How do I get the Inform port of Deadline?

peter

I've found the port on the IF archive and I've read through the html
instructions on how to compile it but it's too technical for me. I realise
that this may baffle many of you because to you it is very simple but to me
it's too difficult. Would anyone be able to point me to a copy of the
finished product? I do have a copy of the game on the Lost Treasures CD.

Thanks,
Peter.
Remove unreal to email me.

"Peter" <dacelogunreal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've found the port on the IF archive and I've read through the html
> instructions on how to compile it but it's too technical for me. I realise
> that this may baffle many of you because to you it is very simple but to
> me
> it's too difficult. Would anyone be able to point me to a copy of the
> finished product? I do have a copy of the game on the Lost Treasures CD.

I've built a copy for you here:
http://www.firthworks.com/roger/downloads/deadline.zip

Cheers, Roger
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
You'll find all my IF pages at http://www.firthworks.com/roger

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:50:17 +0100, "Roger Firth"
<roger@firthworks.com> wrote:

>"Peter" <dacelogunreal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've found the port on the IF archive and I've read through the html
>> instructions on how to compile it but it's too technical for me. I realise
>> that this may baffle many of you because to you it is very simple but to
>> me
>> it's too difficult. Would anyone be able to point me to a copy of the
>> finished product? I do have a copy of the game on the Lost Treasures CD.
>
>I've built a copy for you here:
>http://www.firthworks.com/roger/downloads/deadline.zip
>
>Cheers, Roger
How is the inform port different from the original game? Better
parser?

"Boluc Papuccuoglu" <bolucPERIODpapuccuoglu@REMOVETHISaknet.com.tr> wrote in
message news:eek:fppm0phu9sn106jb9trd00s074i5ngf2t@4ax.com...

> How is the inform port different from the original game? Better
> parser?

I've no idea -- it's Volker Lanz's port; all I've done is build it
for the OP. There's some porting notes included with the source.

Cheers, Roger
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"Roger Firth" <roger@firthworks.com> wrote in message
> "Peter" <dacelogunreal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've found the port on the IF archive and I've read through the html
> > instructions on how to compile it but it's too technical for me. I
realise
> > that this may baffle many of you because to you it is very simple but to
> > me
> > it's too difficult. Would anyone be able to point me to a copy of the
> > finished product? I do have a copy of the game on the Lost Treasures CD.
>
> I've built a copy for you here:
> http://www.firthworks.com/roger/downloads/deadline.zip
>
> Cheers, Roger
> --
> /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
> You'll find all my IF pages at http://www.firthworks.com/roger

Many thanks,
Peter.

peter

"Boluc Papuccuoglu" <bolucPERIODpapuccuoglu@REMOVETHISaknet.com.tr> wrote in
message news:eek:fppm0phu9sn106jb9trd00s074i5ngf2t@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:50:17 +0100, "Roger Firth"
> <roger@firthworks.com> wrote:
>
> >"Peter" <dacelogunreal@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I've found the port on the IF archive and I've read through the html
> >> instructions on how to compile it but it's too technical for me. I
realise
> >> that this may baffle many of you because to you it is very simple but
> >> me
> >> it's too difficult. Would anyone be able to point me to a copy of the
> >> finished product? I do have a copy of the game on the Lost Treasures
CD.

> >I've built a copy for you here:
> >http://www.firthworks.com/roger/downloads/deadline.zip
> >
> >Cheers, Roger
> How is the inform port different from the original game? Better
> parser?

I don't understand the technical details but I think he tried to make the
game as close to the original as possible as a technical exercise in the use
of Inform.

Here are some comments from the html file that comes with the source code:-

"Differences between the original and the Inform port

Probably a whole lot of 'em. The game is complete, however. And, as far as I
can tell, it's free of major flaws and bugs. But it has not undergone any
serious testing, so please don't be too surprised if you come upon a bug or
two. Just tell me, if you like.

Some things also differ because they were a little... unclear in the
original and I more or less had to guess what Marc Blank had in mind back in
1982. Following NPCs, for instance, wasn't really done that elegantly in
Infocom's ZIL version.

A few minor features of the original DEADLINE are missing; see the top of
deadline.inf for a list of these.

This port is, by the way, based on DEADLINE 27.851005."

The 851005 is a typo for 831005 I guess.

Regards,
Peter.