Sign in with
Your question

Gateway fdp1950 monitors dying on me left and right!!! help

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 19, 2007 9:14:10 PM

I work IT for a local company. We house about 500 LCD monitors. Of those, 150 are Gateway fdp1950. They are all about 2 years old now. We keep having problems with them just dying. I have searched everywhere online looking for a solution/fix. Gateway refuses to say there is any problem with this model, but we have had 37 of them go bad. A 24% failure rate at 2 years seems very high to me! The warranty is over now, so no more free replacements. The problem is NOT with the backlight inverter. I took a working and broken monitor and switched the inverter, no change. I switched the video output card/board (the thing that has the DVI and VGA physical connectors on it) and that fixed the broken monitor. I don't know the proper name for this part - much less where to get them. Can anyone help, please? I need a parts supplier for this item, assuming the cost isn't so high it would be foolish to repair these.

Thanks in advance,
Richard Stephenson
ORN :) 
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2007 12:35:33 AM

You could try ebay and see if there are any parts like that (if nothing else to get a name). You could also try messing with the broken part that you replaced and try different things to see if you can make that part work again (so maybe you can just repair all the monitors).
February 16, 2009 6:20:11 PM

see the last entry here
http://www.topix.com/forum/tech/TNTK13PFRQURRRJJC/p3

even though he might not repair your models, he is sure to know what the part you are referring to is called and probably a source to get them...

post the answer please!

I'm working on it too...but have a different issue from yours...
Related resources
October 3, 2010 2:43:33 PM

ornsley said:
I work IT for a local company. We house about 500 LCD monitors. Of those, 150 are Gateway fdp1950. They are all about 2 years old now. We keep having problems with them just dying. I have searched everywhere online looking for a solution/fix. Gateway refuses to say there is any problem with this model, but we have had 37 of them go bad. A 24% failure rate at 2 years seems very high to me! The warranty is over now, so no more free replacements. The problem is NOT with the backlight inverter. I took a working and broken monitor and switched the inverter, no change. I switched the video output card/board (the thing that has the DVI and VGA physical connectors on it) and that fixed the broken monitor. I don't know the proper name for this part - much less where to get them. Can anyone help, please? I need a parts supplier for this item, assuming the cost isn't so high it would be foolish to repair these.

Thanks in advance,
Richard Stephenson
ORN :) 

yes i can repair the PCB (printed circuit boards) for most of these monitors.
contact Sprint6 At Zoominternet.net
January 6, 2011 5:50:54 PM

It seems that you are having a problem with the video main processing boards on these units. There should be numbers on the board to indicate the part, and cross-reference this by a search on a LCD parts supplier’s website.
But in my experience with gateway is that there are none available.
I do monitor repairs and have serviced some of the boards on larger screens. If you would be able to send a unit, we may be able to find a repair solution to your failure problem, at a low cost overall.
Email sprint6@zoominternet.net
!