Bad Case of Error 101

oipluckie

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Having a difficult problem with my internet connection and I still haven't been able to isolate the problem. My ISP was no help at all and I'm stuck with getting constant error 101. Been reading around and still haven't been able to find an answer.

So far I've tried the usual troubleshooting from power cycling, resetting, and switching out the modem. I've tried ping and speed tests and everything looks to be fine.

I'd have to click a link or refresh several times before I can actually to get to the webpage, though if I were to leave it there I'd get the error 101. It's also affecting my Steam program where the main store page would get 3 different errors. error 101, error -7 and another one i can't seem to remember.

It worked fine several days ago, and I've even tried reformatting my hard drive and still no luck. I've checked the proxy thing and tried /flushdns. This is happening across multiple computers so I figured it wasn't just mine. The ISP said that they see no problems on their end and everything looks fine.

I already tried scanning computer with malwarebytes and avast and they haven't found anything. I tried disabling both of those and firewall after the reformat and I still can't seem to get it fixed. I can only think that it's a problem with the ISP and nothing on my end. Also I tried this on 4 different browsers. I think that's it and any sort of help would be immensely be appreciated.

With Cableone and the modem is a Motorola Surfboard sbg6850.

oipluckie

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Well I switched it out with the same modem, but I felt like it couldn't be because of the modem since it worked just a couple days ago. Though If I get the chance I was going to take the modem to a family's house to test their cable and my computer there.

How do I go about using a new hostsfile? I'm not too knowledgeable about that area and thanks for the responses. Sometimes I load a webpage and it comes up right away, but at other times the same page would just sit there and load unless I refresh or click the link again.

As I'm typing, though the page loaded fine, the little loading animation is still going.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
My last move I moved a staggering 5 blocks. I bubble wrapped my dsl box and put that box with the china in the car and hand moved it. *itch died sometime during the 5 min move, these things just happen.

Before you get a new one, if it doesn't work at the new place ... try a different cable. I know it sounds silly but I've been there ripping my hair out after replacing everything (except the cable) wondering how a effectively new system has the same problems.

oipluckie

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Before you get a new one, if it doesn't work at the new place ... try a different cable. I know it sounds silly but I've been there ripping my hair out after replacing everything (except the cable) wondering how a effectively new system has the same problems.

Yea, still waiting to try my modem at another place when I can. Though I've already switched it out with one at cable one, I really don't think it has to do anything with the modem. I honestly think it has to do something with the line itself because it started to happen some time after the hurricane that past through here.

When I do get my modem and computer over to a family's place and it works fine, I'm gonna give them another call, because I literally done almost everything I can think of. I really doubt it's my system since it is happening across multiple computers.

I've done the new hostsfile thing and sadly it didn't work :(. I'm not sure if I can replace the cable, since it was like a direct line into my room, so I'd probably have to get them to come by and do it for me if that's the case.