High Pitched sound issue

Lavelia

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 (yes I know, rather old) and its just started recently making a very high pitched whining noise. And by high pitched I mean like not QUITE dog whistle high but you get my meaning (I hope).

I can't tell where the sound is coming from but it's only just started doing it in the last couple weeks. I could use any suggestions as to what it could be and possible solution suggestions as well. I love my pc and, well, if its fixable (resonably priced fix) I'd rather do that than just junk it since it's served me very well for a good long while.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and possible diagnostics!

Lavelia

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Thanks for replying web ninja and yeah I checked the fan. Its working great. There's nothing rubbing and I clean it regularly to ensure it remains in good working condition since getting another one of its type is getting more and more difficult.

The sound is constant and similar to how a monitor that needs degousing (CRT) sounds, just a bit higher. lol I know it's NOT the monitor because I've tried degousing it and the sound hasn't gone away. When the desktop is running (and I use it pretty much every day in some capacity or another) I have to have music going or the television running just to cover the sound enough to bear it.

When it started it was off and on and much less noticible but now it's just UGH ya know?

TRENDING THREADS