switch system harddrive - windows wount boot

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • BIOS
  • Servers
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 19, 2004 7:49:01 PM

I have 2 computers at home, one is a server and the other one just an ordinary workstation. I thougt it would be a good idea to upgrade the server by switching harddrives but now im in hell!

The server: PII 400MHz, 128MB SD RAM, 40GB Harddrive, Integrated Graphics.
The workstation: AMD Duron 1,3GHz, 192MB SD RAM, 8GB Harddrive, Riva TNT 2

Ok the problem is that windows woun't start with:

AMD Duron 1,3GHz, 192MB SD RAM, -> 40GB <- Harddrive, Riva TNT 2...

It recognizes the harddrive as a 40gb in bios but when it's going to load windows the computer restarts!? I've upgraded my bios to the latest award from 2004 and even modified my own bios using bios patcher 4.51 and cbrom 2.15 but witout any result. Tried to change some settings in bios but nothing.

i've tried a different harddrive , 80gb, but it just freezes when windows xp is about to load. The only differences between the 8gb and 40 gb is the size and the fact that i had installed Service Pack 2 on the 40gb but only SP 1 on the 8gb, but I can't imagine that would case any problem. But it seems that the bios/CPU or whatever expekts the 8GB to be plugged in to the motherboard because it rejects any outsider harddrive?!? I changed IDE port, IDE cable, SD RAM memory but nothing...Booted up in failsafe mode, didn't help..same thing. Tried to CHKDISK the drive, nothing. I can't imagine that the award bios still have issues with large drives with the current bios from 2004, as i said bios did detect the new drive..but windows wount load and the computer restarts or freezes before win xp logo shows?!

I desperately need help, do i have to format the new disk to be compatible with the new motherboard...that seems strange but something wicked is going on here!

More about : switch system harddrive windows wount boot

September 20, 2004 5:51:34 AM

OMG you broke it! Swaping loaded drives between systems is FORBIDDEN by MS and XP is written NOT to accept it. The ONLY way to fix it without formatting the drives is to do a "repair" instal of XP (don't use the recovery console, pass that to do a full instal and when ask choose "repair").

Now the other problem is SP2, I don't know if it will stick when you do the repair using an SP1 CD. And if it doesn't stick, I don't know if the registry will be corrupt.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 20, 2004 4:04:02 PM

Thanks man. I had no idea, because i have done it in the past without any difficulties...but i guess i was lucky then. Now I have learned it the hard way. Thank you for enlightening me :) 
September 20, 2004 5:03:45 PM

I've gotten away with it by using similar boards with the same chipset, but you're dealing with completely different systems, you'd not about to fool XP this time.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!