[IfComp] "A Day In The Life Of A Super Hero"

Last response: in Video Games
October 3, 2004 5:03:31 AM

I cannot open this game in the Adrift interpreter bundled with the Comp
Interptreters. Maybe a newer one is neccesary?
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 5:03:32 AM

Jacek Lenkiewicz <jaceklen@poczta.fm> writes:

> I cannot open this game in the Adrift interpreter bundled with the
> Comp Interptreters. Maybe a newer one is neccesary?

Assuming you're talking about the Windows interpreter bundle, that
shouldn't be the case. I tested the game using that very
interpreter. Can anyone else confirm whether or not the ADRIFT game
runs under the interpreter bundled with the Windows interpreter
installer?

Stephen

--
Stephen Granade
stephen-usenet@granades.com

"Stephen Granade" <stephen-usenet@granades.com> wrote in message
> Jacek Lenkiewicz <jaceklen@poczta.fm> writes:
>
> > I cannot open this game in the Adrift interpreter bundled with the
> > Comp Interptreters. Maybe a newer one is neccesary?
>
> Assuming you're talking about the Windows interpreter bundle, that
> shouldn't be the case. I tested the game using that very
> interpreter. Can anyone else confirm whether or not the ADRIFT game
> runs under the interpreter bundled with the Windows interpreter
> installer?
>
> Stephen
>
> --
> Stephen Granade
> stephen-usenet@granades.com

I've had a short go at the game, and it appears to work for me, although I
haven't had a thorough play, it did at least get to the main menu, and the
first scene of the game with no apparent problem. I'm using Windows ME, if
that makes any difference. Like Jacek I've got Adrift from the bundle of IF
interpreters for this IFComp.
--
John Hicken bronzefingerspamblocker@boltblue.com (remove spamblocker to
e-mail me)

Stephen Granade <stephen-usenet@granades.com> wrote:
> Assuming you're talking about the Windows interpreter bundle, that
> shouldn't be the case. I tested the game using that very
> interpreter. Can anyone else confirm whether or not the ADRIFT game
> runs under the interpreter bundled with the Windows interpreter
> installer?

That game was at the top of my Comp04.z5 list - it *only* works under
that interpreter, as near as I can tell. gtk-scare choked on the dialogue
menus with bizarre results, and jASEA refused to even load it.

--Michael
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 4:30:20 PM

Stephen Granade wrote:

> Assuming you're talking about the Windows interpreter bundle, that
> shouldn't be the case. I tested the game using that very
> interpreter. Can anyone else confirm whether or not the ADRIFT game
> runs under the interpreter bundled with the Windows interpreter
> installer?
>
> Stephen

Yes, I mean the Windows interpreters, sorry for not being precise. Maybe
it's becuase I'm running it under Windows XP? I'll try to open it on a
different computer.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 4:30:21 PM

It was written under Windows XP so it's definitely not that.

"Jacek Lenkiewicz" <jaceklen@poczta.fm> wrote in message
> Stephen Granade wrote:
>>
>> Assuming you're talking about the Windows interpreter bundle, that
>> shouldn't be the case. I tested the game using that very
>> interpreter. Can anyone else confirm whether or not the ADRIFT game
>> runs under the interpreter bundled with the Windows interpreter
>> installer?
>>
>> Stephen
>>

> Yes, I mean the Windows interpreters, sorry for not being precise. Maybe
> it's becuase I'm running it under Windows XP? I'll try to open it on a
> different computer.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 5:19:19 AM

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:07:22 +0000 (UTC), Michael Chapman Martin <mcmartin@Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> Stephen Granade <stephen-usenet@granades.com> wrote:
>> Assuming you're talking about the Windows interpreter bundle, that
>> shouldn't be the case. I tested the game using that very
>> interpreter. Can anyone else confirm whether or not the ADRIFT game
>> runs under the interpreter bundled with the Windows interpreter
>> installer?
>
> That game was at the top of my Comp04.z5 list - it *only* works under
> that interpreter, as near as I can tell. gtk-scare choked on the dialogue
> menus with bizarre results, and jASEA refused to even load it.
>
> --Michael

I stopped work on jASEA a while back when SCARE got far enough ahead that it
wasn't worth trying to backport changes. But thanks for getting the
capitalization right.

--
------------------------
Mark Jeffrey Tilford

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:03:31 +0200, Jacek Lenkiewicz
<jaceklen@poczta.fm> wrote:

>I cannot open this game in the Adrift interpreter bundled with the Comp
>Interptreters. Maybe a newer one is neccesary?
Does it freeze up totally when you attempt to load it? I had the same
problem with it. I also had the same problem with Sophie's adventure
from last year.

BTW: what is the locale (regional setting) of your OS?
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 4:37:16 PM

Boluc Papuccuoglu wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:03:31 +0200, Jacek Lenkiewicz
> <jaceklen@poczta.fm> wrote:
>

>>I cannot open this game in the Adrift interpreter bundled with the Comp
>>Interptreters. Maybe a newer one is neccesary?
> Does it freeze up totally when you attempt to load it?

Well, yes. It's just loading and loading and doesn't seem to be getting
anywhere; eventually the application freezes.

> I had the same problem with it. I also had the same problem with Sophie's adventure
> from last year.

And how did you fix it (if you did)?

> BTW: what is the locale (regional setting) of your OS?

Polish.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 4:37:17 PM

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 12:37:16 +0200, Jacek Lenkiewicz
<jaceklen@poczta.fm> wrote:

>Boluc Papuccuoglu wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:03:31 +0200, Jacek Lenkiewicz
>> <jaceklen@poczta.fm> wrote:
>>

>>>I cannot open this game in the Adrift interpreter bundled with the Comp
>>>Interptreters. Maybe a newer one is neccesary?
>> Does it freeze up totally when you attempt to load it?
>
>Well, yes. It's just loading and loading and doesn't seem to be getting
>anywhere; eventually the application freezes.
>
>> I had the same problem with it. I also had the same problem with Sophie's adventure
>> from last year.
>
>And how did you fix it (if you did)?

I didn't. Never got to play it.
>> BTW: what is the locale (regional setting) of your OS?
>
>Polish.
Well, my OS's locale is Turkish. Maybe there's a bug in the runner
that crops up on non-english locales?
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 4:37:18 PM

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:40:01 GMT, Boluc Papuccuoglu
<bolucPERIODpapuccuoglu@REMOVETHISaknet.com.tr> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 12:37:16 +0200, Jacek Lenkiewicz
><jaceklen@poczta.fm> wrote:
>
>>Boluc Papuccuoglu wrote:

>>> Does it freeze up totally when you attempt to load it?
>>
>>Well, yes. It's just loading and loading and doesn't seem to be getting
>>anywhere; eventually the application freezes.
>>
>>> I had the same problem with it. I also had the same problem with Sophie's adventure
>>> from last year.
>>
>>And how did you fix it (if you did)?
>>
>I didn't. Never got to play it.
>>> BTW: what is the locale (regional setting) of your OS?
>>
>>Polish.
>Well, my OS's locale is Turkish. Maybe there's a bug in the runner
>that crops up on non-english locales?

I now had time to test this. You have to open regional settings in
your control panel and click the Set Default button in the "Language
Settings for the System" group under the "General" tab. The system
wants a restart after you do this. After the restart, the game runs
fine.

Have fun playing.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 4:59:38 PM

Boluc Papuccuoglu wrote:

> Well, my OS's locale is Turkish. Maybe there's a bug in the runner
> that crops up on non-english locales?

Somehow I doubt it, why there should be? Anyway, I don't have an English
Windows to check it on :( . I also don't suppose that the fact that my
computer is a laptop has anything to do with it. So I guess I'll just
have to give this one an NR, sorry (to the author).
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 5:43:07 PM

Boluc Papuccuoglu wrote:

> I now had time to test this. You have to open regional settings in
> your control panel and click the Set Default button in the "Language
> Settings for the System" group under the "General" tab. The system
> wants a restart after you do this. After the restart, the game runs
> fine.
>
> Have fun playing.

Thanks a lot Boluc, I surely am surprised that this was the case.
Unfortunately, I've got Windows XP and settings are diferent that you've
described... there is no "defalt" button and changing the "localization"
button to, say, United States doesn't help. But don't worry about me,
I'll try to run this game later on another computer, with Win 98.

Regagards,
Jacek.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 10:22:40 PM

Sorry everyone seems to be having such problems getting my game to work. Is
there anything I could change in whatever game I write for next year's comp
that would make it easier to run?

> Boluc Papuccuoglu wrote:
>
> > I now had time to test this. You have to open regional settings in
>> your control panel and click the Set Default button in the "Language
>> Settings for the System" group under the "General" tab. The system
>> wants a restart after you do this. After the restart, the game runs
>> fine.
>>
>> Have fun playing.
>
> Thanks a lot Boluc, I surely am surprised that this was the case.
> Unfortunately, I've got Windows XP and settings are diferent that you've
> described... there is no "defalt" button and changing the "localization"
> button to, say, United States doesn't help. But don't worry about me, I'll
> try to run this game later on another computer, with Win 98.
>
> Regagards,
> Jacek.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 10:57:44 PM

David Whyld wrote:
> Sorry everyone seems to be having such problems getting my game to work. Is there anything I could change in whatever game I
> write for next year's comp that would make it easier to run?

I doubt there's anything you can change in the game: from the sound
of Jacek and Boluc's problems, the Adrift runner is making some assumption
somewhere that isn't valid on non-English Windows (usually it's assumptions
about the character set that causes nasty surprises).

You could try it with the Windows build of SCARE to see if it runs all
the way through on that, which may work better on such systems. On the
other hand, it may not ...

David
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 12:49:55 AM

One thing I'll do is include a README file with the game which will point
out possible errors like this.

I wonder how many people using non-English computers have run into problems
with Adrift before because of things like this?

"David Kinder" <d.kinder@btinternetspamnothankyou.com> wrote in message
> David Whyld wrote:
>> Sorry everyone seems to be having such problems getting my game to work.
>> Is there anything I could change in whatever game I write for next year's
>> comp that would make it easier to run?
>
> I doubt there's anything you can change in the game: from the sound
> of Jacek and Boluc's problems, the Adrift runner is making some assumption
> somewhere that isn't valid on non-English Windows (usually it's
> assumptions
> about the character set that causes nasty surprises).
>
> You could try it with the Windows build of SCARE to see if it runs all
> the way through on that, which may work better on such systems. On the
> other hand, it may not ...
>
> David

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 2:21:04 AM

David Whyld:
> I wonder how many people using non-English computers have run into problems with Adrift before because of things like this?

I'm completely guessing here, but if it's only a problem on systems not
using the Western European character set, then maybe not many - on
Windows the same code page (1252) is used for English, French, Italian,
etc., so the problem might only show up with different code pages (such
as Cyrillic (1251)).

David
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 3:37:37 AM

Ah. So not as bad as I thought then.

> David Whyld:
>> I wonder how many people using non-English computers have run into
>> problems with Adrift before because of things like this?
>
> I'm completely guessing here, but if it's only a problem on systems not
> using the Western European character set, then maybe not many - on
> Windows the same code page (1252) is used for English, French, Italian,
> etc., so the problem might only show up with different code pages (such
> as Cyrillic (1251)).
>
> David

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 7:53:54 AM

In article <416186e5$0$82237$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net>,
David Whyld <me@dwhyld.plus.com> wrote:
>Sorry everyone seems to be having such problems getting my game to work. Is
>there anything I could change in whatever game I write for next year's comp
>that would make it easier to run?

I'm about to say something snarky and unhelpful and vile:

Write it in Inform or TADS or Hugo.

Adam
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 12:08:15 PM

David Whyld <me@dwhyld.plus.com> wrote:
> Sorry everyone seems to be having such problems getting my game to work. Is
> there anything I could change in whatever game I write for next year's comp
> that would make it easier to run?

Test it on SCARE before release, and (no doubt contrary to the objections
you are already raising) modify your game logic so that it works there too.

.... Other comments on things that should probably be done can't be done
without discussing the game in currently inappropriate detail, so I'll
probably post on that in Mid-November or thereabouts. Some of the
more interesting failure modes are almost textbook-worthy examples.

--Michael
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:50:18 PM

Michael Chapman Martin <mcmartin@Stanford.EDU> wrote in message news:<cjtkpf$ohf$1@news.Stanford.EDU>...
> David Whyld <me@dwhyld.plus.com> wrote:
> > Sorry everyone seems to be having such problems getting my game to work. Is
> > there anything I could change in whatever game I write for next year's comp
> > that would make it easier to run?
>
> Test it on SCARE before release, and (no doubt contrary to the objections
> you are already raising) modify your game logic so that it works there too.

Should you do this, please report any significant differences in
behavior as SCARE bugs.

> ... Other comments on things that should probably be done can't be done
> without discussing the game in currently inappropriate detail, so I'll
> probably post on that in Mid-November or thereabouts. Some of the
> more interesting failure modes are almost textbook-worthy examples.

Just a brief note here. Adrift is not open-source, and the system's
author is very reluctant to give away much, if anything, about its
internal operation. SCARE is the product of reverse engineering
Adrift -- in effect, a lot of trial and error. There are,
unavoidably, areas of SCARE that won't be fully compatible with real
Adrift.

So, while SCARE works well enough to run a good selection of Adrift
games for most practical purposes, please consider a little latitude
when using it for IFComp entries. If you see something odd with a
game, it could be the game, but it could also be SCARE -- please try
to verify things with the real Adrift runner, or make allowances if
you can.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 3:50:05 PM

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:37:37 +0100, "David Whyld" <me@dwhyld.plus.com>
wrote:

>Ah. So not as bad as I thought then.
>
>"David Kinder" <d.kinder@btinternetspamnothankyou.com> wrote in message
>> David Whyld:
>>> I wonder how many people using non-English computers have run into
>>> problems with Adrift before because of things like this?
>>
>> I'm completely guessing here, but if it's only a problem on systems not
>> using the Western European character set, then maybe not many - on
>> Windows the same code page (1252) is used for English, French, Italian,
>> etc., so the problem might only show up with different code pages (such
>> as Cyrillic (1251)).
>>
>> David

Using SCARE to run "Day In The Life..." takes care of the problem.
However "Sophie's Adventure" seems unable to run under SCARE as well.
Since your games are the only ones that seem to run into this kind of
trouble, perhaps you are using a build option or somesuch that doesnt
go well with nonwestern locales. Perhaps you should compare what
options you use with those other authors use?
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 4:41:18 PM

Boluc Papuccuoglu <bolucPERIODpapuccuoglu@REMOVETHISaknet.com.tr> wrote in message news:<bd25m0lokjvsfc0u95dulutflaeksuqtca@4ax.com>...
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:37:37 +0100, "David Whyld" <me@dwhyld.plus.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Ah. So not as bad as I thought then.
> >
> >"David Kinder" <d.kinder@btinternetspamnothankyou.com> wrote in message
> >> David Whyld:
> >>
> >> I'm completely guessing here, but if it's only a problem on systems not
> >> using the Western European character set, then maybe not many - on
> >> Windows the same code page (1252) is used for English, French, Italian,
> >> etc., so the problem might only show up with different code pages (such
> >> as Cyrillic (1251)).
> >>
> >> David
> >>

> Using SCARE to run "Day In The Life..." takes care of the problem.

That's good -- thank you for the report.

> However "Sophie's Adventure" seems unable to run under SCARE as well.
> Since your games are the only ones that seem to run into this kind of
> trouble, perhaps you are using a build option or somesuch that doesnt
> go well with nonwestern locales. Perhaps you should compare what
> options you use with those other authors use?

SCARE does indeed have a problem loading the Comp03 release of
"Sophie's Adventure". It shows up as the message "invalid integer at
line 225749", or similar.

The Comp03 release of this game seemed to have been the victim of an
Adrift Generator bug that caused it to write out an inconsistent game
data file, even though the information entered into the Generator was
correct. Somehow, and it's unclear just how, the real Adrift Runner
is able to cope with the file's inconsistencies (at least in terms of
portions, though).

There's a note about this in SCARE's README files. David's made a
fixed release of this game at his web site, shadowvault.net, and this
one does load and run correctly in SCARE.

In other words, David was just unlucky with "Sophie's Adventure" here,
in that he ran into an obscure Adrift bug at an unfortunate moment.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 4:57:41 PM

"Boluc Papuccuoglu" <bolucPERIODpapuccuoglu@REMOVETHISaknet.com.tr> wrote in
message news:bd25m0lokjvsfc0u95dulutflaeksuqtca@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:37:37 +0100, "David Whyld" <me@dwhyld.plus.com>
> wrote:
>

> Using SCARE to run "Day In The Life..." takes care of the problem.
> However "Sophie's Adventure" seems unable to run under SCARE as well.
> Since your games are the only ones that seem to run into this kind of
> trouble, perhaps you are using a build option or somesuch that doesnt
> go well with nonwestern locales. Perhaps you should compare what
> options you use with those other authors use?

I was assuming I used the same option as everyone else using Adrift: write
the game, test it, have other people test it, upload it. But clearly there's
something else at issue here. "Sophie's Adventure" originally didn't work
under jAsea but with the help of jAsea's author and SCARE's author I was
able to get it to work. Maybe the same thing has happened with "Hero". If
so, with the next game I write I might test it every day with jAsea and
SCARE to see if I can pinpoint what is going wrong.

Thanks.
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 2:10:25 AM

Simon Baldwin <simonb@sco.com> wrote:
> Just a brief note here. Adrift is not open-source, and the system's
> author is very reluctant to give away much, if anything, about its
> internal operation. SCARE is the product of reverse engineering
> Adrift -- in effect, a lot of trial and error. There are,
> unavoidably, areas of SCARE that won't be fully compatible with real
> Adrift.

Quite so, and I salute you for attempting this task. However, I would
warn comp judges that if the conversation menus are acting up in SCARE
that they should test it on the real runner before giving up in disgust.

On the other hand, one utterly baffling exchange I got was clearer
because SCARE tells you what actually is being sent to the interpreter,
so for me it evens out. :)

--Michael
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 9:19:26 PM

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:10:25 +0000 (UTC), Michael Chapman Martin <mcmartin@Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> Simon Baldwin <simonb@sco.com> wrote:
>> Just a brief note here. Adrift is not open-source, and the system's
>> author is very reluctant to give away much, if anything, about its
>> internal operation. SCARE is the product of reverse engineering
>> Adrift -- in effect, a lot of trial and error. There are,
>> unavoidably, areas of SCARE that won't be fully compatible with real
>> Adrift.
>
> Quite so, and I salute you for attempting this task. However, I would
> warn comp judges that if the conversation menus are acting up in SCARE
> that they should test it on the real runner before giving up in disgust.
>
> On the other hand, one utterly baffling exchange I got was clearer
> because SCARE tells you what actually is being sent to the interpreter,
> so for me it evens out. :)
>
> --Michael

Actually, I was the person who did the bulk of the reverse-engineering of
ADRIFT, though I'm not sure how much Simon has done since I ended jASEA.

--
------------------------
Mark Jeffrey Tilford

On 5 Oct 2004 12:41:18 -0700, Simon Baldwin <simonb@sco.com> wrote:

>> However "Sophie's Adventure" seems unable to run under SCARE as well.
>> Since your games are the only ones that seem to run into this kind of
>> trouble, perhaps you are using a build option or somesuch that doesnt
>> go well with nonwestern locales. Perhaps you should compare what
>> options you use with those other authors use?
>

> SCARE does indeed have a problem loading the Comp03 release of
> "Sophie's Adventure". It shows up as the message "invalid integer at
> line 225749", or similar.
>
> The Comp03 release of this game seemed to have been the victim of an
> Adrift Generator bug that caused it to write out an inconsistent game
> data file, even though the information entered into the Generator was
> correct. Somehow, and it's unclear just how, the real Adrift Runner
> is able to cope with the file's inconsistencies (at least in terms of
> portions, though).

ADRIFT seems to have a policy of ignoring anything not understood.
Because I didn't know the exact format or behavior, I wrote jASEA to be very
strict about what it would accept; SCARE continued that policy.

--
------------------------
Mark Jeffrey Tilford

Mark J. Tilford <tilford@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Actually, I was the person who did the bulk of the reverse-engineering of
> ADRIFT, though I'm not sure how much Simon has done since I ended jASEA.

Well, my intent was, I wasn't being annoyed for imperfect play. and I
was afraid that I'd sounded like I was in my original post.

All the same, duly noted.

--Michael
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 2:08:40 AM

In article <44c7791e.0410050850.1cb48e@posting.google.com>,
Simon Baldwin <simonb@sco.com> wrote:
>Just a brief note here. Adrift is not open-source, and the system's
>author is very reluctant to give away much, if anything, about its
>internal operation.

Why would anybody use it, then?

(I haven't been by the if groups in a while, and this thread is the first
I've heard of "Adrift".)
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 5:33:06 AM

"Trevor Barrie" <tbarrie@cs.toronto.edu> skrev i melding
> In article <44c7791e.0410050850.1cb48e@posting.google.com>,
> Simon Baldwin <simonb@sco.com> wrote:
> >Just a brief note here. Adrift is not open-source, and the system's
> >author is very reluctant to give away much, if anything, about its
> >internal operation.
>
> Why would anybody use it, then?

It is very easy to make a simple game with it.
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 9:39:09 AM

"Jan Thorsby" <no_jthorsby_spam@broadpark.no> wrote in message news:<4164811d$1@news.broadpark.no>...
> "Trevor Barrie" <tbarrie@cs.toronto.edu> skrev i melding
> > In article <44c7791e.0410050850.1cb48e@posting.google.com>,
> > Simon Baldwin <simonb@sco.com> wrote:
> > >Just a brief note here. Adrift is not open-source, and the system's
> > >author is very reluctant to give away much, if anything, about its
> > >internal operation.
> >
> > Why would anybody use it, then?
>
> It is very easy to make a simple game with it.

The same could be said about any system. Adrift is the easiest system
to use of them all, IMHO, but it can produce complex games if that's
what you're after. Of the nine games I've so far played in this year's
IFComp, I'd say mine is more complex than all but one of them.
!