Getting Back to Sleep (Exige)

I was just wondering: has anyone been able to run Getting Back To
Sleep (exige.exe)?

When I followed the link he sent in case of program failure, my
computer wanted to download Windows Service Pack 2. I haven't yet
gotten the download installed to see if that actually helps, but his
game sure doesn't run on my computer without it.

Carolyn

Jan

carolynmagruder@yahoo.com (Carolyn Magruder) wrote in

> I was just wondering: has anyone been able to run Getting Back
> To Sleep (exige.exe)?
>
> When I followed the link he sent in case of program failure, my
> computer wanted to download Windows Service Pack 2. I haven't
> yet gotten the download installed to see if that actually
> helps, but his game sure doesn't run on my computer without it.

Do you have the .NET framework? And was that a link to the Windows
Update site? Maybe that's why you're being offered SP2. You
shouldn't need SP2 though, just the .NET Framework 1.1, which is one
of the "optional software updates" (in the menu on the left). You
might have to take the "Custom Install" route from the WU homepage
(or maybe that's just on SP2 systems).

Good luck.

I needed to install the Microsoft .NET extension, a piece of software
that started no less than two processes that tried to connect to the
internet without asking me. (But were stopped by my firewall without any
apparent loss of the software's functionality.) Once I did that,
exige.exe was also blocked by my firewall, as it needed to connect to
localhost at port 60000, or some such thing. So you'll need to allow it
to do that too. (I hope it's safe.) After that, the game ran without any
trouble.

Greetings,
Victor Gijsbers

On lundi 4 Octobre 2004 15:42, Victor Gijsbers wrote:

> Once I did that, exige.exe was also blocked by my firewall, as
> it needed to connect to localhost at port 60000, or some such
> thing. So you'll need to allow it to do that too. (I hope it's
> safe.)

localhost, as the name implies, is an internal name for one's own
computer. So, having a program that wants to connect to localhost
is not much of a security issue.

Your firewall seems a bit paranoid to me (mine is set to allow all
connections from localhost to localhost), but sometimes paranoia
is good.

--
spam.bucket@free.fr
You have my name and my hostname: you can mail me.

Il Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:42:28 +0000, Victor Gijsbers ha scritto:

> Once I did that,
> exige.exe was also blocked by my firewall, as it needed to connect to
> localhost at port 60000, or some such thing.

Uh.... This seems VERY suspicious to me.....

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

"Dott. Piergiorgio" <dott.piergiorgioAKAGI@fastwebnet.itKAGA> writes:

> Il Mon, 04 Oct 2004 13:42:28 +0000, Victor Gijsbers ha scritto:
>
> > Once I did that,
> > exige.exe was also blocked by my firewall, as it needed to connect to
> > localhost at port 60000, or some such thing.
>
> Uh.... This seems VERY suspicious to me.....

I checked on this when the game was first uploaded. It's set up as a
terminal-and-server application (which I'm guessing is where the .NET
comes in) but only talks to itself on localhost. It doesn't contact
any outside servers. If you are truly worried, you can unplug your
ethernet cable while playing.

Stephen

--
Stephen Granade
stephen-usenet@granades.com

Il Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:54:55 +0000, Stephen Granade ha scritto:

> If you are truly worried, you can unplug your
> ethernet cable while playing.

I'm not so worried, I'm behind a well equipped Linux box ;)

I'm worried for the other people, who use winlose.

By the way, the last year there was some suspicion on a TADS game, and
albeit the game was OK, but the discussione led to the recognition of a
serious vulnerability issue in TADS itself (Now resolved)

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

On mardi 5 Octobre 2004 14:15, Dott. Piergiorgio wrote:

> By the way, the last year there was some suspicion on a TADS
> game, and albeit the game was OK, but the discussione led to the
> recognition of a serious vulnerability issue in TADS itself (Now
> resolved)

If you're talking about the ability to run external code, it's
exactly as big a security issue as running this year's
Windows-only entries: you give a stranger's program complete
control over your computer (unless you are not using Windows with
the Administrator account, which few users do).

--

Il Tue, 05 Oct 2004 15:17:40 +0200, Adrien Beau ha scritto:

> If you're talking about the ability to run external code

Yes, I'm referring to this.

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.