IP Trackers

Anyone know of an IP tracker/tracer that will trace AOL addresses to the
specific city the PC is in? Most I've seen recommended here trace only to
Dulles, VA.
10 answers Last reply
More about trackers

    You do realize that IP addresses have NO connection to geographic
    locations, or maybe you don't, since then you wouldn't have asked.

    anon wrote:

    > Anyone know of an IP tracker/tracer that will trace AOL addresses to the
    > specific city the PC is in? Most I've seen recommended here trace only to
    > Dulles, VA.

    Perhaps it varies from IP to IP, but in fact I have traced IP addresses to
    the cities in which I know the logged-in PCs were located. And there is a
    tool that will do this even for AOL addresses. The one I'm thinking of has a
    map visually to trace hops and also produces text listing the addresses where
    the hops take place. Anyone?

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > You do realize that IP addresses have NO connection to geographic
    > locations, or maybe you don't, since then you wouldn't have asked.
    >
    > anon wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone know of an IP tracker/tracer that will trace AOL addresses to the
    > > specific city the PC is in? Most I've seen recommended here trace only to
    > > Dulles, VA.

    In article <uCAYSqvgFHA.3000@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, birelan@yahoo.com
    says...
    > You do realize that IP addresses have NO connection to geographic
    > locations, or maybe you don't, since then you wouldn't have asked.

    Actually, while IP addresses are not a certain indication, they are
    assigned to companies/ISP that tend to cover a region - in general,
    they, depending on the country, are a relative indicator of what country
    a IP is being used from. Yes, there are exceptions (as I mentioned), but
    in general IP's assigned by Foreign countries are not found in other
    countries.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    So, you agree there is no connection between geographic location and IP
    addresses. Any association is pure happenstance and after the fact.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <uCAYSqvgFHA.3000@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, birelan@yahoo.com
    > says...
    >
    >>You do realize that IP addresses have NO connection to geographic
    >>locations, or maybe you don't, since then you wouldn't have asked.
    >

    > Actually, while IP addresses are not a certain indication, they are
    > assigned to companies/ISP that tend to cover a region - in general,
    > they, depending on the country, are a relative indicator of what country
    > a IP is being used from. Yes, there are exceptions (as I mentioned), but
    > in general IP's assigned by Foreign countries are not found in other
    > countries.

    http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm
    gets pretty close most times,
    aol uses proxy servers, so aol tracking is iffy almost always.

    In article <E845AA79-768B-41FD-9003-7C903E045619@microsoft.com>,
    anon@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > Perhaps it varies from IP to IP, but in fact I have traced IP addresses to
    > the cities in which I know the logged-in PCs were located. And there is a
    > tool that will do this even for AOL addresses. The one I'm thinking of has a
    > map visually to trace hops and also produces text listing the addresses where
    > the hops take place. Anyone?

    Visual Route 8 works like that, and it will display the network owners
    information at each hop - which includes the IP Range they own, so you
    can work backwards and add all those foreign subnets to your block list.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    In article <epRywOwgFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, birelan@yahoo.com
    says...
    > So, you agree there is no connection between geographic location and IP
    > addresses. Any association is pure happenstance and after the fact.

    No, I do not agree - for the most part there is a direct connection
    between an IP and the geographical location of it's use. When I connect
    to my local Road Runner POP I don't get an IP that's based out of Texas
    or Canada, my IP is easily found to be in Ohio.

    If you mean street level, then yes, there is no direct relation between
    IP and the street address of the user with that IP. In most cases you
    can determine the City that an IP is being used from.

    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    > > In article <uCAYSqvgFHA.3000@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, birelan@yahoo.com
    > > says...
    > >
    > >>You do realize that IP addresses have NO connection to geographic
    > >>locations, or maybe you don't, since then you wouldn't have asked.
    > >

    > > Actually, while IP addresses are not a certain indication, they are
    > > assigned to companies/ISP that tend to cover a region - in general,
    > > they, depending on the country, are a relative indicator of what country
    > > a IP is being used from. Yes, there are exceptions (as I mentioned), but
    > > in general IP's assigned by Foreign countries are not found in other
    > > countries.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 20:49:02 -0700, "anon"
    <anon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Anyone know of an IP tracker/tracer that will trace AOL addresses to the
    >specific city the PC is in? Most I've seen recommended here trace only to
    >Dulles, VA.

    All AOL ip addresses will trace back to Dulles VA. No Exceptions. If
    the person sends mail, posts a usenet newsmessage etc,using AOL it
    all goes through dulles first before it goes out on the net.

    Think of it this way....AOL is one big Local Network That has gateways
    to the internet. When people connect to AOL they are logging into a
    private network. When they do anything on the net from that network
    they have to go out thru AOL's gateways.
  9. <a href=http://www.srogosz.eu/>adwokat częstochowa </a>
  10. <a href=http://www.kar-ma.pl>eukanuba</a>

IP Microsoft Trace Windows XP