file searches stopped by ZIP files

Hi there:
After a fresh formatting and installation of XP Pro, my file searches are
coming to a halt when it comes across some of my zip files. The animated
character stops for a while, then restarts, the progress bar shows the search
is continuing, but it never gets past the zip file. It has happened with more
than 1 zip file, and has happened more than once with the same zips. I am
basically forced to unplug my computer in otder to be able to use it. Before
the reinstall, these files did not interfere in anyway with searches for
files.
Any ideas?
john
4 answers Last reply
More about file searches stopped files

    Hi John,

    To help in the meantime:

    Before Search:
    regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll
    regsvr32 /u cabview.dll

    After Search:
    regsvr32 zipfldr.dll
    regsvr32 cabview.dll

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "JohnnyJomp" <JohnnyJomp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there:
    > After a fresh formatting and installation of XP Pro, my file searches are
    > coming to a halt when it comes across some of my zip files. The animated
    > character stops for a while, then restarts, the progress bar shows the
    > search
    > is continuing, but it never gets past the zip file. It has happened with
    > more
    > than 1 zip file, and has happened more than once with the same zips. I am
    > basically forced to unplug my computer in otder to be able to use it.
    > Before
    > the reinstall, these files did not interfere in anyway with searches for
    > files.
    > Any ideas?
    > john

    Disable searching in ZIP files is to turn off Win XP's support for
    treating ZIP files as folders.

    From the Start menu's Run dialog, enter this command: regsvr32 /u
    zipfldr.dll. Repeat and enter regsvr32 /u cabview.dll.Restart your computer.
    Now, when you search, the operating system will ignore ZIP folders
    instead of treating them as folders.
    But will either need third party handling for zip files (eg Winzip) or
    turn the facility on again by repeating the two regsvr32 commands
    without the /u.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    JohnnyJomp wrote:

    > Hi there:
    > After a fresh formatting and installation of XP Pro, my file searches are
    > coming to a halt when it comes across some of my zip files. The animated
    > character stops for a while, then restarts, the progress bar shows the search
    > is continuing, but it never gets past the zip file. It has happened with more
    > than 1 zip file, and has happened more than once with the same zips. I am
    > basically forced to unplug my computer in otder to be able to use it. Before
    > the reinstall, these files did not interfere in anyway with searches for
    > files.
    > Any ideas?
    > john

    Thanks Kelly and SSG. I will do this.
    Thanks again
    John

    "S.Sengupta" wrote:

    > Disable searching in ZIP files is to turn off Win XP's support for
    > treating ZIP files as folders.
    >
    > From the Start menu's Run dialog, enter this command: regsvr32 /u
    > zipfldr.dll. Repeat and enter regsvr32 /u cabview.dll.Restart your computer.
    > Now, when you search, the operating system will ignore ZIP folders
    > instead of treating them as folders.
    > But will either need third party handling for zip files (eg Winzip) or
    > turn the facility on again by repeating the two regsvr32 commands
    > without the /u.
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >

    > JohnnyJomp wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there:
    > > After a fresh formatting and installation of XP Pro, my file searches are
    > > coming to a halt when it comes across some of my zip files. The animated
    > > character stops for a while, then restarts, the progress bar shows the search
    > > is continuing, but it never gets past the zip file. It has happened with more
    > > than 1 zip file, and has happened more than once with the same zips. I am
    > > basically forced to unplug my computer in otder to be able to use it. Before
    > > the reinstall, these files did not interfere in anyway with searches for
    > > files.
    > > Any ideas?
    > > john

    Most welcome, John. Thanks for the feedback and good luck!

    --

    > Thanks Kelly and SSG. I will do this.
    > Thanks again
    > John
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
    >
    >> Disable searching in ZIP files is to turn off Win XP's support for
    >> treating ZIP files as folders.
    >>
    >> From the Start menu's Run dialog, enter this command: regsvr32 /u
    >> zipfldr.dll. Repeat and enter regsvr32 /u cabview.dll.Restart your
    >> computer.
    >> Now, when you search, the operating system will ignore ZIP folders
    >> instead of treating them as folders.
    >> But will either need third party handling for zip files (eg Winzip) or
    >> turn the facility on again by repeating the two regsvr32 commands
    >> without the /u.
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >>

    >> JohnnyJomp wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi there:
    >> > After a fresh formatting and installation of XP Pro, my file searches
    >> > are
    >> > coming to a halt when it comes across some of my zip files. The
    >> > animated
    >> > character stops for a while, then restarts, the progress bar shows the
    >> > search
    >> > is continuing, but it never gets past the zip file. It has happened
    >> > with more
    >> > than 1 zip file, and has happened more than once with the same zips. I
    >> > am
    >> > basically forced to unplug my computer in otder to be able to use it.
    >> > Before
    >> > the reinstall, these files did not interfere in anyway with searches
    >> > for
    >> > files.
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> > john