Firewall and Symantec...

Dear all.

I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2005 for security reasons, I
uninstalled it but Windows XP detects always the Norton Firewall ON.
I dowloaded a tool to remove all Symantec programs when Add/Remove Programs
does not work but the same appears.
There is a way to delete it definitly from the register or by using a tool?

Thanks in advanced.
Henry

Hi,

Click start/run and type services.msc, then click ok. See if there is any
trace of the Norton/Symantec firewall running here.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"henpat" <henpat63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear all.
>
> I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2005 for security reasons, I
> uninstalled it but Windows XP detects always the Norton Firewall ON.
> I dowloaded a tool to remove all Symantec programs when Add/Remove
> Programs does not work but the same appears.
> There is a way to delete it definitly from the register or by using a
> tool?
>
> Thanks in advanced.
> Henry

Just a few other "Cleanup" steps to consider:

Add/Remove Programs - check for Symantec WMI update also
remove Live Update and LiveReg.

Do a full system search for Symantec - Likely you'll find at least 2
or more Symantec folders (Remove all, if NO other Symantec or
Norton programs remain on your system.

Finally, Symantec/Norton installs a number of items in the Device
Manager Non-Plug and Play category. You'll need to check/tic
the View option "Show Hidden Devices". Most of the entries will
be named Sym---, Like SymTDI. To verify you need to double
click an entry. When the details box opens, Click the Driver (TAB)
and then Driver Details button. Check/note the "Provider" line, if
it says "Symantec Corporation" - Uninstall that driver.
Even with all this you'll still have a fairly large number of entries in
the Registry that will remain.

> Hi,
>
> Click start/run and type services.msc, then click ok. See if there is any
> trace of the Norton/Symantec firewall running here.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "henpat" <henpat63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Dear all.
>>
>> I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2005 for security reasons, I
>> uninstalled it but Windows XP detects always the Norton Firewall ON.
>> I dowloaded a tool to remove all Symantec programs when Add/Remove
>> Programs does not work but the same appears.
>> There is a way to delete it definitly from the register or by using a
>> tool?
>>
>> Thanks in advanced.
>> Henry

Thank your for your answers.