Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Newbie needs help: authoring on Mac OS X

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 4:11:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Hi, my name is Ron, and I'm a newbie.

After playing a few different IFs, I now want to try making one of my
own. I went to TADS.org, and their download page sent me to the
if-archive, where I downloaded 2 different TADS compilers, one for OS
X, the other for MacOS. Neither work.

I tried sending an email to the maintainer of the OSX version, but it
bounced back. So I'm here.

The compiler throws the error:

dyld: tadsc can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap

Is there a working version of TADS for OSX somewhere? If not, how do
I fix this?

Very Sincerely,
- Ron

More about : newbie authoring mac

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 11:49:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Ron Newcomb wrote:

> dyld: tadsc can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
> file or directory, errno = 2)
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> Is there a working version of TADS for OSX somewhere? If not, how do
> I fix this?
>
> Very Sincerely,
> - Ron

Hey, Ron, and welcome. First of all, most people use this newsgroup for
talking about _playing_ games; conversations about writing them are
found on rec.arts.int-fiction.
Okay. This version of tads was apparently compiled with fink installed.
fink is a system for installing common Unix software on Mac OS X, but
I'm guessing you don't have it. Judging from the readme, I don't think
the maintainer of this package intended you to require fink, but since I
already have it installed, I can't help you much with troubleshooting that.
I suggest you try the other MacOS link,
http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/programming/tads2/e...
It's a Classic application, but it should work out of the box for you.
Best of luck to you!

Jon
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 2:08:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

pscion@yahoo.com (Ron Newcomb) wrote in message news:<4e5b4ddb.0410142311.5d35c8eb@posting.google.com>...
>
> dyld: tadsc can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
> file or directory, errno = 2)
> Trace/BPT trap
>

Sounds like you need to install the ncurses library. Afriad I can't
help you doing that on OSX though, you should be able to compile the
source from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ncurses/ I don't know where
precompiled packages for OSX could be found.

--
http://www.mikeasoft.com
Related resources
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 5:13:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Michael Sheldon wrote:

> pscion@yahoo.com (Ron Newcomb) wrote in message news:<4e5b4ddb.0410142311.5d35c8eb@posting.google.com>...
>
>>dyld: tadsc can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
>>file or directory, errno = 2)
>>Trace/BPT trap
>>
>
>
> Sounds like you need to install the ncurses library. Afriad I can't
> help you doing that on OSX though, you should be able to compile the
> source from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ncurses/ I don't know where
> precompiled packages for OSX could be found.
>
> --
> http://www.mikeasoft.com

Well, the library in question is part of the fink project
(fink.sourceforge.net), as indicated by the /sw prefix. I do recommend
the fink project to any Mac OS X user, but it is a little complicated to
install and so Ron may be more easily satisfied by using the Mac Classic
TADS versions.

Jon
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 8:54:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

> > Sounds like you need to install the ncurses library. Afriad I can't
> > help you doing that on OSX though, you should be able to compile the
> > source from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ncurses/ I don't know where
> > precompiled packages for OSX could be found.
> Well, the library in question is part of the fink project
> (fink.sourceforge.net), as indicated by the /sw prefix. I do recommend
> the fink project to any Mac OS X user, but it is a little complicated to
> install and so Ron may be more easily satisfied by using the Mac Classic
> TADS versions.


I've never heard of Fink, and I'm surprised that TADS doesn't come
with all the files it needs to run. Especially if it's only one measly
file.

As I said, I tried the classic MacOS TADS, but it didn't run either.
Matter of fact, it just locks up with half-painted windows on the
screen.

I'll try compiling from the link above (thanks), but generally UNIX
apps won't compile on OSX just because, like TADS, none of them come
with what they need to compile. Besides, I bought the Mac so I would
never have to fiddle with these UNIX-type problems.

Sorry about the posting to the wrong newsgroup; I wasn't aware. If
it's still broken I'll come back.
:) 

Thanks, all
- Ron
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 12:31:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

pscion@yahoo.com (Ron Newcomb) wrote in message news:
<4e5b4ddb.0410151554.13dddcd8@posting.google.com>...
<< As I said, I tried the classic MacOS TADS, but it
didn't run either. Matter of fact, it just locks up
with half-painted windows on the screen. >>

Are you trying the one at the IF-Archive? If so, you
might want to try either of the versions at ...

http://www.umbar.com/MacTADS/
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 12:35:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Ron Newcomb wrote:
>
> I've never heard of Fink, and I'm surprised that TADS doesn't
> come with all the files it needs to run. Especially if it's only
> one measly file.

I would be surprised if it did. Imagine a Windows game that includes a
Windows XP CD in its package because "it needs Windows XP to run."
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 12:35:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Here, Nikos Chantziaras <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> Ron Newcomb wrote:
> >
> > I've never heard of Fink, and I'm surprised that TADS doesn't
> > come with all the files it needs to run. Especially if it's only
> > one measly file.
>
> I would be surprised if it did. Imagine a Windows game that includes a
> Windows XP CD in its package because "it needs Windows XP to run."

Bad analogy. This file (the Fink ncurses package) does not come
standard with OSX; it's not supported by Apple in any way. Some
Unix-happy Mac users have installed it -- including me -- but that set
does not include all IF authors with Macs.

The pre-compiled TADS for Mac should not link this library.

--Z

"And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these were the borogoves..."
*
* Make your vote count. Get your vote counted.
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 6:41:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

In article <4e5b4ddb.0410142311.5d35c8eb@posting.google.com>,
Ron Newcomb <pscion@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi, my name is Ron, and I'm a newbie.

btw, as I mentioned in email, rec.arts.int-fiction is actually the place
to talk about writing games..

>The compiler throws the error:
>
>dyld: tadsc can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
>file or directory, errno = 2)
>Trace/BPT trap

actually I presume it's the linker complaining.

>Is there a working version of TADS for OSX somewhere? If not, how do
>I fix this?

I think you can simply remove any references to libncurses in the
project/makefile/whatever actually builds it.

AFAIR, you automagically link to System.framework, which has curses or
ncurses in it. If that doesn't work, then other solutions would be needed.
!