How to change the windows 7 splash screen / lock screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a quick guide to customize the windows 7 startup screen.

click start type regedit and hit enter
right click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and select find
type OEMBackground and hit enter
(the path should be Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background )
(if it is not there you need to create it*right click on background and select new DWORD name it OEMBackground set it from 0 to 1)
double left click on OEMBackground and change the value from 0 to 1
click start and type %windir%\system32\oobe
in the oobe folder create a folder named info
in that folder create a folder named backgrounds

now rename your picture that you want displayed durning logon/lock screen backgroundDefault.jpg

everything is case sensitive so if you have to copy and paste the names. the picture needs to be under 244kb.

trick to get a picture under the 244kb
right click on the picture and select open with > select paint
press ctrl+w
this will bring up a box under horizontal and vertical select the amount you want to reduce the picture in %

=)

G

I've tried this over and over after my new installation and i'm having no luck its still the default.

it is very sensitive make sure the pictures size is below the 244kb max and that the spelling is exactly correct, if you have to cut and paste
the image you want displayed should end up in
c:\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds
the image name should be backgroundDefault.jpg
and the image needs to be a .jpg

chuck51003

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

sorry to say this does not work at all randini as the properties of all of theses files are unchangeable from even an administrative perspective. when microsoft made these files they made sure the were not modifyable by the end user in any way as i personally have tried the methods you listed above and every concievable variation of them as well think that maybe your workaround would work but in the end it does not work in win 7 ultimate in any way so if anyone else stubbles across this string dont waste your time tring this because it does not work so dont waste your time.

Sorry you have trouble following directions,

http://imgur.com/aFuJW6h,px4Zh1C

http://imgur.com/aFuJW6h,px4Zh1C

if you followed the directions, you don't have to modify any files, you are creating a new location for the files, as if it were an oem install. any one who has purchased a new dell or Lenovo has seen that they modify this and have a custom lock screen.

sep2674

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

Korey David

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
It works when you do it properly.
As for the image size, if you have any image editing Adobe programs on your computer, I suggest using one of those instead.
During the saving process, it will pop up a dialog box and ask you the quality of the image you would prefer, and tells you how large the file size is going to be. It's accurate within a couple of kilobytes.

Thanks for this, I've been wanting to do this for a while now.

chadb4184

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

aprilb has got it! The process does work, the only real snag is you have to have admin rights to your computer or you at least have to be able to take ownership of the system32\oobe file.

Dave Ward

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Works like a charm! But I had to add, on my Samsung S3511, the original OEM image was called BACKGROUNDDEFAULT, so your suggestion of backgroundDefault.jpg wasn't picked up. Make sure you have a look to see exactly what the original file is called in oobe, and rename your desired image to the same.

jhayron22

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
1.) First you must uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" in the "Folder and search options". Go to my computer and left click on "Organize". Scroll down to "Folder and search options" to open "Folder Options". Uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types". Close the window.

2.) Open the registry editor by left clicking the windows Icon in the lower left corner of the screen. In the search pane type "regedit" and hit enter.

3.) Navigate to the following registry location;

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background)

NOTE: Most tutorials for this state that the appropriate file to change in the registry is under "HKLM_LOCAL_MACHINE". My system does not have the HKLM registry but has the HKEY registry listings. Just change the appropriate file that is in your system.

You will find at least one entry here. "(Default) REG_SZ 0". There may be another named "OEMBackground REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)" or simaler. If this file is set to (0) instead of (1) then it needs to be changed to (1). To change the count number to (1) right click on the OEMBackground entry and select "Modify Bionary Data" and chang the number in ()'s to 1.

If the OEMBackground registry listing is not there then you must create it. To do this right click anywhere inside the window, other than an entry, and a drop down menu titled "NEW" will appear. Place your pointer over this and another will appear bellow it. Left click on "DWORD (32-bit) VALUE" to open up a creation window. Change the name of this file to "OEMBackground" and hit enter. Then follow the above steps to change the numeric data value in the ()'s to 1. Do not worry because this file can be deleated if you do not like the outcome.

You are done with Registry Editor so you can close it now.

4.) Go to my computer and navigate to the following file.

"C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds"

NOTE: If you had to create the OEMBackground registry entry then you will need to create the following files one inside the other.

If you had to create the OEMBackground registry entry then; In the "C:\Windows\Systems32\oobe" location right click in the window and select new folder from the drop down menu and name it "info". Open the new "info" file and do the same thing to create a new folder and name it "backgrounds". Open the new "backgrounds" folder and then minimize the window. This is where you will put any picture that you wish to use as your new Logon background.

4.) Now you will create the image files that are needed to change the background. You can either save them to a file of your choosing, the desktop or navigate to the backgrounds folder and save them there. All that matters is that they are in the backgrounds folder before this will work.

Note: "The custom image titled "backgroundDefault.jpg"must be a .jpg image that is 256 KB in size or smaller.

You will create two (2) image files to place in the backgrounds folder you created in step 3. One of them will be named backgroundDefault.jpg and the other will be given a name that is the size of your screens resolution. To obtain your screens resolution "right click on your desktop and select "Screne resolution" from the menu that appears and make note of your screnes resolution.

Choose an image that you would like to use for the background and open it using "Paint". From paint you will now create the two (2) picture files that you will place in the "backgrounds" folder.

Picture 1) First click on "file" in the top left of the paint tool bar and select "save as". Then save as "JPEG Picture". Save your image to your "backgrounds" folder, or any other of your choosing, changing the name of the image to "backgroundDefault". You do not need to add the .jpg file extension to the end of the name as paint will add it for you.

Now check the size that paint saved it as by right clicking on the file you saved and selecting properties. If it the file size is less than 256 KB you are good to go. If not you will need to down size your picture until it saves as less than 256 KB. You can do this in paint by selecting resize and resizing by changing the size from 100 to a smaller size. Repeat this step until the file is small enough. (The larger the width and height of your picture are, that is 256 KB or less, the better your logon screen will look.) There are also third party programs that can resize the file for you. Just bing picture compression software and find the program that suits you best.

Picture 2) While you have the image open in paint you will change the file to the screen resolution of your monitor. Remember the resolution you looked up earlier?

Click on resize and change the settings from "Percentage" to "Pixels" and uncheck the "Maintain aspect ratio" check box. Now just type in the size of your monitors screen resolution in the appropriate boxes and save.

Now save the changes to the image but change the name to "background (and the size)". EXAMPLE: "background1680x1050" (My screens resolution). Replace the numbers with your screen resolution.

5.) Make sure that both of these images are in the "backgrounds" folder you created earlier and close it. You are now good to go.

Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete to see your new background screen. If all went well you will be looking at your new background image and have successfully changed your logon background image. If not run back through the steps to look for any errors that may have been made.

Now when you restart your computer the new image will be there at your logon screen.

NOW YOU CAN ENJOY CHANGING THE PICTURE ANY TIME YOU WISH BY CREATING THE IMAGES YOU WISH TO USE AND REPLACING THE ONES THAT ARE CURRENTLY IN THE "backgrounds" FILE WITH YOUR NEW PICTURES.

I hope this works as well for you as it has for me.

Thanks for using this tutorial and make sure to check it as helpful if it works for you.

DanielPavan

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013

My administrative rights allows changes in the registry, but not adding a file in the folder :-(

Is it possible in the registry to point to another folder than the default?

sedona

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Why is it necessary to create two pictures inside the folder? Isn't it sufficient to just have the backgroundDefault.jpg? I found that the second picture background1920x1080 (my screen resolution) won't be picked up, only the backgroundDefault.jpg is recognized.

Clam

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
So my lock screen was changed to a photo because I followed the directions. But all of the sudden it changed back to the default screen lock and wont let me change it back, no matter how many times I do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.