[IFComp04] Gamlet - now what?

Last response: in Video Games
October 17, 2004 7:00:18 AM

*spoilers obviously*

Okay, I'm down in the kitchen.

You have
a yarmulke perched on your head at a dashing tilt
knotted sheets tied around your waist; tucked inside them are
a tiny vase
beloved Yorick, his little head flapping in the speed of your walk with
a corpse's languid wave
a glass funnel
a pair of thick workman's gloves
some notes
a matchbox
a fireplace poker dangling from your side
a yadu with a long and narrow index finger

Not sure what to do now, and the help command seems to have stopped
responding. I ate lots of interesting foods, though. :)

---
Hanako Games
Anime Games and Screensavers To Download
http://www.hanakogames.com/

More about : ifcomp04 gamlet

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 7:00:19 AM

I'm also stuck. You seem to be a lot further than me, though.
I'll ask a question of my own:

*spoiler*

*spoiler*

*spoiler*

What is the "lamp-chimney" good for?

Kevin Venzke
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 7:00:19 AM

Papillon

> *spoilers obviously*
>

> Okay, I'm down in the kitchen.

> You have
> a yarmulke perched on your head at a dashing tilt
> knotted sheets tied around your waist; tucked inside them are
> a tiny vase
> beloved Yorick, his little head flapping in the speed of your walk
with
> a corpse's languid wave
> a glass funnel
> a pair of thick workman's gloves
> some notes
> a matchbox
> a fireplace poker dangling from your side
> a yadu with a long and narrow index finger
>
> Not sure what to do now, and the help command seems to have stopped
> responding. I ate lots of interesting foods, though. :)

Have you opened the mirror in the study?

If you haven't, examine the mural above the fireplace.

Have you been able to eat the morellos on the kitchen table? There's
something inside them that will come in handy later.
October 17, 2004 8:37:48 AM

"Kevin Venzke" <stepjakk@yahooo.frr> wrote:

>I'm also stuck. You seem to be a lot further than me, though.
>I'll ask a question of my own:
>

>*spoiler*
>

>*spoiler*
>

>*spoiler*
>

>What is the "lamp-chimney" good for?

Try to light the lamp in the hallway.

---
Hanako Games
Anime Games and Screensavers To Download
http://www.hanakogames.com/
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 9:11:39 AM

"Tomasz Pudlo" <tomaszp@nycmail.com> wrote in message

> [response snipped]

Authors Rule #5 for the IF Competition reads thus:

"5. Authors of a competition entry may not discuss any of the entries in a
public Internet forum during the voting period, nor may they canvass fora
for votes. Once the competition has begun, do not post your thoughts on your
entry or anyone else's on a newsgroup or bulletin board until the deadline
for voting has passed."

Tomasz, you must not participate in any discussion of any competition game,
yours or others, IN ANY WAY, until the voting period is over. This includes
supplying hints to people who are looking for help here.

--
chris tate
ctate at acm dot org

We'll leave that up to the comp organizer you ____. Christopher Tate
____ and is on my ____ list effective after I eat my eggs and
breakfast bar.

The term 'discuss' in the rules means anything other than helping
players so they can pass judgement. Minor hints in a spoiler proofed
thread hardly compare to someone rallying his game for votes or giving
a lecture on the purpose of his game.

It's people like you that will almost lobby me to start doing the
forementioned immediately becuase( I cant remember u or a after c) I
simply don't give a _____.

A.P. Hill
Gestapo Hunter

P.S. The ____ marks are added becuase someone I admire very much
thought I should limit my vulgarness.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 2:14:32 PM

Papillon wrote:
> *spoilers obviously*
>

> Okay, I'm down in the kitchen.

> You have
> a yarmulke perched on your head at a dashing tilt
> knotted sheets tied around your waist; tucked inside them are
> a tiny vase
> beloved Yorick, his little head flapping in the speed of your walk with
> a corpse's languid wave
> a glass funnel
> a pair of thick workman's gloves
> some notes
> a matchbox
> a fireplace poker dangling from your side
> a yadu with a long and narrow index finger
>
> Not sure what to do now, and the help command seems to have stopped
> responding. I ate lots of interesting foods, though. :)
>

> ---
> Hanako Games
> Anime Games and Screensavers To Download
> http://www.hanakogames.com/

(below)

In this game you have to STUDY (examine) absolutely everything. Also,
read the notes.

Emiliano.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 10:14:59 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 05:11:39 GMT, "Christopher Tate" <ctate@acm.org>
wrote:

>Authors Rule #5 for the IF Competition reads thus:
>
>"5. Authors of a competition entry may not discuss any of the entries in a
>public Internet forum during the voting period, nor may they canvass fora
>for votes. Once the competition has begun, do not post your thoughts on your
>entry or anyone else's on a newsgroup or bulletin board until the deadline
>for voting has passed."
>
>Tomasz, you must not participate in any discussion of any competition game,
>yours or others, IN ANY WAY, until the voting period is over. This includes
>supplying hints to people who are looking for help here.

I'm not sure whether answering hint requests on your game in a public
forum constitutes "posting your thoughts on your entry". There are
rules preventing discussion of entries in a public forum by both
authors and judges and posts re: hint requests have long been
considered ok. On the strength of this, Tomasz's post would not seem
to me to be against the spirit (if not the letter) of rule 5.

But what I think about it is academic. The call here is Stephen
Granade's (and no one else's).

--Steve
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:28:46 AM

*spoilers*

I've managed to eat the morellos, open the mirror in the study, and
read the notes, but now I'm stuck again.

What does "turn owl's head ThReAyHe" mean?

And what do I do with the mirror now that I've opened it? I can't get
down the shaft safely.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:40:31 PM

Aaron Kashtan wrote:
> *spoilers*

> I've managed to eat the morellos, open the mirror in the study, and
> read the notes, but now I'm stuck again.
>
> What does "turn owl's head ThReAyHe" mean?
>
> And what do I do with the mirror now that I've opened it? I can't get
> down the shaft safely.

(below)

This is a study right? So read. But you'd probably need more light...
While you're at it, examine carefully the sources of light. Not the
obvious one.

(more spoilery hints below: but try these first...)

Examine carefully what's on the desk. And read the holy texts.

Emiliano.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 6:27:20 PM

Emiliano Padilha <emilianp@cogscied.ac.uk> wrote:

>Papillon wrote:
>> *spoilers obviously*
>>

>(below)

What do I do up on the ledge? It emphasizes the empty sockets but I can't
seem to put anything in them.

---
Hanako Games
Anime Games and Screensavers To Download
http://www.hanakogames.com/
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 7:01:12 PM

Papillon wrote:
> Emiliano Padilha <emilianp@cogscied.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>>Papillon wrote:
>>
>>>*spoilers obviously*
>>>

>>(below)

> What do I do up on the ledge? It emphasizes the empty sockets but I can't
> seem to put anything in them.

(below)

Examine the clock carefully, and not only superficially.
Emiliano.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 9:43:37 PM

"Tomasz Pudlo" <tomaszp@nycmail.com> writes:

> Papillon
>

> > *spoilers obviously*

There's been some question as to whether Tomasz's post is a hangin'
offense. It's borderline enough that I've issued a warning to Tomasz,
but Gamlet will not be disqualified.

Stephen

--
Stephen Granade
stephen-usenet@granades.com

On 17 Oct 2004 21:28:46 -0700, Sir_Tim_Drake@yahoo.com (Aaron Kashtan)
wrote:

>*spoilers*

>I've managed to eat the morellos, open the mirror in the study, and
>read the notes, but now I'm stuck again.
>
>What does "turn owl's head ThReAyHe" mean?

Trying examining the candlestick for starters.

>And what do I do with the mirror now that I've opened it? I can't get
>down the shaft safely.

Worry about the owl first.
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 8:04:06 PM

"Tomasz Pudlo" <tomaszp@nycmail.com> wrote:
> blah blah blah

Wait -- there's a real Tomasz Pudlo? After reading the ABOUT, I was
convinced that "Tomasz Pudlo" was a pseudonym....

--
Susan Davis <futabachan@yahoo.com>
Anonymous

"Susan Davis" <futabachan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Tomasz Pudlo" <tomaszp@nycmail.com> wrote:
> > blah blah blah
>
> Wait -- there's a real Tomasz Pudlo? After reading the ABOUT, I was
> convinced that "Tomasz Pudlo" was a pseudonym....

Although I do not wish to discuss comp games publicly, let me just aver that
a Usenet post is no proof that someone exists in the real world, and can
certainly be done pseudonymously.

(Okay, I lied -- I *do* wish to discuss some of them publicly, but I'm not
gonna. Yet.)

--
"Daphne" "Brinkerhoff"... or so I'd have you believe.
Anonymous

Since my two hours are definatly up for this game...

(Since the hint system isn't exactly working as well sa it could, either
I'm following the wrong path or there's something that I didn't notice.)

..

..

..

I'm basically stuck in the first part of the game. I have:

1- gotten the sheets and headwear from the bedroom...
2- gotten the hand and attempted to insert the finger into the desk...
3- Gotten the poker and got some sticky stuff on it's end...
4- Gotten the lamp-chimney from the cabinet, and mounted it on the lamp in
the landing...
5- Gotten the glass funnel from the bedroom...
6- Gotten the gloves from the clock...
7- Discovered the mark on the forhead...
8- Discovered the adjustable weights in the clock...

I really don't know what to do next - I could state why, but the rules of
the competition recommend that I don't discuss those reasons on a public
forum.

Also, one question about the scoring system - do I have to commit my rating
to a solid scale of 1 to 10, or am I allowed to use my own personal ranking
system? Personally, I'm finding it's much easier to give fair ratings if I
try splitting them into groups, and sorting the games within those groups
in the order at which I liked them best.

It should be easy to convert my personal format into the 1-10 scase used by
judging. It just involves evenly distributing the ratings so that each
rating will appear 3.5 times...
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 4:47:14 AM

Papillon wrote:
> Emiliano Padilha <emilianp@cogscied.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>>Papillon wrote:
>>
>>>*spoilers obviously*
>>>

>>(below)

> What do I do up on the ledge? It emphasizes the empty sockets but I can't
> seem to put anything in them.

Where is the ledge? I think I have what is needed for that puzzle, but
I haven't found the location.
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 11:59:04 PM

Greg Cooksey wrote:

> Where is the ledge? I think I have what is needed for that puzzle, but
> I haven't found the location.

Where are you exactly? Have you found the shaft?
Emiliano.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 12:18:43 AM

Hi,

Not responding to any particular post, but this game does include a
'walkthrough' command. The output includes all the commands necessary
to figure out what to do, as well as those which actually affect game
state, so you should be able to unstick yourself without spoiling
later parts by reading down the list one-by-one.

--
Marshall T. Vandegrift <llasram@wuli.nu>

Kublai: We have proved that if we were here, we
would not be.
Polo: And here, in fact, we are.
-- Italo Calvino, /Invisible Cities/
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 3:16:47 AM

I'm now stuck about where Greg is, I think. I've gotten the item from
the clock. I've also entered the cave and received a hint that I need
to do what Joshua did before the walls of Jericho. I assume that means
I have to blow some sort of trumpet, but there is none to be found.
Would someone please explain what I have to do in the cave? Thanks.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 4:53:41 AM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:24:05 -0400, bk039@freenet.carleton.ca (Raymond
Martineau) wrote:

>Since my two hours are definatly up for this game...
>
>(Since the hint system isn't exactly working as well sa it could, either
>I'm following the wrong path or there's something that I didn't notice.)

>.
>
>.
>
>.
>
>I'm basically stuck in the first part of the game. I have:
>
>1- gotten the sheets and headwear from the bedroom...
>2- gotten the hand and attempted to insert the finger into the desk...
>3- Gotten the poker and got some sticky stuff on it's end...
>4- Gotten the lamp-chimney from the cabinet, and mounted it on the lamp in
>the landing...
>5- Gotten the glass funnel from the bedroom...
>6- Gotten the gloves from the clock...
>7- Discovered the mark on the forhead...
>8- Discovered the adjustable weights in the clock...
>
>I really don't know what to do next

(More space)

Your easiest way forward would be to:

1) Closely examine the carvings on the desk in the study; & then

2) Read some of the ancient texts.

>Also, one question about the scoring system - do I have to commit my rating
>to a solid scale of 1 to 10, or am I allowed to use my own personal ranking
>system? Personally, I'm finding it's much easier to give fair ratings if I
>try splitting them into groups, and sorting the games within those groups
>in the order at which I liked them best.
>
>It should be easy to convert my personal format into the 1-10 scase used by
>judging. It just involves evenly distributing the ratings so that each
>rating will appear 3.5 times...

You can do whatever works for you, as long as your submitted ratings
are integers in the range from 1 to 10.

--Steve
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 2:11:37 PM

Aaron Kashtan wrote:

> I'm now stuck about where Greg is, I think. I've gotten the item from
> the clock. I've also entered the cave and received a hint that I need
> to do what Joshua did before the walls of Jericho. I assume that means
> I have to blow some sort of trumpet, but there is none to be found.
> Would someone please explain what I have to do in the cave? Thanks.

(in case you don't want to look in the walkthrough, see below)

> I have to blow some sort of trumpet, but there is none to be found.

Are you sure there's none? What about something similar that you already
found?
Emiliano.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 7:27:00 PM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 00:53:41 +1100, Steve Evans <ybosde@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:24:05 -0400, bk039@freenet.carleton.ca (Raymond
>Martineau) wrote:
>
>>Since my two hours are definatly up for this game...
>>
>>(Since the hint system isn't exactly working as well sa it could, either
>>I'm following the wrong path or there's something that I didn't notice.)

>>.
>>
>>.
>>
>>.
>>
>>I'm basically stuck in the first part of the game. I have:
>>
>>1- gotten the sheets and headwear from the bedroom...
>>2- gotten the hand and attempted to insert the finger into the desk...
>>3- Gotten the poker and got some sticky stuff on it's end...
>>4- Gotten the lamp-chimney from the cabinet, and mounted it on the lamp in
>>the landing...
>>5- Gotten the glass funnel from the bedroom...
>>6- Gotten the gloves from the clock...
>>7- Discovered the mark on the forhead...
>>8- Discovered the adjustable weights in the clock...
>>
>>I really don't know what to do next
>

>(More space)
>

>Your easiest way forward would be to:
>
>1) Closely examine the carvings on the desk in the study; & then

Actually, that's where I was. Even though I searched the desk and put the
finger in the hole, there wasn't any indication on what I had to do
afterwards.

Specifically, I had to type "open desk". This was suprising since I
already tried to "examine desk" and "search desk", both of which should
imply that you want to search the drawers of the desk as well.

>2) Read some of the ancient texts.

Couldn't do that without some form of lighting. Now, that's fixed...
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 1:41:36 AM

> Couldn't do that without some form of lighting. Now, that's fixed...

I am also unable to move a source of light to the study. Maybe someone
could give me a hint on this?
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 3:42:05 AM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:41:36 +0200, Jacek Lenkiewicz <jaceklen@poczta.fm>
wrote:

>> Couldn't do that without some form of lighting. Now, that's fixed...
>>

>I am also unable to move a source of light to the study. Maybe someone
>could give me a hint on this?

You need to solve another puzzle first. Specifically, creating light
within the study. (Try opening the desk after finding a way to unlock the
drawers.)
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 3:46:56 AM

wrote:

>> Couldn't do that without some form of lighting. Now, that's fixed...
>>

>I am also unable to move a source of light to the study. Maybe someone
>could give me a hint on this?

You actually have to create a source of light within the study. To do
this, you need to light the fireplace with something...
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 1:20:13 AM

Raymond Martineau wrote:

> Specifically, I had to type "open desk". This was suprising since I
> already tried to "examine desk" and "search desk", both of which should
> imply that you want to search the drawers of the desk as well.

I can't agree with you. Don't you think that simply looking at the table
("look at" or "examine", I think these commands are treated as
synonymous in most of the modern IF), in order to determine its size,
shape, etc., is one thing, but opening the drawers and poking through
them is a totally separate activity? As far as I know, in most of games
that feature desks with drawers you type "examine desk" to get a
description of the desk itself and its visible surface, and "open
drawers", "search drawers" or "open desk" to check what's inside. In my
opinion, that's the most logical approach.
!