Sign in with
Your question

How do I get original Windows XP FreeCell to replace Windows 7 version?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Windows XP
  • Product
Last response: in Windows 7
September 6, 2012 8:27:05 PM

I detest FreeCell on Windows 7. How do I install Windows XP version? :ange:  :sweat: 

More about : original windows freecell replace windows version

a c 212 $ Windows 7
September 6, 2012 8:37:25 PM

you can't.
m
l
September 6, 2012 9:24:40 PM

Thanks, I shall return my new ASUS to best Buy for a refund.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 6, 2012 9:46:55 PM

or if you have a pc or laptop with xp on it you might be able to copy it off that then run it in Win7, just search for freecell within the c:\windows folder and copy them to a thumb drive then just run them from that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 6, 2012 9:47:00 PM

If you have Win7ultimate you might be able to copy it from the xp compatibility modes virtual machine to your pc hard drive or run just the xp compatibility with freecell running in it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2012 12:00:00 AM

zimexlady said:
Thanks, I shall return my new ASUS to best Buy for a refund.

Hi :) 

I would absolutely LOVE it if you posted their response , when you tell them why....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 212 $ Windows 7
September 7, 2012 12:08:01 AM

So, you buy a few hundreds dollars laptop to play freecell.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2012 12:28:14 AM

I'll trade you my 5 year old laptop with XP, for your new laptop with Windows 7. I'll even put an icon on the desktop for freecell.
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:29:55 AM

ss202sl said:
I'll trade you my 5 year old laptop with XP, for your new laptop with Windows 7. I'll even put an icon on the desktop for freecell.

It is a model 701, purchased in 2008. The silver bar on the touchpad and the drag feature required in that version FreeCell quit workimg......so, yours likely will too! Thanks, though. Best Buy tells me the motherboard must be replaced @ $200-300. That is why I bought a new one, model 1025C, only to be disappointed with the lousy version of Windows 7.
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:32:55 AM

rgd1101 said:
So, you buy a few hundreds dollars laptop to play freecell.

Yes, and will buy another just to get the XP FreeCell. Of my three computers, that ASUS has the best version. :bounce:  When one is obsessed with FreeCell for traveling, it is more important than my luggage and worth the price. I would travel with no luggage if I had to make a choice.
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:37:02 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I would absolutely LOVE it if you posted their response , when you tell them why....

All the best Brett :) 

OK, Brett. .........will do!
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:53:47 AM

subasteve5800 said:
May I suggest a cheaper alternative?

Also, you can buy a new touchpad for your old Asus 701 for about $25.

I saw those ads and thought it an excellent solution but Best Buy refuses any solution but a new motherboard. Why can't I bypass the present touchpad with a USB roller ball? Would I be able to click and drag?
m
l
September 7, 2012 11:20:26 AM

Best buy is rarely a source of good information or good prices. If you added a USB mouse or trackball, you'd by able to click and drag again with no issues.

You could also find a local repair shop and ask them to take a look at it instead. I have a hard time believing that not being able to click and drag requires replacing the motherboard.
m
l
September 7, 2012 3:26:24 PM

Thank you, subasteve5800. My thoughts exactly. I am going to order a track ball and make a test run on my old ASUS and will keep you posted. Years ago, I bought a Compaq at Best Buy, someone had probably returned it because the restore discs had Sharpie notations handwritten on all three. I think they take returns, place them on sale without examining the returned product. That Compaq never did run without problems. I was not in a position to return it. Hope I have learned the same lesson TWICE!
m
l
September 7, 2012 7:01:35 PM

ATTN BRETT and substeve5800.
Best Buy refunded my money when the tech turned on the unit to see what I meant about the tiny FreeCell and it would not power up.....faulty battery! I stopped at Staples , bought a compact Trace Mouse, plugged it into my OLD ASUS and am now happily playing the XP version of FreeCell. The answer was right in front of my nose all along by bypassing the broken touch pad with a track mouse! Often, I try too hard to fix a simple problem. Saved $400 with a $21 mouse!
Thanks to everyone who offered solutions.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2012 7:07:25 PM

Um... If you have a new computer you could always just buy an old copy of winXP and install it. Most things should work just fine.
m
l
September 7, 2012 7:14:27 PM

Her old computer worked just fine (except for the trackpad). A $21 mouse seems like a good way to fix the issue.

I personally dislike trackpads anyway.
m
l
September 7, 2012 8:21:55 PM

CaedenV said:
Um... If you have a new computer you could always just buy an old copy of winXP and install it. Most things should work just fine.

Thanks, your info might be valuable in the future. Is winXP available as a downloadable or a CD? The ASUS has no cd slot. I see it runs near $100.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2012 1:30:42 AM

XP would be on CD, but there are ways to do a USB install.

Make sure you can find drivers before jumping onto a new platform, and make sure that you have a way to restore the original factory image before messing it all up. Manufacturers may void your warranty if you send in hardware for repair and they see you have installed something they don't approve of (like a 12 year old OS)
m
l
!