Removable drives

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
i had a plan the get a tray so i could have a couple og hdds to swap between, just like CD's and floppys, and so i did.
now the question is .. how do i get windows to "see" it as a removable drive and not as a normal HDD.
but the properties\policies (write caching and safe removal) for the drive is grayed out. .. how do i enable it

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
You have the drive attached to a hot-swap capable controller?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
One of the superior features of 9x (preferably 98SE) was that you could set ANY hard drive as removable and swap them using a standard drive rack (one without any gadgets). SATA is supposed to eventually add that capability to XP, but I'm not sure all the standards for that are in place yet.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

optimist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
ok .. i can however remove the drive and reinsert it without windows crashing .. but that might result i data loss if there is something still in the cache, so .. is there a program out there that might be able to either disable cache for the hdd or enable a safe removable button for it ?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by optimist on 09/19/04 08:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Windows has a utility for doing that, but doesn't recognise your disk as removable...and I'm not certain the controller is up to the task of making it removable, configuring disk on the fly. You're up for some research.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>