cannot install drivers for gigabit ethernet

a b \ Driver
July 6, 2005 10:22:02 PM

Here's one for you XP sleuths.

I just installed MSI's K7N2 Delta 2 Platinum board with NVidia nForce 2
chipset that includes a gigabit ethernet adapter. I've loaded all the board
drivers from the CD supplied by MSI. XP (SP1) does not recognize the
broadband connection through the cable modem using the ethernet adapter,
although it likes a USB connection. The ethernet connector LEDs are lit,
indicating that the physical connection is good (packets from the modem are
knocking on the door). Device Mgr shows the on-board adapter as "NVIDIA
nForce Networking Controller #3". Properties shows "drivers not installed
(code 28)". On attempting to reinstall the drivers from the CD, I get the
following message from the hardware update wizard: "Cannot install hardware.
An error occurred during the installation of the device. The name is already
in use as either a service name or a service display name."

Can anyone tell me how to locate the place of residence of these two unnamed
culprits (denizens of the registry, I assume) and how I might go about
evicting them? (If you haven't already guessed, about the registry I know
nothing!)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 7, 2005 5:50:59 AM

Did you try installing the drivers from Device Manager. rt click on
Nvidia Networking Controller and select Update drivers.
Have the MSI CD in the cdrom drive. Just follow the instructions and
you may have to point to where the drivers are located.

!