system volume information

July 7, 2005 1:39:01 AM

Hi there:
After buying a new hard drive, formatting it, and installing XP Pro, I
noticed that my old hard drive, as well as my new one, have folders called
System Volume Information.
I had not noticed this before. Even after I formatted the old hard drive,
the folder is still there.
Should it be on both drives? Should I delete one or the other? If so, how?
If formatting does not get rid of it, I can't imagie what will.
Thanks for any tips...
John
July 7, 2005 3:50:39 AM

These are your system restore points. Don't delete them unless virus and/or
spyware related issues are involved.

As per your not seeing them before, perhaps you hadn't gone to: Windows
Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View/Show Hidden File and Uncheck Hide
Protected Operating System Files.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"JohnnyJomp" <JohnnyJomp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there:
> After buying a new hard drive, formatting it, and installing XP Pro, I
> noticed that my old hard drive, as well as my new one, have folders called
> System Volume Information.
> I had not noticed this before. Even after I formatted the old hard drive,
> the folder is still there.
> Should it be on both drives? Should I delete one or the other? If so, how?
> If formatting does not get rid of it, I can't imagie what will.
> Thanks for any tips...
> John
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 3:58:55 PM

The System Volume Information folder is a hidden system folder that the
System Restore tool uses to store its information and restore points.
There is a System Volume Information folder on every partition on your
computer.
Ref:-'How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder'
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

!