Firewall and Symantec...

Dear all.

I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2005 for security reasons, I
uninstalled it but Windows XP detects always the Norton Firewall ON.
I dowloaded a tool to remove all Symantec programs when Add/Remove Programs
does not work but the same appears.
There is a way to delete it definitly from the register or by using a tool?

Thanks in advanced.
Henry
3 answers Last reply
More about firewall symantec

    Hi,

    Click start/run and type services.msc, then click ok. See if there is any
    trace of the Norton/Symantec firewall running here.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "henpat" <henpat63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dear all.
    >
    > I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2005 for security reasons, I
    > uninstalled it but Windows XP detects always the Norton Firewall ON.
    > I dowloaded a tool to remove all Symantec programs when Add/Remove
    > Programs does not work but the same appears.
    > There is a way to delete it definitly from the register or by using a
    > tool?
    >
    > Thanks in advanced.
    > Henry

    Just a few other "Cleanup" steps to consider:

    Add/Remove Programs - check for Symantec WMI update also
    remove Live Update and LiveReg.

    Do a full system search for Symantec - Likely you'll find at least 2
    or more Symantec folders (Remove all, if NO other Symantec or
    Norton programs remain on your system.

    Finally, Symantec/Norton installs a number of items in the Device
    Manager Non-Plug and Play category. You'll need to check/tic
    the View option "Show Hidden Devices". Most of the entries will
    be named Sym---, Like SymTDI. To verify you need to double
    click an entry. When the details box opens, Click the Driver (TAB)
    and then Driver Details button. Check/note the "Provider" line, if
    it says "Symantec Corporation" - Uninstall that driver.
    Even with all this you'll still have a fairly large number of entries in
    the Registry that will remain.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Click start/run and type services.msc, then click ok. See if there is any
    > trace of the Norton/Symantec firewall running here.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "henpat" <henpat63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Dear all.
    >>
    >> I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2005 for security reasons, I
    >> uninstalled it but Windows XP detects always the Norton Firewall ON.
    >> I dowloaded a tool to remove all Symantec programs when Add/Remove
    >> Programs does not work but the same appears.
    >> There is a way to delete it definitly from the register or by using a
    >> tool?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advanced.
    >> Henry

    Thank your for your answers.
    I'll try it

    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Just a few other "Cleanup" steps to consider:
    >
    > Add/Remove Programs - check for Symantec WMI update also
    > remove Live Update and LiveReg.
    >
    > Do a full system search for Symantec - Likely you'll find at least 2
    > or more Symantec folders (Remove all, if NO other Symantec or
    > Norton programs remain on your system.
    >
    > Finally, Symantec/Norton installs a number of items in the Device
    > Manager Non-Plug and Play category. You'll need to check/tic
    > the View option "Show Hidden Devices". Most of the entries will
    > be named Sym---, Like SymTDI. To verify you need to double
    > click an entry. When the details box opens, Click the Driver (TAB)
    > and then Driver Details button. Check/note the "Provider" line, if
    > it says "Symantec Corporation" - Uninstall that driver.
    > Even with all this you'll still have a fairly large number of entries in
    > the Registry that will remain.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Click start/run and type services.msc, then click ok. See if there is any
    >> trace of the Norton/Symantec firewall running here.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "henpat" <henpat63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Dear all.
    >>>
    >>> I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2005 for security reasons, I
    >>> uninstalled it but Windows XP detects always the Norton Firewall ON.
    >>> I dowloaded a tool to remove all Symantec programs when Add/Remove
    >>> Programs does not work but the same appears.
    >>> There is a way to delete it definitly from the register or by using a
    >>> tool?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advanced.
    >>> Henry

Firewalls Symantec Norton Windows XP