Sign in with
Your question

137GB limit and XP SP1 install?

Last response: in Storage
September 17, 2004 2:45:55 AM

Lots of people have probably asked this question before, so sorry. I got the SP2 CD in the mail and I'd like to do a clean install of Windows XP. I went out and bought a 160GB Western Digital HD WD1600JB.

If I try to use Windows XP SP1 disk that came with my computer, will Windows automatically recognize/partition/ format the drive to 160GB?

Western digital has "Data Lifeguard Tools 11 CD" to partition/format a hard drive. Is this a better(safer) way to deal with the 137GB problem? WD has a warning that says "most ATA drivers that ship with windows do not support drives over 137GB." Doesn't SP1 address this? I'd rather use Windows to partition/format so I can just follow the installation tutorial from blackviper.com

Gateway says my bios is ready.
2.52Ghz Pentium 4, 512MB ram
September 17, 2004 4:23:24 AM

<b><A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013&Product=winxp" target="_new"><font color=blue>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 303013</A></b></font color=blue>

>>This article describes the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can increase the capacity of your hard disk to more than the <b><font color=red>current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit</b></font color=red>.

Note Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are running <b><font color=red>Windows XP SP1</b></font color=red>. If you want to use 48-bit LBA support, you must apply Windows XP SP1 or later. Windows XP Media Center Edition and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition already include SP1.<<

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
September 19, 2004 5:53:00 AM

XP SP1 works fine with large drives and will format with a full sized partition if you choose.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
September 20, 2004 10:57:48 PM

what about 98se & a 160gig partitioned into 20-60 gig slices... any use or just forget about it ???

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...
September 21, 2004 12:26:47 AM

I have never used any large HD (40GB and up) w/o partition it, and I used to have Win98 SE before on 120GB HD that divided to 3 partitions. AFAIK, it'd be OK to use 160GB HD if you partition it into many logical drives.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
September 21, 2004 8:44:31 AM

good, i have just ordered a 160gig drive & dont want my backup OS 2 throw a wobbler... cheers

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...
!