XP logon wont accept password

Hi
My Pc wont allow me to logon with a passport anymore . As soon as I try to
type the first letter of the password the PC freezes for a few seconds then
refreshes. I can go in as another user without a password. If i remove the
password then i get access. Even creating a new account with a password wont
allow me access. I have checked the post which says i must check the
hklm-software-windowsnt-winlogon and check the files logonui.exe and
userinit.exe and its fine. An error box appears something about logon
failure ui ( not at the pc now )
Restore was not enabled
Pls help

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about logon wont accept password

    Hi Leon,

    That key has nothing to do with Passport. Check your settings here:

    Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2. Once there:

    Advanced, Manage Passwords. Or, Control Panel, User Accounts, select a user
    then Manage my network passwords.

    You can also check here: Start/Run/Regedit

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MessengerService\ListCache\.NET
    Messenger Service. In the right pane, Identity Name

    Tips:

    Add Control Userpasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

    Disable Storage of .Net Passwords (Line 223) Right hand side

    Added info:

    ..Net Passport Member Services: http://memberservices.passport.net/

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Leon" <leon.la@virgin.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > My Pc wont allow me to logon with a passport anymore . As soon as I try to
    > type the first letter of the password the PC freezes for a few seconds
    > then
    > refreshes. I can go in as another user without a password. If i remove the
    > password then i get access. Even creating a new account with a password
    > wont
    > allow me access. I have checked the post which says i must check the
    > hklm-software-windowsnt-winlogon and check the files logonui.exe and
    > userinit.exe and its fine. An error box appears something about logon
    > failure ui ( not at the pc now )
    > Restore was not enabled
    > Pls help
    >
    > Thanks