resolution and sound

So I was being a wise guy and decided to uninstall things in my laptop. its
a acer travelmate 2500 and worked so well. i bought it from a friend so no
warranty or company support.

two things disappeared that seem to be of consequence.

1. I lost the button that helps me change resolution. the only resolution
changes that i have available are in desktop properties> settings. 1024x768
and 800x600. when the screen display moves in any software, the scrolling is
slow and doesnt flow smoothly anymore. its like its moving 5 lines at a
time... and that gives it a wavy feeling going up and down. i have a
headache with that!

2. Also, I cant see the sound volume button anymore to change sounds. come
to think of it, i havent heard sounds on my laptop since yesterday. anyone
know what i can do? id appreciate any help!

--
esoteric_astute
15 answers Last reply

    A good place to start would be http://global.acer.com/

    i checked that out but i cant seem to find the downloads for this stuff!
    --
    esoteric_astute

    "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:

    > A good place to start would be http://global.acer.com/

    You can find the sound card driver at
    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_2000.html

    It's the third one down (Realtek Semiconductor AC'97 Audio Driver
    version 5.10.0.5550)

    esoteric_astute wrote:
    > i checked that out but i cant seem to find the downloads for this
    > stuff!
    >
    >> A good place to start would be http://global.acer.com/

    Acer 2500 notebook
    http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formid=3394&website=AcerPanAm.com/us&originwebsite=acerpanam.com&pupv=pu

    I didn't see any downloads for sound(must be intergrated)but their is one
    for your Video.

    Start here for your sound troubleshooting
    Good Luck.
    --
    Mike Pawlak

    HI Mike,

    Thanks for your help with this one. got the video thing sorted out. got
    the resolutions icon back and the display is so much smoother now. You know
    your stuff!

    I still can't seem to get the volume control button to come back :( not
    sure how to get that done.

    --
    esoteric_astute

    "MAP" wrote:

    > esoteric_astute wrote:
    > > i checked that out but i cant seem to find the downloads for this
    > > stuff!
    > >
    > >> A good place to start would be http://global.acer.com/
    >
    > Acer 2500 notebook
    > http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formid=3394&website=AcerPanAm.com/us&originwebsite=acerpanam.com&pupv=pu
    >
    > I didn't see any downloads for sound(must be intergrated)but their is one
    > for your Video.
    >
    > Start here for your sound troubleshooting
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    > Good Luck.
    > --
    > Mike Pawlak

    In addition:

    Restore Volume and Net Icon to Notification Area (Line 320)

    Troubleshooting the Volume Control Icon
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm#volume

    Volume Icon Is Displayed Incorrectly in the Notification Area After the
    Computer Resumes from Standby
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828694&Product=winxp

    Troubleshooting the Notification Area
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_n.htm#na

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "esoteric_astute" <esotericastute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:F203866A-9917-4728-8080-372B26EBFD7F@microsoft.com...
    > HI Mike,
    >
    > Thanks for your help with this one. got the video thing sorted out. got
    > the resolutions icon back and the display is so much smoother now. You
    > know
    > your stuff!
    >
    > I still can't seem to get the volume control button to come back :( not
    > sure how to get that done.
    >
    > --
    > esoteric_astute
    >

    > "MAP" wrote:
    >
    >> esoteric_astute wrote:
    >> > i checked that out but i cant seem to find the downloads for this
    >> > stuff!

    >> Acer 2500 notebook
    >> http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formid=3394&website=AcerPanAm.com/us&originwebsite=acerpanam.com&pupv=pu
    >>
    >> I didn't see any downloads for sound(must be intergrated)but their is one
    >> for your Video.
    >>
    >> Start here for your sound troubleshooting
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    >> Good Luck.
    >> --
    >> Mike Pawlak

    In control panel click on sounds and audio devices,under the volume tab
    their should be a box to place the volume control on the taskbar,check this
    box and click apply.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    esoteric_astute wrote:
    > HI Mike,
    >
    > Thanks for your help with this one. got the video thing sorted out.
    > got the resolutions icon back and the display is so much smoother
    > now. You know your stuff!
    >
    > I still can't seem to get the volume control button to come back :(
    > not sure how to get that done.
    >

    >> esoteric_astute wrote:
    >>> i checked that out but i cant seem to find the downloads for this
    >>> stuff!

    >> Acer 2500 notebook

    http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formid=3394&website=AcerPanAm.com/us&originwebsite=acerpanam.com&pupv=pu

    >> I didn't see any downloads for sound(must be intergrated)but their
    >> is one for your Video.
    >>
    >> Start here for your sound troubleshooting
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    >> Good Luck.
    >> --
    >> Mike Pawlak

    heres what it says when i do that..

    windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the volume
    control program has not been installed. to install it, use add remove
    programs in control panel.

    when i go to add remove... i cant seem to get anything done to download and
    install volume control.
    --
    esoteric_astute

    "MAP" wrote:

    > In control panel click on sounds and audio devices,under the volume tab
    > their should be a box to place the volume control on the taskbar,check this
    > box and click apply.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Pawlak
    >

    > esoteric_astute wrote:
    > > HI Mike,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help with this one. got the video thing sorted out.
    > > got the resolutions icon back and the display is so much smoother
    > > now. You know your stuff!
    > >
    > > I still can't seem to get the volume control button to come back :(
    > > not sure how to get that done.

    > >> Acer 2500 notebook
    > >>
    > http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formid=3394&website=AcerPanAm.com/us&originwebsite=acerpanam.com&pupv=pu
    > >>
    > >> I didn't see any downloads for sound(must be intergrated)but their
    > >> is one for your Video.
    > >>
    > >> Start here for your sound troubleshooting
    > >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm
    > >> Good Luck.
    > >> --
    > >> Mike Pawlak

    Common issue as I stated before. The procedure is listed below:

    Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume
    Control program has not been installed. To install it use Add/Remove
    Programs in Control Panel.

    To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows
    XP CD to the system_root \System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To
    do this, follow these steps:

    Start/Run/CMD. In the command prompt window type:

    X: (where X is your CD Drive letter)
    CD \I386

    Then use the expand command:
    expand -r sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32

    Note: This assumes XP is installed on C: and that its installed in the
    Windows folder. If not, you'll need to adjust the command accordingly.
    Additionally, this must be an installable version of XP, not a "recovery
    CD".

    --

    message news:225F8308-F5D7-4F57-86C9-CD689A709568@microsoft.com...

    esoteric_astute wrote:
    > So I was being a wise guy and decided to uninstall things in my
    > laptop. its a acer travelmate 2500 and worked so well. i bought it
    > from a friend so no warranty or company support.
    >
    > two things disappeared that seem to be of consequence.
    >
    > 1. I lost the button that helps me change resolution. the only
    > resolution changes that i have available are in desktop properties>
    > settings. 1024x768 and 800x600. when the screen display moves in
    > any software, the scrolling is slow and doesnt flow smoothly anymore.
    > its like its moving 5 lines at a time... and that gives it a wavy
    > feeling going up and down. i have a headache with that!
    >
    > 2. Also, I cant see the sound volume button anymore to change
    > sounds. come to think of it, i havent heard sounds on my laptop
    > since yesterday. anyone know what i can do? id appreciate any help!

    Well download and reinstall the drivers then! I can't see it takes a genius
    to figure that out!

    well see i am NOT a computer genius at all. I'm a finance guy. Not sure
    where to get the drivers and not sure which ones I need :(
    --
    esoteric_astute

    message news:39DC258B-DC19-4B3F-B977-AF9922A38715@microsoft.com...
    > well see i am NOT a computer genius at all. I'm a finance guy. Not sure
    > where to get the drivers and not sure which ones I need :(
    > --

    Don't worry about it; nor is she.

    ss.

    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:
    >
    >> esoteric_astute wrote:
    >> > So I was being a wise guy and decided to uninstall things in my
    >> > laptop. its a acer travelmate 2500 and worked so well. i bought it
    >> > from a friend so no warranty or company support.
    >> >
    >> > two things disappeared that seem to be of consequence.
    >> >
    >> > 1. I lost the button that helps me change resolution. the only
    >> > resolution changes that i have available are in desktop properties>
    >> > settings. 1024x768 and 800x600. when the screen display moves in
    >> > any software, the scrolling is slow and doesnt flow smoothly anymore.
    >> > its like its moving 5 lines at a time... and that gives it a wavy
    >> > feeling going up and down. i have a headache with that!
    >> >
    >> > 2. Also, I cant see the sound volume button anymore to change
    >> > sounds. come to think of it, i havent heard sounds on my laptop
    >> > since yesterday. anyone know what i can do? id appreciate any help!
    >>
    >> Well download and reinstall the drivers then! I can't see it takes a
    >> genius
    >> to figure that out!

    kelly,

    thanks for your email. i dont have the xp cd. it all came installed in
    this used laptop i bought a few months ago. is it possible to download
    Sndvol32.exe from somewhere? is it possible for you to email it to me?
    esoteric_astute@hotmail.com

    appreciate all the help.

    --
    esoteric_astute

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > Common issue as I stated before. The procedure is listed below:
    >
    > Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume
    > Control program has not been installed. To install it use Add/Remove
    > Programs in Control Panel.
    >
    > To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows
    > XP CD to the system_root \System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To
    > do this, follow these steps:
    >
    > Start/Run/CMD. In the command prompt window type:
    >
    > X: (where X is your CD Drive letter)
    > CD \I386
    >
    > Then use the expand command:
    > expand -r sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32
    >
    > Note: This assumes XP is installed on C: and that its installed in the
    > Windows folder. If not, you'll need to adjust the command accordingly.
    > Additionally, this must be an installable version of XP, not a "recovery
    > CD".
    >

    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "esoteric_astute" <esotericastute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:225F8308-F5D7-4F57-86C9-CD689A709568@microsoft.com...
    > > heres what it says when i do that..
    > >
    > > windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the
    > > volume
    > > control program has not been installed. to install it, use add remove
    > > programs in control panel.
    > >
    > > when i go to add remove... i cant seem to get anything done to download
    > > and
    > > install volume control.
    > > --
    > > esoteric_astute
    > >

    > > "MAP" wrote:
    > >
    > >> In control panel click on sounds and audio devices,under the volume tab
    > >> their should be a box to place the volume control on the taskbar,check
    > >> this
    > >> box and click apply.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mike Pawlak

    > >> http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal.cfm?formid=3394&website=AcerPanAm.com/us&originwebsite=acerpanam.com&pupv=pu

    It doesn't take a genius to know how useless your posts are does it?

    > esoteric_astute wrote:
    >> So I was being a wise guy and decided to uninstall things in my
    >> laptop. its a acer travelmate 2500 and worked so well. i bought it
    >> from a friend so no warranty or company support.
    >>
    >> two things disappeared that seem to be of consequence.
    >>
    >> 1. I lost the button that helps me change resolution. the only
    >> resolution changes that i have available are in desktop properties>
    >> settings. 1024x768 and 800x600. when the screen display moves in
    >> any software, the scrolling is slow and doesnt flow smoothly anymore.
    >> its like its moving 5 lines at a time... and that gives it a wavy
    >> feeling going up and down. i have a headache with that!
    >>
    >> 2. Also, I cant see the sound volume button anymore to change
    >> sounds. come to think of it, i havent heard sounds on my laptop
    >> since yesterday. anyone know what i can do? id appreciate any help!
    >
    > Well download and reinstall the drivers then! I can't see it takes a
    > genius to figure that out!

    You are most welcome; however, I haven't emailed you. This is a newsgroup.
    :o)

    As for the download, try here:
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=83732
    They claim it works for XP as well. Good luck!
    --

    message news:22EA361A-0EE2-45A3-9C2D-A101C28D580E@microsoft.com...
    > kelly,
    >
    > thanks for your email. i dont have the xp cd. it all came installed in
    > this used laptop i bought a few months ago. is it possible to download
    > Sndvol32.exe from somewhere? is it possible for you to email it to me?
    > esoteric_astute@hotmail.com
    >
    > appreciate all the help.
    >

    > --
    > esoteric_astute
    >

    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Common issue as I stated before. The procedure is listed below:
    >>
    >> Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the
    >> Volume
    >> Control program has not been installed. To install it use Add/Remove
    >> Programs in Control Panel.
    >>
    >> To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the
    >> Windows
    >> XP CD to the system_root \System32 folder on your computer's hard disk.
    >> do this, follow these steps:
    >>
    >> Start/Run/CMD. In the command prompt window type:
    >>
    >> X: (where X is your CD Drive letter)
    >> CD \I386
    >>
    >> Then use the expand command:
    >> expand -r sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32
    >>
    >> Note: This assumes XP is installed on C: and that its installed in the
    >> Windows folder. If not, you'll need to adjust the command accordingly.
    >> Additionally, this must be an installable version of XP, not a "recovery
    >> CD".
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "esoteric_astute" <esotericastute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:225F8308-F5D7-4F57-86C9-CD689A709568@microsoft.com...
    >> > heres what it says when i do that..
    >> >
    >> > windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the
    >> > volume
    >> > control program has not been installed. to install it, use add remove
    >> > programs in control panel.
    >> >
    >> > when i go to add remove... i cant seem to get anything done to download
    >> > and
    >> > install volume control.
    >> > --
    >> > esoteric_astute