RIP IDP?

There doesn't seem to have been any activity at the Infocom
Documentation Project for over a year, and I've not received any replies
to an e-mail enquiry to site maintainer Roger Long. Is IDP dead?

I've completed documentation for Suspended, and am about to embark on
the Enchanter trilogy. I'd like to offer these to the Project, but need
to find out whom I can contact.

Lee Kaiwen,
Taiwan

> I've completed documentation for Suspended, and am about to embark on
> the Enchanter trilogy. I'd like to offer these to the Project, but need
> to find out whom I can contact.

Whoa, don't work on the Enchanter trilogy. I've got those 80% or better
completed. I was working on them much more regularly a couple of years
ago (auggghh!) and still have them almost ready-to-go.

I hope Roger steps up and either hands the project over to someone else,
or lets us know that he's still interested. I understand the problems
associated with this kind of project. It seems so cool, you get some
people to volunteer for a bit (like me) but then the participation cools
off (again, like me).

Your message here has served to prompt me to pull those files out again.
I'll resume working on Enchanter in the hopes that IDP has a future.

--
Rick Reynolds
http://www.rickandviv.net

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:00:58 +0000, samwyse wrote:

> On or about 10/16/2004 8:47 PM, Rick Reynolds did proclaim:
> [...]
>
> Hey, Rick, did you see the "Looking for Rick Reynolds" thread?
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?th=476ea8402ee60c46

No I didn't! But I've responded now. Thanks for the heads-up!
--

Rick Reynolds <rick@rickandviv.net> wrote:

> I hope Roger steps up and either hands the project over to someone else,
> or lets us know that he's still interested. I understand the problems
> associated with this kind of project. It seems so cool, you get some
> people to volunteer for a bit (like me) but then the participation cools
> off (again, like me).

After a lengthy hiatus, I'm ramping up for an update to the Infocom
Gallery at http://infocom.elsewhere.org/gallery/ too. I was going to
write the IDP folks to see if there was a good way to coordinate
overlap between our two projects, but hrm...

(I took over the Gallery from its authors in early 2003, after being
unable to contact one and getting permission from the other, but I
haven't done anything major with it until now.)

Anybody interested in contributing scans of items not currently in the
Gallery? I'll set up a collaborative space if there's more than just
me interested in updating it.

--Josh

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 14:33:24 +0800, Kaiwen <user@example.net> wrote:

>There doesn't seem to have been any activity at the Infocom
>Documentation Project for over a year, and I've not received any replies
>to an e-mail enquiry to site maintainer Roger Long. Is IDP dead?
>
>I've completed documentation for Suspended, and am about to embark on
>the Enchanter trilogy. I'd like to offer these to the Project, but need
>to find out whom I can contact.
>
>Lee Kaiwen,
>Taiwan

No, IDP is not dead. It's just been in a holding pattern for a while. I got
assigned a different area to work in and now I have a 2-3 hour commute
added on top of 9-10 hour work days. Add in unwanted evening naps that make
it hard to go to bed before midnight or 1am, and the end result is that
I've been too tired to do much, including respond to e-mail.

This weekend is allocated to trying to straighten out my sleep schedule,
answering e-mail, and a few other things. I'll include jump-starting IDP in
there as well.