How do I get original Windows XP FreeCell to replace Windows 7 version?

hairystuff

Distinguished
or if you have a pc or laptop with xp on it you might be able to copy it off that then run it in Win7, just search for freecell within the c:\windows folder and copy them to a thumb drive then just run them from that.

zimexlady

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

It is a model 701, purchased in 2008. The silver bar on the touchpad and the drag feature required in that version FreeCell quit workimg......so, yours likely will too! Thanks, though. Best Buy tells me the motherboard must be replaced @ $200-300. That is why I bought a new one, model 1025C, only to be disappointed with the lousy version of Windows 7.

zimexlady

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Yes, and will buy another just to get the XP FreeCell. Of my three computers, that ASUS has the best version. :bounce: When one is obsessed with FreeCell for traveling, it is more important than my luggage and worth the price. I would travel with no luggage if I had to make a choice.

zimexlady

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

I saw those ads and thought it an excellent solution but Best Buy refuses any solution but a new motherboard. Why can't I bypass the present touchpad with a USB roller ball? Would I be able to click and drag?

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Best buy is rarely a source of good information or good prices. If you added a USB mouse or trackball, you'd by able to click and drag again with no issues.

You could also find a local repair shop and ask them to take a look at it instead. I have a hard time believing that not being able to click and drag requires replacing the motherboard.

zimexlady

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Thank you, subasteve5800. My thoughts exactly. I am going to order a track ball and make a test run on my old ASUS and will keep you posted. Years ago, I bought a Compaq at Best Buy, someone had probably returned it because the restore discs had Sharpie notations handwritten on all three. I think they take returns, place them on sale without examining the returned product. That Compaq never did run without problems. I was not in a position to return it. Hope I have learned the same lesson TWICE!

zimexlady

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
ATTN BRETT and substeve5800.
Best Buy refunded my money when the tech turned on the unit to see what I meant about the tiny FreeCell and it would not power up.....faulty battery! I stopped at Staples , bought a compact Trace Mouse, plugged it into my OLD ASUS and am now happily playing the XP version of FreeCell. The answer was right in front of my nose all along by bypassing the broken touch pad with a track mouse! Often, I try too hard to fix a simple problem. Saved $400 with a $21 mouse!
Thanks to everyone who offered solutions.

zimexlady

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

Thanks, your info might be valuable in the future. Is winXP available as a downloadable or a CD? The ASUS has no cd slot. I see it runs near $100.

XP would be on CD, but there are ways to do a USB install.

Make sure you can find drivers before jumping onto a new platform, and make sure that you have a way to restore the original factory image before messing it all up. Manufacturers may void your warranty if you send in hardware for repair and they see you have installed something they don't approve of (like a 12 year old OS)