 notebook
> http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formi...
>
> I didn't see any downloads for sound(must be intergrated)but their is one
> for your Video.
>
> Start here for your sound troubleshooting
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
> Good Luck.
> --
> Mike Pawlak

July 7, 2005 3:06:15 AM

In addition:

Restore Volume and Net Icon to Notification Area (Line 320)

Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume

Volume Icon Is Displayed Incorrectly in the Notification Area After the
Computer Resumes from Standby
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828694&Product=winxp

Troubleshooting the Notification Area
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"esoteric_astute" <esotericastute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F203866A-9917-4728-8080-372B26EBFD7F@microsoft.com...
> HI Mike,
>
> Thanks for your help with this one. got the video thing sorted out. got
> the resolutions icon back and the display is so much smoother now. You
> know
> your stuff!
>
> I still can't seem to get the volume control button to come back :(  not
> sure how to get that done.
>
> --
> esoteric_astute
>

> "MAP" wrote:
>
>> esoteric_astute wrote:
>> > i checked that out but i cant seem to find the downloads for this
>> > stuff!

>> Acer 2500 notebook
>> http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formi...
>>
>> I didn't see any downloads for sound(must be intergrated)but their is one
>> for your Video.
>>
>> Start here for your sound troubleshooting
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>> Good Luck.
>> --
>> Mike Pawlak

July 7, 2005 3:34:55 AM

In control panel click on sounds and audio devices,under the volume tab
their should be a box to place the volume control on the taskbar,check this
box and click apply.

--
Mike Pawlak

esoteric_astute wrote:
> HI Mike,
>
> Thanks for your help with this one. got the video thing sorted out.
> got the resolutions icon back and the display is so much smoother
> now. You know your stuff!
>
> I still can't seem to get the volume control button to come back :(
> not sure how to get that done.
>

>> esoteric_astute wrote:
>>> i checked that out but i cant seem to find the downloads for this
>>> stuff!

>> Acer 2500 notebook

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formi...

>> I didn't see any downloads for sound(must be intergrated)but their
>> is one for your Video.
>>
>> Start here for your sound troubleshooting
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
>> Good Luck.
>> --
>> Mike Pawlak
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 3:34:56 AM

heres what it says when i do that..

windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the volume
control program has not been installed. to install it, use add remove
programs in control panel.

when i go to add remove... i cant seem to get anything done to download and
install volume control.
--
esoteric_astute

"MAP" wrote:

> In control panel click on sounds and audio devices,under the volume tab
> their should be a box to place the volume control on the taskbar,check this
> box and click apply.
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak
>

> esoteric_astute wrote:
> > HI Mike,
> >
> > Thanks for your help with this one. got the video thing sorted out.
> > got the resolutions icon back and the display is so much smoother
> > now. You know your stuff!
> >
> > I still can't seem to get the volume control button to come back :(
> > not sure how to get that done.

> >> Acer 2500 notebook
> >>
> http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formi...
> >>
> >> I didn't see any downloads for sound(must be intergrated)but their
> >> is one for your Video.
> >>
> >> Start here for your sound troubleshooting
> >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
> >> Good Luck.
> >> --
> >> Mike Pawlak

July 7, 2005 4:10:36 AM

Common issue as I stated before. The procedure is listed below:

Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume
Control program has not been installed. To install it use Add/Remove
Programs in Control Panel.

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows
XP CD to the system_root \System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To
do this, follow these steps:

Start/Run/CMD. In the command prompt window type:

X: (where X is your CD Drive letter)
CD \I386

Then use the expand command:
expand -r sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32

Note: This assumes XP is installed on C: and that its installed in the
Windows folder. If not, you'll need to adjust the command accordingly.
Additionally, this must be an installable version of XP, not a "recovery
CD".

--

message news:225F8308-F5D7-4F57-86C9-CD689A709568@microsoft.com...
> heres what it says when i do that..
>
> windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the
> volume
> control program has not been installed. to install it, use add remove
> programs in control panel.
>
> when i go to add remove... i cant seem to get anything done to download
> and
> install volume control.
> --
> esoteric_astute
>

> "MAP" wrote:
>
>> In control panel click on sounds and audio devices,under the volume tab
>> their should be a box to place the volume control on the taskbar,check
>> this
>> box and click apply.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Pawlak
>>

>> esoteric_astute wrote:
>> > HI Mike,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help with this one. got the video thing sorted out.
>> > got the resolutions icon back and the display is so much smoother
>> > now. You know your stuff!
>> >
>> > I still can't seem to get the volume control button to come back :(
>> > not sure how to get that done.

>> http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formi...

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:55:28 AM

esoteric_astute wrote:
> So I was being a wise guy and decided to uninstall things in my
> laptop. its a acer travelmate 2500 and worked so well. i bought it
> from a friend so no warranty or company support.
>
> two things disappeared that seem to be of consequence.
>
> 1. I lost the button that helps me change resolution. the only
> resolution changes that i have available are in desktop properties>
> settings. 1024x768 and 800x600. when the screen display moves in
> any software, the scrolling is slow and doesnt flow smoothly anymore.
> its like its moving 5 lines at a time... and that gives it a wavy
> feeling going up and down. i have a headache with that!
>
> 2. Also, I cant see the sound volume button anymore to change
> sounds. come to think of it, i havent heard sounds on my laptop
> since yesterday. anyone know what i can do? id appreciate any help!

Well download and reinstall the drivers then! I can't see it takes a genius
to figure that out!
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:55:29 AM

well see i am NOT a computer genius at all. I'm a finance guy. Not sure
where to get the drivers and not sure which ones I need :(
--
esoteric_astute

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> esoteric_astute wrote:
> > So I was being a wise guy and decided to uninstall things in my
> > laptop. its a acer travelmate 2500 and worked so well. i bought it
> > from a friend so no warranty or company support.
> >
> > two things disappeared that seem to be of consequence.
> >
> > 1. I lost the button that helps me change resolution. the only
> > resolution changes that i have available are in desktop properties>
> > settings. 1024x768 and 800x600. when the screen display moves in
> > any software, the scrolling is slow and doesnt flow smoothly anymore.
> > its like its moving 5 lines at a time... and that gives it a wavy
> > feeling going up and down. i have a headache with that!
> >
> > 2. Also, I cant see the sound volume button anymore to change
> > sounds. come to think of it, i havent heard sounds on my laptop
> > since yesterday. anyone know what i can do? id appreciate any help!
>
> Well download and reinstall the drivers then! I can't see it takes a genius
> to figure that out!

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 4:55:30 AM

"esoteric_astute" <esotericastute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:39DC258B-DC19-4B3F-B977-AF9922A38715@microsoft.com...
> well see i am NOT a computer genius at all. I'm a finance guy. Not sure
> where to get the drivers and not sure which ones I need :(
> --

Don't worry about it; nor is she.

ss.

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:
>
>> esoteric_astute wrote:
>> > So I was being a wise guy and decided to uninstall things in my
>> > laptop. its a acer travelmate 2500 and worked so well. i bought it
>> > from a friend so no warranty or company support.
>> >
>> > two things disappeared that seem to be of consequence.
>> >
>> > 1. I lost the button that helps me change resolution. the only
>> > resolution changes that i have available are in desktop properties>
>> > settings. 1024x768 and 800x600. when the screen display moves in
>> > any software, the scrolling is slow and doesnt flow smoothly anymore.
>> > its like its moving 5 lines at a time... and that gives it a wavy
>> > feeling going up and down. i have a headache with that!
>> >
>> > 2. Also, I cant see the sound volume button anymore to change
>> > sounds. come to think of it, i havent heard sounds on my laptop
>> > since yesterday. anyone know what i can do? id appreciate any help!
>>
>> Well download and reinstall the drivers then! I can't see it takes a
>> genius
>> to figure that out!

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:05:03 AM

kelly,

thanks for your email. i dont have the xp cd. it all came installed in
this used laptop i bought a few months ago. is it possible to download
Sndvol32.exe from somewhere? is it possible for you to email it to me?
esoteric_astute@hotmail.com

appreciate all the help.

--
esoteric_astute

"Kelly" wrote:

> Common issue as I stated before. The procedure is listed below:
>
> Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume
> Control program has not been installed. To install it use Add/Remove
> Programs in Control Panel.
>
> To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows
> XP CD to the system_root \System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To
> do this, follow these steps:
>
> Start/Run/CMD. In the command prompt window type:
>
> X: (where X is your CD Drive letter)
> CD \I386
>
> Then use the expand command:
> expand -r sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32
>
> Note: This assumes XP is installed on C: and that its installed in the
> Windows folder. If not, you'll need to adjust the command accordingly.
> Additionally, this must be an installable version of XP, not a "recovery
> CD".
>

> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "esoteric_astute" <esotericastute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:225F8308-F5D7-4F57-86C9-CD689A709568@microsoft.com...
> > heres what it says when i do that..
> >
> > windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the
> > volume
> > control program has not been installed. to install it, use add remove
> > programs in control panel.
> >
> > when i go to add remove... i cant seem to get anything done to download
> > and
> > install volume control.
> > --
> > esoteric_astute
> >

> > "MAP" wrote:
> >
> >> In control panel click on sounds and audio devices,under the volume tab
> >> their should be a box to place the volume control on the taskbar,check
> >> this
> >> box and click apply.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mike Pawlak

> >> http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formi...

Anonymous
July 7, 2005 5:04:25 PM

It doesn't take a genius to know how useless your posts are does it?

> esoteric_astute wrote:
>> So I was being a wise guy and decided to uninstall things in my
>> laptop. its a acer travelmate 2500 and worked so well. i bought it
>> from a friend so no warranty or company support.
>>
>> two things disappeared that seem to be of consequence.
>>
>> 1. I lost the button that helps me change resolution. the only
>> resolution changes that i have available are in desktop properties>
>> settings. 1024x768 and 800x600. when the screen display moves in
>> any software, the scrolling is slow and doesnt flow smoothly anymore.
>> its like its moving 5 lines at a time... and that gives it a wavy
>> feeling going up and down. i have a headache with that!
>>
>> 2. Also, I cant see the sound volume button anymore to change
>> sounds. come to think of it, i havent heard sounds on my laptop
>> since yesterday. anyone know what i can do? id appreciate any help!
>
> Well download and reinstall the drivers then! I can't see it takes a
> genius to figure that out!

July 8, 2005 4:46:26 AM

You are most welcome; however, I haven't emailed you. This is a newsgroup.
:o )

As for the download, try here:
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driver...
They claim it works for XP as well. Good luck!
--

message news:22EA361A-0EE2-45A3-9C2D-A101C28D580E@microsoft.com...

!