Newbie needs help: authoring on Mac OS X

Hi, my name is Ron, and I'm a newbie.

After playing a few different IFs, I now want to try making one of my
own. I went to TADS.org, and their download page sent me to the
if-archive, where I downloaded 2 different TADS compilers, one for OS
X, the other for MacOS. Neither work.

I tried sending an email to the maintainer of the OSX version, but it
bounced back. So I'm here.

The compiler throws the error:

dyld: tadsc can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap

Is there a working version of TADS for OSX somewhere? If not, how do
I fix this?

Very Sincerely,
- Ron
8 answers Last reply
More about newbie help authoring
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Ron Newcomb wrote:

    > dyld: tadsc can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
    > file or directory, errno = 2)
    > Trace/BPT trap
    >
    > Is there a working version of TADS for OSX somewhere? If not, how do
    > I fix this?
    >
    > Very Sincerely,
    > - Ron

    Hey, Ron, and welcome. First of all, most people use this newsgroup for
    talking about _playing_ games; conversations about writing them are
    found on rec.arts.int-fiction.
    Okay. This version of tads was apparently compiled with fink installed.
    fink is a system for installing common Unix software on Mac OS X, but
    I'm guessing you don't have it. Judging from the readme, I don't think
    the maintainer of this package intended you to require fink, but since I
    already have it installed, I can't help you much with troubleshooting that.
    I suggest you try the other MacOS link,
    http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/programming/tads2/executables/tads240_macos.sit
    It's a Classic application, but it should work out of the box for you.
    Best of luck to you!

    Jon
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    pscion@yahoo.com (Ron Newcomb) wrote in message news:<4e5b4ddb.0410142311.5d35c8eb@posting.google.com>...

    > dyld: tadsc can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
    > file or directory, errno = 2)
    > Trace/BPT trap

    Sounds like you need to install the ncurses library. Afriad I can't
    help you doing that on OSX though, you should be able to compile the
    source from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ncurses/ I don't know where
    precompiled packages for OSX could be found.

    --
    http://www.mikeasoft.com
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Michael Sheldon wrote:

    > pscion@yahoo.com (Ron Newcomb) wrote in message news:<4e5b4ddb.0410142311.5d35c8eb@posting.google.com>...
    >
    >>dyld: tadsc can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
    >>file or directory, errno = 2)
    >>Trace/BPT trap
    >>

    > Sounds like you need to install the ncurses library. Afriad I can't
    > help you doing that on OSX though, you should be able to compile the
    > source from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ncurses/ I don't know where
    > precompiled packages for OSX could be found.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.mikeasoft.com

    Well, the library in question is part of the fink project
    (fink.sourceforge.net), as indicated by the /sw prefix. I do recommend
    the fink project to any Mac OS X user, but it is a little complicated to
    install and so Ron may be more easily satisfied by using the Mac Classic
    TADS versions.

    Jon
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    > > Sounds like you need to install the ncurses library. Afriad I can't
    > > help you doing that on OSX though, you should be able to compile the
    > > source from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ncurses/ I don't know where
    > > precompiled packages for OSX could be found.
    > Well, the library in question is part of the fink project
    > (fink.sourceforge.net), as indicated by the /sw prefix. I do recommend
    > the fink project to any Mac OS X user, but it is a little complicated to
    > install and so Ron may be more easily satisfied by using the Mac Classic
    > TADS versions.

    I've never heard of Fink, and I'm surprised that TADS doesn't come
    with all the files it needs to run. Especially if it's only one measly
    file.

    As I said, I tried the classic MacOS TADS, but it didn't run either.
    Matter of fact, it just locks up with half-painted windows on the
    screen.

    I'll try compiling from the link above (thanks), but generally UNIX
    apps won't compile on OSX just because, like TADS, none of them come
    with what they need to compile. Besides, I bought the Mac so I would
    never have to fiddle with these UNIX-type problems.

    Sorry about the posting to the wrong newsgroup; I wasn't aware. If
    it's still broken I'll come back.
    :)

    Thanks, all
    - Ron
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    pscion@yahoo.com (Ron Newcomb) wrote in message news:
    <4e5b4ddb.0410151554.13dddcd8@posting.google.com>...
    << As I said, I tried the classic MacOS TADS, but it
    didn't run either. Matter of fact, it just locks up
    with half-painted windows on the screen. >>

    Are you trying the one at the IF-Archive? If so, you
    might want to try either of the versions at ...

    http://www.umbar.com/MacTADS/
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Ron Newcomb wrote:

    > I've never heard of Fink, and I'm surprised that TADS doesn't
    > come with all the files it needs to run. Especially if it's only
    > one measly file.

    I would be surprised if it did. Imagine a Windows game that includes a
    Windows XP CD in its package because "it needs Windows XP to run."
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Here, Nikos Chantziaras <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    > Ron Newcomb wrote:
    > >
    > > I've never heard of Fink, and I'm surprised that TADS doesn't
    > > come with all the files it needs to run. Especially if it's only
    > > one measly file.
    >
    > I would be surprised if it did. Imagine a Windows game that includes a
    > Windows XP CD in its package because "it needs Windows XP to run."

    Bad analogy. This file (the Fink ncurses package) does not come
    standard with OSX; it's not supported by Apple in any way. Some
    Unix-happy Mac users have installed it -- including me -- but that set
    does not include all IF authors with Macs.

    The pre-compiled TADS for Mac should not link this library.

    --Z

    *
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    In article <4e5b4ddb.0410142311.5d35c8eb@posting.google.com>,
    Ron Newcomb <pscion@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Hi, my name is Ron, and I'm a newbie.

    btw, as I mentioned in email, rec.arts.int-fiction is actually the place
    to talk about writing games..

    >The compiler throws the error:
    >
    >dyld: tadsc can't open library: /sw/lib/libncurses.dylib.5 (No such
    >file or directory, errno = 2)
    >Trace/BPT trap

    actually I presume it's the linker complaining.

    >Is there a working version of TADS for OSX somewhere? If not, how do
    >I fix this?

    I think you can simply remove any references to libncurses in the
    project/makefile/whatever actually builds it.

    AFAIR, you automagically link to System.framework, which has curses or
    ncurses in it. If that doesn't work, then other solutions would be needed.

Mac Os Video Games