Norton Antivirus 2005 cannot load on WinXP/Pro for restric..

I used to run my computer using the restricted user login
(non-administrator). If I used the regular user to login, Norton
Antivirus 2005 (from Norton Internet Security 2005 Spyware edition),
did not load. It attempted to re-install. Also, I got script error.
However, I granted this regular user the administrator right, I had no
problem.

Contacted Symantec technical support, useless. They asked me to
uninstall Microsoft Security patch. I cannot accept that solution.

Anyone have suggestion ?
Thanks.
More about norton antivirus 2005 load winxp restric

    Hi,

    Add "read and execute" permissions for that user account to the folder
    permissions for the installation folder. Symantec should know better, Norton
    would have.

    To change permissions, you must be logged on as administrator and have
    access to the security tab of the folder properties. This is hidden by
    default. In WinXP Pro, you must disable 'simple file sharing' on the view
    tab of folder options. In WinXP Home you must restart in Safe mode and logon
    as administrator (this account is not available in normal mode).

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    <viet@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
    >I used to run my computer using the restricted user login
    > (non-administrator). If I used the regular user to login, Norton
    > Antivirus 2005 (from Norton Internet Security 2005 Spyware edition),
    > did not load. It attempted to re-install. Also, I got script error.
    > However, I granted this regular user the administrator right, I had no
    > problem.
    >
    > Contacted Symantec technical support, useless. They asked me to
    > uninstall Microsoft Security patch. I cannot accept that solution.
    >
    > Anyone have suggestion ?
    > Thanks.

    I could not change the permission of "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet
    Security\Norton AntiVirus" by right-click on that folder and select the
    properties. Nothing happen. I expected there is properties windows
    appear.

    Do we have another way ? Can we change folder permission by command
    line.

    BTW, I installed from CD which I purchased from Costco over July 4.
    After all rebates, it cost me only $5.00. But, I spent more than 20
    hours to troubleshoot this problem. What's a cheap software!

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Add "read and execute" permissions for that user account to the folder
    > permissions for the installation folder. Symantec should know better, Norton
    > would have.
    >
    > To change permissions, you must be logged on as administrator and have
    > access to the security tab of the folder properties. This is hidden by
    > default. In WinXP Pro, you must disable 'simple file sharing' on the view
    > tab of folder options. In WinXP Home you must restart in Safe mode and logon
    > as administrator (this account is not available in normal mode).
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > <viet@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I used to run my computer using the restricted user login
    > > (non-administrator). If I used the regular user to login, Norton
    > > Antivirus 2005 (from Norton Internet Security 2005 Spyware edition),
    > > did not load. It attempted to re-install. Also, I got script error.
    > > However, I granted this regular user the administrator right, I had no
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > Contacted Symantec technical support, useless. They asked me to
    > > uninstall Microsoft Security patch. I cannot accept that solution.
    > >
    > > Anyone have suggestion ?
    > > Thanks.

    Hi,

    Start/run cmd, then run cacls /? for the command line parameters.

    --

    >I could not change the permission of "C:\Program Files\Norton Internet
    > Security\Norton AntiVirus" by right-click on that folder and select the
    > properties. Nothing happen. I expected there is properties windows
    > appear.
    >
    > Do we have another way ? Can we change folder permission by command
    > line.
    >
    > BTW, I installed from CD which I purchased from Costco over July 4.
    > After all rebates, it cost me only $5.00. But, I spent more than 20
    > hours to troubleshoot this problem. What's a cheap software!
    >
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Add "read and execute" permissions for that user account to the folder
    >> permissions for the installation folder. Symantec should know better,
    >> Norton
    >> would have.
    >>
    >> To change permissions, you must be logged on as administrator and have
    >> access to the security tab of the folder properties. This is hidden by
    >> default. In WinXP Pro, you must disable 'simple file sharing' on the view
    >> tab of folder options. In WinXP Home you must restart in Safe mode and
    >> logon
    >> as administrator (this account is not available in normal mode).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> <viet@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I used to run my computer using the restricted user login
    >> > (non-administrator). If I used the regular user to login, Norton
    >> > Antivirus 2005 (from Norton Internet Security 2005 Spyware edition),
    >> > did not load. It attempted to re-install. Also, I got script error.
    >> > However, I granted this regular user the administrator right, I had no
    >> > problem.
    >> >
    >> > Contacted Symantec technical support, useless. They asked me to
    >> > uninstall Microsoft Security patch. I cannot accept that solution.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone have suggestion ?
    >> > Thanks.

Norton Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP