drive. The reason is whenever I do a re-install of my operating system all
my saved data on the second hard drive is still there and I don't have to
worry about losing my data unless the hard drive it's on goes bad.

Now I just bought a new 200 GB external hard drive and plan to keep my data
on that drive freeing up my #2 hard drive. Here is my question,

Could I install my operating system on hard drive#1 and then whenever I
install any programs install them on #2 hard drive. I know I can do this but
what I want to know is, if I had to re-install my operating system again on
#1 hard drive ,once installed would all my programs still be available on #2
hard drive ? I'm trying to figure out a way that I don't have to re-install
every program again when I do a re-install of my operating system.

Will this work???

Sounds like a image of my OS and programs is the most popular opinions so I
guess that is what is best. Now another question, Should I do a fresh
install of XP Pro and install all my main porgrams and then make a image.
???