system volume information

Hi there:
After buying a new hard drive, formatting it, and installing XP Pro, I
noticed that my old hard drive, as well as my new one, have folders called
System Volume Information.
I had not noticed this before. Even after I formatted the old hard drive,
the folder is still there.
Should it be on both drives? Should I delete one or the other? If so, how?
If formatting does not get rid of it, I can't imagie what will.
Thanks for any tips...
John
2 answers Last reply
More about system volume information

    These are your system restore points. Don't delete them unless virus and/or
    spyware related issues are involved.

    As per your not seeing them before, perhaps you hadn't gone to: Windows
    Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Show Hidden File and Uncheck Hide
    Protected Operating System Files.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "JohnnyJomp" <JohnnyJomp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there:
    > After buying a new hard drive, formatting it, and installing XP Pro, I
    > noticed that my old hard drive, as well as my new one, have folders called
    > System Volume Information.
    > I had not noticed this before. Even after I formatted the old hard drive,
    > the folder is still there.
    > Should it be on both drives? Should I delete one or the other? If so, how?
    > If formatting does not get rid of it, I can't imagie what will.
    > Thanks for any tips...
    > John

    The System Volume Information folder is a hidden system folder that the
    System Restore tool uses to store its information and restore points.
    There is a System Volume Information folder on every partition on your
    computer.
    Ref:-'How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder'
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    JohnnyJomp wrote:

    > Hi there:
    > After buying a new hard drive, formatting it, and installing XP Pro, I
    > noticed that my old hard drive, as well as my new one, have folders called
    > System Volume Information.
    > I had not noticed this before. Even after I formatted the old hard drive,
    > the folder is still there.
    > Should it be on both drives? Should I delete one or the other? If so, how?
    > If formatting does not get rid of it, I can't imagie what will.
    > Thanks for any tips...
    > John

Formatting Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP