Port Forwarding Help Needed

edg

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004

I'm trying to set up port forwarding on my MN-500 router
in order to remotely view a web cam on my home network
from an external PC but I just don't get it. I basically
want to set it up for the following situation: if the
incoming connection is on port 5003 (or on port 80), then
route it to 192.168.XX.YY (where YY is the final digits
in the IP address of the PC hosting the web cam).

My questions are:
- Do I use Application-Triggered Port Forwarding or
Persistent Port Forwarding?

- In either situation, do I set both the inbound and
outbound ports to 5003 (and 80) or do I need a different
port # for the outbound parameters?

- What Internet address do I use from the remote PC to
access the web cam? Do I use the IP address of the PC
within my home network (192.168.XX.YY)or do I use the IP
address that external web sites see when I'm browsing the
web (67.171.XX.YY), which is the same for all the PCs on
my home network?

Thanks!

App-triggered should work, but not always (it does work for
my web server so probably will work for your web server
camera). It is easier to set up. The port will open
whenever a server app offers the service on the port.

If the app-triggered does not work for your server (just
give it a try first), then set a persistent. You need to
assign a static IP to the PC for this to work even after
you reboot the machine. Set it to for instance to
192.168.2.2, mask 255.255.255.0, DNS and gateway
192.168.2.1. Also set the DHCP start range to 192.168.2.3
on the LAN screen.

Set all four port boxes to the same port number (5003, or
80 for standard HTTP). You would have used different ports,
if the app uses a complex multi-port setup (not for web
servers).

To reach the web cam, use the WAN IP that is shown on the
router home page (the ISP address, 67.171.XX.YY). Old
firmware for the MN500 did not include loopback, so you may
not be able to test the 67.171... address unless you update
the firmware (if you are running the MBNU with
auto-upgrades this should be taken care of).

joker

You need to use persistent port forwarding for something like that.

Application triggered is for when you send on one port & receive a
response on a different port.

SMTP, POP3, & FTP would be three examples of protocols that do that.

lilo wrote:
> App-triggered should work, but not always (it does work for
> my web server so probably will work for your web server
> camera). It is easier to set up. The port will open
> whenever a server app offers the service on the port.
>
> If the app-triggered does not work for your server (just
> give it a try first), then set a persistent. You need to
> assign a static IP to the PC for this to work even after
> you reboot the machine. Set it to for instance to
> 192.168.2.2, mask 255.255.255.0, DNS and gateway
> 192.168.2.1. Also set the DHCP start range to 192.168.2.3
> on the LAN screen.
>
> Set all four port boxes to the same port number (5003, or
> 80 for standard HTTP). You would have used different ports,
> if the app uses a complex multi-port setup (not for web
> servers).
>
> To reach the web cam, use the WAN IP that is shown on the
> router home page (the ISP address, 67.171.XX.YY). Old
> firmware for the MN500 did not include loopback, so you may
> not be able to test the 67.171... address unless you update
> the firmware (if you are running the MBNU with
> auto-upgrades this should be taken care of).

edg

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004

Thanks guys. I'll try this out tonight.

One more Q: will I be able to test if this is working
from a PC within my home LAN? I read somewhere that some
apps require you to access the home PC from outside the
LAN. Or is that the loopback feature Lilo mentioned? I
checked and I do have the latest firmware.

Thx

joker

So long as your firmware version is at least 1.09.* you have loop back
support. Just use the WAN IP address listed in the router.