mohitkakkar

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Hello,

I purchased two LG L1970HR 19 inch monitors for dual monior usage in the office. They seem quite nice. They come with a contrast ratio of 2000:1. I do not know a lot about LCD screens so I am asking you guys is that too high a ratio for general office usage? Some people are telling me that the high contrast ratio will cause things to be too bright so I should get two LG screens in the same line but at 800:1 ratio. I thought I would solicit opinions on this subject.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Hello,

I purchased two LG L1970HR 19 inch monitors for dual monior usage in the office. They seem quite nice. They come with a contrast ratio of 2000:1. I do not know a lot about LCD screens so I am asking you guys is that too high a ratio for general office usage? Some people are telling me that the high contrast ratio will cause things to be too bright so I should get two LG screens in the same line but at 800:1 ratio. I thought I would solicit opinions on this subject.

2000:1 is "creative" (read, phony). 800:1 might be genuine, but unusable.

In real usage, you are most likely to experience approx 200:1 (with white set to usable 100 nits, black likely about 0.50 nits...)

mohitkakkar

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I would like to thank the both of you for your comments.

I had a chance to visit my friend's office where they have many different types of LCD's and I find they were easieer on my eyes than my LG190HR monitor and they only had a 500:1 contrast ratio.

Even the monitor I am using to type this message out has a contrast ratio of only 500:1. It seems I guess that with the LG 1970HR model that the brightness is so strong at 2000:1 the only way I can use the monitor is to decrease the brightness to 15 out of a possible 100 which makes the image difficult to view.

The higher contrast ratios might be better suited for multimedia and games but maybe not for general office use.

I think I am going to try another monitor, one with lower contrast ratio. It seems my eyes do not like the extreme white of the higher ratio ones.

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
You might try the Samsung 971P. I recently read a review that claimed an acutally measured 1200:1 contrast ratio! With the white brightness set to 120 nits, the black measured 0.1 nits.

This is how monitors should be made!